“It Feels So Good to Eat at a Place with Very Friendly Staff”
Review of Grand Lake Kitchen

Grand Lake Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Lake Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 1,436 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner at GLK the other night. It was a Saturday night and the place was busy. We did have reservations but had to wait a little bit. The staff was over the top friendly while we waited. Once we were seated at our table the staff was very attentive and apologized for our wait. The menu is quirky and seems to resemble a deli type selection as well as other items. The meals were delicious.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Tried this place a couple years ago and found it too meat oriented. It has not changed. It offers a difficult menu for vegan or vegetarian diets. This is a popular restaurant and I don't mean to diminish what it does well: like great presentation and very helpful service and strong tasty lattes. I had the french toast with berries today and, like others at the table, found the house bread to be too crusty. Also, if sun exposure is a problem for you, sit in back of the restaurant or go there the day before at the time you choose in order to check out where to sit. The sun is heavy there in the morning.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

My husband and I came into town to visit a friend and decided to try this place. Everything we tried was fantastic! We had some of the fried green tomatoes that any southerner would be proud of, the crazy poutine style Reuben fries, that were outrageous! The Roasted Cauliflower made me actually like Cauliflower. Our main courses that we shared were the fried pork chop, which was beautifully done and delicious, and the Seared King Salmon which was done perfectly, not overcooked in the least. We polished it all off with some of their homemade donuts. They were just stupid good. This place is the perfect farm to fork restaurant and is located right off the Grand Exit. The shops around it are cute and you could take a nice walk after your dinner around Lake Merit. Oakland has really changed since I lived in The Bay Area, all for the better if you ask me. If this place is an example of what is happening in the Oakland food scene, then I can't wait to explore some more!

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Met 6 friends here for dinner - my first time here. Arrived 10 minutes early & was seated right away. Though known more for its breakfast & lunch, GLK has a nice dinner menu & wine/beer/cocktail selection. My friend recommended the GLK burger, which was very good (even though I had it without bleu cheese because I'm lactose intolerant) & came with really great fries. I also had a chocolate porter made by a local brewery (very good) & tasted the fried green tomatoes (also very good).

Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals - GLK is just a nice place to eat & meet. I hear there are longish waits for breakfast ...

Reviewed 18 July 2017

I don't live in Oakland but I've been to GLK twice. Once for brunch when I had the porcini french toast with poached eggs and it was one of the best breakfast I ever had. Just the right mix of flavors and textures. I could dream about this dish. More recently I got the Cal Salad plate to go. Simple ingredients prepared well. Would have been boring at a lesser restaurant. Arugula, cheese, avocado, pita grilled top perfection, hummus and harissa. Brought it back to the patio where I was staying, poured a glass of wine and was in heaven. Getting hungry just thinking about it.