“Perfect Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland
“Perfect Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a month while our home was being remodeled. We couldn't have asked for a better situation. The staff was so friendly and accommodating, without fail. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Free full breakfast 7 days a week and free dinner Monday - Thursday. Bay view, super clean and remodeled rooms, pool, spa, right next to 880 for easy freeway access and just minutes from Jack London Square.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We spent nine days. Found the staff friendly and courteous. Had a ground floor suite on the waterfront side a short distance from the pool. The waterfront was clean and well kept except for a few doggie doos on the lawn (pet owners not taking care of their duties very well). Really thought their included breakfasts and dinners (weeknights M-Th) a nice benefit. The room was pleasant, but the furniture is starting to show a little wear. The location is convenient to the highway (880) and did not notice any traffic noise from our room. No shuttle service to or from airport. However, there is shuttle service to the Ferry and BART. We found the ferry service convenient and a relaxing way to get to San Francisco. Security was pretty good through most of our stay, but on the last day we were at the pool and some (I think) non guests were taking advantage of the pool and made us uncomfortable.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here recently and was quite happy with the service. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly. I had a studio suite which was quite spacious. It was nice having a full size refrigerator in the room. The complimentary breakfast and dinner each night were a nice touch. They also provide wine and beer to go along with your dinner. There is also a grill on the patio if you choose to cook your own food. While there the hotel got a new manager and it was a nice touch that he came around during dinner and introduced himself.

I only have one complaint and that involves the shuttle service. There are conflicting times on when the shuttle leaves. The shuttle driver was also not the friendliest person and quite often had an attitude. Also, when the shuttle isn't running the hotel will call a cab and they are supposed to pay for it. I left and came back when the shuttle wasn't running and I paid out of pocket both times. The shuttle service and having to pay for the cab out of pocket is what kept me from giving this Homewood Suites a 5.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least ten times in the past two years. The past two stays have convinced me not to stay here again. In June, I reserved a one bedroom suite as I always do, the hotel clerk assigned me a studio. When I returned downstairs to tell her that was not the room that I reserved, her response was that is what I have for you. Fortunately, I had a copy of my reservation and showed her where I had reserved a one bedroom suite. She said sorry, we don't have any available so it became my problem.

In July, I decided to give he hotel another try. Due to a delayed flight, I canceled my hotel one night reservations at the airport with the hopes that I would be able to check into the Homeward suites earlier than the normal 3pm check in time. I have stayed in h
hilton hotels across the country and have always found them to be accommodating to early arrivals. When I called to see if I might check in earlier than 3pm, the clerk said emphatically that check in time was 3pm. I asked her if sh could have housekeeping get the room ready a little earlier, I think she was hell bent on making me wait till 3pm to check in. So after staying at the airport for 6 hours and flying for 6 hours, I sat in the Homeward suite lobby for 4 hours waiting for someone to clean a room so that I could check in. I think the clerk took great pride in making me wait til the normal check in.

I also smelled someone smoking an illegal substance while I was walking to my room

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank THOM8188
Gales Ferry, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed for three nights on a business trip and would be happy to stay here again. Even though we had to endure a bit of construction and use a different entrance, the ammenities offered and friendliness of the staff made up for the inconveniences. Full hot breakfast every morning AND free dinner are included, plus an evening manager's reception with wine and beer. I sure didn't expect that. The hotel is right on the waterfront (not the bay) and has a nice walkway and very nice grounds in the back. The front is just freeway and train tracks. Jack London Square is just down the Embarcadero. The hotel is a bit difficult to get to and from, but is right off I80.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business