“Good Family Hotel”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel with our relatives when in Oakland for a party. We had a two year old with us. The rooms were comfortable and clean. And the breakfast in the lobby was really good. Cindy at the front desk was awesome. I would recommend getting the waterview room. We did have quite a bit of noise from the freeway.

Room Tip: Pick a waterview room for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 November 2011

Based on the hotel site, I expected this to be closer to Jack London Square. The hotel itself was OK, but the location was in what is otherwise an industrial area right beside the 880. This made me a bit uncomfortable about parking. I was put in a room that was pretty far from either exit in my wing, and getting in and out to the car was annoying. The breakfast was adequate, with a selection of so-so bread and pastry, two choices of juice, sausages, potatoes, eggs. I would have liked some sort of pancake or waffle option. The room was comfortable, if a bit spartan. The staff seemed very pleasant. If you are looking for quick on-off the highway, you're fine going south, but it's a bit of a drive to get back on going north. The view of the estuary didn't make up for the view out front.

Room Tip: Apparently there's a Starbucks "the next parking lot over." This came up when I wante...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2011

There are positive and negatives about this hotel. But overall, our stay was very nice and I would recommend this hotel to others. I would also suggest a waterview room (quieter) in the main building. Unlike comments I read for the other Hilton owned Oakland properties, Homewood Oakland Waterfront rooms are quiet and the beds are quite comfortable.

The Positives: The hotel is clean and located immediately next to I-880 with easy on-ramp access to the Oakland Airport, downtown Oakland, Alameda, Coast Guard Island, and the Oakland A sport/convention center. The view from the waterview rooms is spectacular, and I would recommend a room in the main building where check-in is located ... and would also recommend the queen size suite overlooking the water as it also has a balcony. We did not use the pool area as it was closed during our visit, but it appeared nice. There is an outside seating area adjacent the pool which looks out at the water and marina. There is a paved walkway behind the hotel that allows for walks along the water. There is a Starbucks close by that is well within walking distance by as well as a Quizno's, and a Seafood Restaurant a short distance from the hotel. Coast Guard Island in immediaely across from the hotel. Breakfast is included with your stay ... but before you jump up and down, understand this is a glorified continental breakfast. The actual hot breakfast they boast of is along the lines of a put together, downgraded McDonald's type croissant sandwich. We stayed on a Sunday, but apparently they have a single choice dinner menu for guests as well ... one can only hope is it of much better quality than the hot breakfast. There is free coffee offered in the lobby ... and every room comes with free internet. Our room had one of the older style televisions and I don't know if any of the rooms come with a flat screen.

The Negatives: Reception first put us in the outer most building ... and as soon as my wife and I walked in, we virtually gagged by the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke lingering in the hallway and elevator. Apparently smoking is only allowed on the first floor ... but hey, smoke rises and so does the smell that goes with it. We quickly retreated, returned to reception, and they changed our accomodations without hesitation. The other negatives is they allow pets in the rooms ... actually I should list that as a positive because I think the fact pets can travel with you is fantastic ... it was just there was an faint odor of pet in our room. Rooms on the I-880 side of the building face the freeway.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a water view. I would imagine the rooms facing I-880 are noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DennisAtkinson
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I just needed a quick place to crash each night while visiting my kids over the weekend. The hotel was clean, location was safe, every staff member I met could not have been more friendly or helpful, and the hot breakfasts were very good. The property seems to be one of the properties that is popular with Oakland raider fans, as when I checked out Sunday AM the dining area was packed and were all there and had their 'game faces' on. Go Raiders!!!

The breakfast staff did an execellent job preparing the meal for the group.

Great Property, if the occasion for me to return to Oakland occurs again, I will plan on returning.

Room Tip: The location is a bit challenging to get at, and while they charge a few $$$ more for the harbor sid...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1952Bruce
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The customer service from all staff was superb! The room was clean and quiet with a great view of the Bay. The daily breakfast and "Welcome Home" meals were a nice touch.

Room Tip: We loved the room overlooking the Bay - beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple