“Lunch in Oakland Chinatown”
Review of Buffet Fortuna

Buffet Fortuna
Ranked #627 of 1,436 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: telephone 510-839-1688
Description: telephone 510-839-1688
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Was in Chinatown today. Heard that the buffet at Buffet Fortuna was pretty good so I decided to give them a try. Walked in for lunch. Lunch for an adult costed $11.99 or $10.95 for seniors. They have ample seating and 7 rows of assorted foods. One row was all salads, another was all seafood, then dim sums, vegetarian dishes, a variety of sushi platters, another row of carbohydrates ie. jook, yam, red bean dessert and hot and sour soup and finally a row of Asian desserts. For that price, tea, coffee, soft drinks as well as a mango slushie was included. I also saw some one having icecream, but I was too stuffed to eat anymore. They were constantly bringing out fresh food. Come here for a decent choice of food at a budget price. I would give them 3.5 stars because the servers were friendly (I spoke Chinese to them.) However, parking may be challenging to some.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Not the greatest buffet food, but certainly better than a few others I've experienced. The fried rice, chow fun, and noodles were just that, adequate. Not as flavorful as I would expect - fell rather flat. The peas in the fried rice seemed like they had been frozen and not cooked with enough water or else were they just old and dry? I tried the pineapple and peaches - difficult to describe but they were not llike any other pineapple or peaches I'd ever had (not as good) at other places. I enjoyed the sushi - thought it was fine = it just didn't have the artful aesthetic of a sushi only restaurant, not that I expected it! :) there was a section dedicated to shellfish, but nothing looked appealing enough to me to try. There did not seem to be as many choices at this buffet restaurant as others I have been to. Bottom line, everything I chose was edible and I did alright with it, but nothing really stood out. There are two soda machines and I selected lemonade, but water came out of the spigot. I decided to try the mango ice, which is whirled around in its own machine (like a Slurpee machine). The mango ice is an orange color slush. It was good for being a slush. I also tried the Sprite (didn't care for it) and the hot tea (dispensed from a machine) and found it to be fine.I meant to look for a soft ice cream machine, but forgot. Most Asian buffets i've been to have the soft ice cream. My friend did not see the ice cream either. We were here for a memorial service and a large area had been set aside for us. There is a an access ramp to the front door.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Every now and then my spouse and friends would head toward Oakland, California for a buffet lunch or dinner either for baby, birthday or graduation party And, it would be at Buffet Fortuna on Broadway. The place also changed ownership and developed better menu. One will find there's too many food and variety of them. Just pick what one think is good to one's taste.

This time it was for lunch on a Sunday. There were a least five food stations, a dessert station and a beverage area for tea, coffee, and soda drinks. I went around and reviewed one station. It provided soy milk, plain congee and porridges. I also selected roasted chicken, fried chicken wings.. its Haw Gai and curry fish ball.
So what was my impression on the tastes. The curry fish ball was not bad , could have more spices. The roasted chicken thigh was not bad, though the fried chicken didn't have any tastes. As for the rice porridges, no taste, no varieties of condiments to add. Not worth trying.

There's a Japanese food station. Though there were only four varieties of sushis I loaded them up along with the Japanese salad. They were passable. Just try it as the food is different from the Chinese cuisine.

And, one is always kind of stupid to load up on fried beef and rice noodles. Noodles are inexpensive. Its the beef, vegetables, etc that are added on to the noodles cost more. Here, a huge amount of food for people to select, but the taste in these food do not stand out. Maybe its so people can add spicey sauce, salt, etc to one's own taste instead.

Finally, instead , I went for vanila ice cream and rice topicia . No cakes or pastries were outstanding or pleasing to the eyes.

So the verdicts are that there huge varieties of Chinese and Japanese food to select from if one is hungry. If one is looking distinctive tastes or décor, Buffet Fortuna is not the place.

Price is reasonable for what one can eat, and walk away not hungry!

Reviewed 29 March 2016

Okay the low down is the shrimp dumplings Dim Sum called Hagow. That is not shrimp inside. They use to have wonderful Hagow, not any more. It like more rice noodle mush dyed pink sprinkled with shrimp broth. It tastes gooey. Do not get or eat with caution. But there are many things there that are fabulous like the french fries, the other varieties of potstickers, the multiple soups/broths/porridges, pork and chicken. The mango drink taste freezer burnt but to make up for it the sodas are fine. The coffee and tea are good. The salad and fruits I would not get. Especially the apple in some kind of odd white concoction. Overall the food is still worth going just beware of the ones I stated. Unfortunately the crust on the don tot pastry has changed for the worse and the brocolli over salted but the pluses the corn was delicious. The squash and eggplant were underdone sadly so. I did not get a chance to try anything because the fries were so good, I went back over and over again and got stuffed. Everyone else discovered this gem too and it kept running out.

Reviewed 29 June 2015 via mobile

I love a good Asian buffet. I went to this one at around 6PM/7PM. Perhaps it was a matter of time that made the food very unsatisfying. It tasted as if the food had been sitting in the buffet all day. The watermelon looked "bruised," the sushi tasted a little old and flavorless, and other foods such as chicken - the same. I felt that the restaurant didn't care about what it fed to its customers.