“Great & creative food”

Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Vista
Transit: Nearest Bart Station: Macarthur Taxis are often available outside the station for a quick ride to our restaurant.
Description: Commis restaurant serves a cuisine driven by modern and classic culinary traditions and is composed of ingredients that are grown, harvested, and foraged from the land that surrounds us. We offer a nightly coursed menu. ***If you or your dining companions have any food allergies, please note them when completing your reservation. Allergies will be accommodated with a spontaneous vegetarian preparation. Thank you for helping us best serve your party. THE CHEF'S COUNTER SEATING OFFERS A FRONT ROW VIEW OF OUR OPEN KITCHEN AND AVAILABILITY FOR THE COUNTER IS MANAGED DIRECTLY BY THE RESTAURANT.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The rating should probably be closer to 4.5 - 5 for the food and 4 for the service.Like many of the restaurants where we ate in May in SF and then one particular place in London, it was actually hard to see where the restaurant was on the street. Although we came for the food, I'd have to contrast the service with our own local world class restaurant (where chefs from all over the country come in to eat). I didn't pay attention to previous reviews here and elsewhere but the service was genuinely cold. We didn't make any demands and yet felt like you couldn't move anything on the table without someone moving it back to where they thought it should be. The food, on the other hand, was delicious and creative - almost more so than a certain more costly place in SF. (I loved the bread that fit perfectly in its container that was brought out later in the meal - both delicious and beautiful.) While we were there, there was an incident with the couple who were seated next to us after the original couple left. They were complaining about how the restaurant wasn't accommodating them etc. The servers (and head server) tried very hard but the meal is prix fixe and honestly, I received messages both at reservation and beyond asking about special needs. They had plenty of opportunity to tell the restaurant so that food would not be wasted. In this case, I side with the restaurant and was sympathetic about how badly they were being treated (the language and tones used were not as civil as they should have been). In any case, it was well worth going to the effort of the advance reservation system (also confusing) and the effort to get there just to eat the food.

1  Thank aleepur

Reviewed 26 October 2018

I was disappointed with my meal here. The promise of unique and creative flavor combinations was enticing yet fell short in the delivery. There was simply very little flavor in almost every dish. The presentation was stunning and the descriptions fascinating. Some dishes were delicious, like the uni, but alone, uni is delicious! The staff is warm and professional and the ambiance is nice.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Eat here the other night, it's excellent. I'm not going to get into a super detailed review here, because it's not needed. This is a 2 star Michelin restaurant, and that's exactly what you get. (actually maybe the only 2 star in the East Bay, or maybe it's Oakland, but whatever it is, we are lucky to have it here) What I will focus on here, because in "high end dining" it's very relevant, is the value you get for your money. $300 with wine pairing, cheap? Of course not, but if you want cheap you should not be going to a 2 star Michelin restaurant. However, compare that to a two star in SF and see what your costs are. (I still think, Gary Denko, in the city, is a better "value" but I believe that it's not a 2 star restaurant any more.) Anyways, everything about our experience was excellent. Food was excellent, ambience is excellent, etc etc. My only complaint would be, the waiters spoke in such hushed tones, it was hard for me to hear their food descriptions! Oh well. Lovely, great job everybody there!!!!

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Our friend said he’s been wanting to try out Commis. We met up for a late dinner at 9pm. I like how they served our food in a timely manner(we did 14 course set menu). Throughout the courses they served, the sauce or flavoring had a light corn taste to most. We thought our fish (halibut) was supposed to be served cold, they overheard us and ask us if they could make us another warm one. Which I thought was honest and thoughtful.

In all, I would say it’s a great place for couples.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Annabelle L
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I’d have done full 5 stars except that the menu didn’t feel very summery. Lamb is associate with spring and there were several white sauces dishes which I’d prefer were highlighting bold summer colors and flavors but I’m being silly and picky. But that’s the only reason or omitting the 5th star. The taste profiles and presentation of each dish was superb. The service friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Great wine pairings featuring more unusual wines from Kent/England for example.
Expect to pay close to $700 for two but you’ll leave with great food memories! Sit at counter to enjoy the show. 6 counter seats.

Date of visit: August 2018