“Outstanding and authentic Italian food”

Belotti Ristorante E Bottega
Ranked #7 of 1,363 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed 17 October 2016

This has become our new favorite spot. The pastas are all perfect, especially love the pappardelle with mushrooms. The batutta, a kind of carpaccio with quail egg and truffles is mandatory and they carry a great wine from Umbria called Mantefalco which is brilliant with this food. Lovely service too.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Small, intimate trattoria in Rockridge. Beautiful plating of distinctive Italian dishes. Antipasto available in three sizes and colorfully presented on a wooden platter with a unique WOW factor.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

My wife and I have lived in Italy, and we enjoy Italian food a great deal. When we lived there, one of the things that became apparent was the regional nature of the food, and a much more pronounced seasonality to the menu offerings than is typical of many Italian restaurants here. We lived in Liguria, near Lombardy, but had not sampled the specialties of Lombardy, and so I was intrigued by this relatively new entry into the Italian food scene on College Avenue. I particularly enjoy getting exposed to dishes that are a bit unusual, and go beyond the typical Italian tourist menu offerings.

I have now been there twice, both times for lunch, once with a colleague, and once with family. I enjoyed both of my meals very much. One both occasions, we opted for the tuna (tonno) tartare and the beef (battuta) tartare starters. Although not inexpensive, the quality of the ingredients is high, and the portions are quite substantial. I have seen couples sharing one. I had a chance to sample several of the pasta dishes, and I did like all of them. The pasta is freshly made. The casoncelli is probably my favorite. I liked the agnolotti di Lidia as well. I was intrigued by the tagliatelle, which comes with a wild boar sugo. Boar is a fairly lean meat, and on the occasion that I had the dish there were several rather chewy and gristly pieces of meat in the sauce, and this detracted from an otherwise pleasant dish. The potato gnocchi were nice and tender, but the textural contrast in the gnocchi offering at Julia’s in Berkeley made it slightly more appealing. We indulged in panna cotta for dessert, and it was quite good, although I have yet to find a version I like quite as much as the version at Riva Cucina. (This is the delightful problem you have when you have many excellent Italian restaurants in the area.) The pours of wine are reasonably generous, and there is a nice selection of wines available by the glass. We indulged in a bottle of Brunello ($70) with our lunch. The wine list includes multiple Barolo, Barbaresco, and Brunello offerings, and some older vintages as well for those on expense accounts. If you bring your own, corkage is $20/bottle for the first two bottles and $30 for each additional bottle. Tab for three, with tip came to $230; the prior lunch for two ended up at about $65/person. Yes, you can go and dine less expensively, but this is not where I would go for an inexpensive Italian lunch. It is a bit of a treat to dine at Belotti. Service was very friendly, accommodating, and professional on both occasions.

Overall, I like the restaurant very much, and I expect to return periodically. I would strongly encourage reservations. The first time we went for dinner, just a short time after the restaurant had opened, we couldn’t get a table. The restaurant seems to get peak lunch business at about 1 PM, and at that point there are no tables available. It seemed that the majority of those dining had reservations. If you plan to drive, arrive early so that you have time to find parking, particularly at lunch. Searching the side streets is recommended. It is perhaps too early to tell with certainty, but the menu did not seem to have changed over a period of several months. With only three main course offerings, and no obvious specials, I am going to guess that the restaurant will be very popular with occasional diners (those visiting every few months), but will become a bit limiting for those who live in the area as we do, and who might otherwise be tempted to eat there more frequently. We well see. Fortunately, Enoteca Molinari offers a change of pace, and is quite close by.

Reviewed 29 August 2016

Welcoming and attentive staff. Start with Battuta, sublime Piedmontese rib-eye tartare served with a large, Parmasan crisp, centered with a quail egg yolk. The star of the Antipasto platter was the tastiest Prosciutto crudo I have ever eaten outside of Italy. Pastas: Casoncelli, stuffed tortellini-type pasta; Spaghetti, San Marzano sauce bursting with fresh tomato flavor, along with burrata and fresh basil; Gnocchi, in a mouth-watering Bolognese sauce. Make a reservation; Belotti is a known winner!

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

We had a delicious dinner at this small neighborhood Italian restaurant. Portions were small on the pasta dishes so order a starter or salad, but the food was wonderful. We were able to sit at the bar without a reservation. Wine by the glass was a little pricey, but tasted great with the meal. Friendly service from the bartender/waiters.