“Foods OK, service & cleanliness needs improvement.”

Oka's Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 52 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2016

I used to eat here like every other week but service and cleanliness has declined. Ordered the sesame chicken bowl and a funny taste this last time like old oil. My paper napkin was stuck to the table from something that wasn’t clean off properly. Décor is in dire need of updating. This has been three bad visits in a row so I am unlikely to return anytime soon. It bums me out as it was one of my favorite places to eat.

Reviewed 23 March 2016

Big surprise, this is a top quality sushi place! We are sushi-lovers from San Diego, so our bar is set pretty high. Oka's exceeded our expectations!

Reviewed 2 January 2016

This is just a solid restaurant in a Yosemite gateway town. If it was in the middle of San Francisco I would say it is 'average' but considering they have to truck the sushi all the way up here I am always happy with the freshness of the fish.

We had the rainbow roll, spicy tuna, edamame, and chicken teriyaki tonight and all were delicious.

The staff are very friendly and this place has not changed much since I first went there 6 years ago.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

We've been going to Oka since before they moved into their new restaurant (18+ years). Back in the day my husband would walk in and they'd shout out in greeting, "Chicken Rice Bowl Boy!" That was part of it's charm, and it made us just shrug and laugh when we'd show up on a winter day only to find their handwritten note on the door saying they'd closed for the day to go skiing. That was Oka for you. You'd just come back another day for their great food. Now, not so much. Something got lost in the move and the years and the changing menu. I do still enjoy going, though now it's for special occasions since the prices went up. The food is OK, but not what it used to be. Enough said.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

The service was great....we had Amanda ...she is a very pleasant server, always right on task and smiling,...we like her. The food was hot and fresh and was good. Loved the sake and the company of my lovely wife. The value was fair too.