“Abysmal service”

Ranked #111 of 492 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: USD 18 - USD 23
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Woody's Wharf has a unique waterfront location on Newport Bay that serves seafood & drinks. Guests can dock their boats and have a dockside or waterfront meal.
Reviewed 29 March 2021

Service this bad means incompetent management. 15 minutes before being greeted? 30 minutes with no drinks at the table (despite ordering them at around 20 minutes)? We walked out. So many good and attentive restaurants in the area, don’t bother with this one.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (215)

Reviewed 8 December 2020

We had a very disappointing experience at Woody's on 12/5/20. I spoke with Christa and made a reservation for 12 people for a birthday brunch on 12/5/20 – as we had pretty good experiences there in the past for business and pleasure. I explained that it was for a b-day celebration and we did not want to be seated in the front parking lot (due to COVID restrictions) and requested the back dock patio area that was open. Christa was very accommodating and explained that they had a large party reserved for 11 AM with a 2 hr limit and if we came in at 1:30 PM we would be seated in the back patio as requested - give or take a short wait for clean-up. I called back 2 hours later and reduced the party size to just 8 people, making it easier for them to accommodate us. Upon arrival at 1:20 PM we were told by the doorman that it would be a short wait while they cleaned our table for 12 (I corrected him…it was only 8 after I called in – he looked perplexed). After about 30 minutes they said our table was ready at the end of the PARKING LOT right next to the main street. I explained that Christa reserved a spot for us in the back dock, but the doorman had no note of that in the reservation. The manager came out and told us rudely that there was no table for us in the back and that they don't make reservations for the back patio. I said Christa, who took our reservation, did tell us we would get a table on the back patio and that one should be available by 1:30 PM. I asked to speak with Christa and the manager refused, saying she was busy and she was one of their top waitresses and that she would NEVER say such a thing (essentially calling me a liar). He then said we could give up our reservation and wait for the back patio table, so I ask how long. He said I don't know. I ask if he had an estimate, like 15 minutes, half an hour, an hour...? He said NO, he had no idea. Normally I would have left that instant, but I explained to him that we had a 4 PM boat reservation that I could not cancel and 8 hungry people so trying to find another location nearby with waiting lists was not an option. He could care less! We reluctantly took the parking lot table in direct sunlight and loud cars driving by. Needless to say, we needed a lot of drinks to get over it and try to enjoy ourselves. We will NOT BE GOING BACK TO WOODY'S AGAIN, to say the least. They should have handled the situation much better – people make mistakes, but there is NO EXCUSSS for rudeness!

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 13 August 2020 via mobile

I was hungry and I pulled in here because they had parking! Ordered an cold Pacific and a mahi mahi sandwich. I was here at 2:30 on a Wed and it was empty.

Great friendly service.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 10 March 2020

The prices are great for Happy Hour. For less than $20.00, I can have a glass of wine and 2 Happy Hour Specials. Last time I visited, I ordered a glass of Chardonnay, 2 fish tacos and sliders. Because Kristan is such a great waitress, and Jaime is a great support employee, I always tip them well.

Date of visit: March 2020
3  Thank 105marionc
Reviewed 21 February 2020 via mobile

Disappointing. Food was ordinary. We ordered fish and chips and fish tacos for lunch. Fish in fish and chips ordered were good but the fries , tho seasoned, didn’t taste fresh nor really had much flavor despite all the seasoning. Didnt enjoy. The fried fish in the tacos was the same fish....but was soggy with the salsa, and not much cabbage. The back beans ( who ruins these?) were dry, tasteless, seemed old.the Spanish rice did not seem fresh either nor very good. Overall, not good at all. Air conditioning blew on us and the waiter said they couldn’t do anything about it but finally said we could try another table next to us. Then they sat people at it. Never came to refill water glasses. Wouldn’t go back for a meal.

Date of visit: February 2020