All reviews rv resort boat launch full hookups inflatable water park packed in like sardines laundry room orange county fashion island clubhouse brunch cabana balboa grill
Reviewed 19 July 2018

While booking my family’s trip to Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort and Marina, I
must admit, I had my reservations. Although I have been an avid camper all my life, I had little experience beach camping, especially when it came to beach camping at a resort style campground mainly centered around RVs. My wife and I had a couple of friends who had made reservations well in advance, which I would recommend if you wish to vacation here, and offered to let us use one of the two sites that they had booked. Taking into consideration the pleasant experience my family and I had, combined with the fact that it is only a four-hour drive to Newport, CA from Las Vegas, I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys camping and/or “glamping.”
Upon arrival to Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort and Marina, you are warmly greeted by two helpful security guards who are more than willing to welcome you, as well as point you in the direction of the registration building. After registering inside of a quaint structure inside of what the locals call “The Village,” which is comprised of a market resembling your basic gas station mini mart, coin operated laundry room, registration office, swimming pool and fitness center all resembling rustic South American structures, you will make your way to your campsite. At this point, you will most likely notice the overall friendly demeanor of your fellow campers and interim neighbors, waving as you pass.
During the setup of your campsite, the briny smell of the ocean, which is about two hundred yards away, will tickle your nose as the cool breeze gently blows a refreshing mist upon your face. Your campsite will provide you with enough room for one vehicle, picnic table (included with the site), and most recreational vehicles up to fifty feet in length. While setting up my trailer under the shade of the tree nestled in the corner of our site, I had the opportunity to converse will a lovely couple. Being temporary residents of Newport Dunes, who had nothing but positive things to say regarding their overall experience thus far, I took great stock in their agreeable reviews of the campground.
Once we completed all the challenging tasks of setting up, the family and I headed down to the water to take a dip in the brisk, but all so refreshing on slightly warm eighty-four-degree Summer day, ocean water. Then we decided to spend a little time relaxing on the warm, soft, secluded beach sand and listening to the soothing sounds of waves crashing interrupted only by the laughter of children as they run playfully by.
Before dinner, we felt a shower was in order. Therefore, we made our way over to one of the four locations housing private restrooms and showers, conveniently located near the back row of campsites, and took a steamy rinse. The only downfall to the showers was the timer that shut the water off every fifteen seconds, forcing you to push the metallic button located on the wall under the faucet to commence your shower again. Due to this reason, we decided to take the remainder of our showers in our own trailer. Which was not a big deal, taking into consideration that our campsite came with full RV hook-ups. Water, power, sewage, and cable were all included in our seventy-five dollars per night site fee.
The following day, my daughter spent two hours swimming in the water, playing on an obstacle course monitored full time by trained lifeguards. The obstacle course consists of several large, inflatable objects resembling mountains, trampolines, and other fun objects that will tantalize both children and the inner children of grownups alike. Children under twelve do require adult supervision though, so don’t plan on relaxing in the sun, on the beach, while your young children utilize this course. There is a rental fee associated with the use of resort life jackets that are mandatory to wear always while on the obstacle course.
We then rode our bikes to the Fashion Island for lunch and a little shopping. It was a fantastic way for us to take in some of the local culture and cuisine. We rode back to the campground that evening and made the decision to take a leisurely stroll through the campground. Taking our time to respond to the welcoming hellos coming from many of the sites, we made our way down to the north end of the cove just as the resort crew finished setting up a large white projection screen, sound system, and projector to screen movie. We made ourselves comfortable as Rio began to play. for every Friday and Saturday Evening, the resort holds a family friendly movie night just twenty yards from the ocean.
With full time security monitoring the premises, most of the other campers seemed to keep things moderately quiet. They allow guests to play music, party, and have an enjoyable time while ensuring that families do not feel uncomfortable or inconvenienced by any one group’s festivities. I feel that this campground does an excellent job catering to guests of all ages and with all levels of camping experience. They even go as far as to offer cabins for those who prefer a structure with a solid foundation, starting around one hundred and fifty-five dollars per night. Based on my personal experience, I would rate this campground 4.8 out of 5 with the only deductions being for slightly limited site space and somewhat high nightly fees. Although, the site size can be remedied for an additional nightly fee, which I found to be rather exuberant, starting at three hundred dollars more per night than what we paid for the location that my family and I stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank ronckearney
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This was our fourth year to celebrate the 4th of July at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort.
This place has it all!! You can tent camp, hook up your RV or rent a cute bungalow. They have showers( clean but the water was a bit cold ), swimming pool, game room where the kids played ping pong and air hockey, beach on the bay with blowup obstacle course and you can rent paddle boards, peddle boats, and bikes. There is a cute little general store and restaurant, Back Bay Bistro which is right next to the boat launch.
The security crew is awesome, shout out to the guy from Tennessee, he is so kind and patient... they all were great. There are lots of activities for kids and grown ups plus quite possibly the best 4th of July fireworks show around!!
Highly recommend this place!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

We have been coming here for years and have ignored the price increase because it is convenient for a quick staycation. This, current trip, might be our last though. The woman at the front desk was so rude and made me feel like I was hassling her and not "good enough" for Newport dunes. It was just a crappy way to start the day. Then the site was no where near level, something you would expect from a parking lot style park. Then the pool guy hassled us because we weren't on his list. Finally, they used to let you have one RV and one car per spot. They refused to give us an extra car tag and charged my husband for having dinner with us. Just bad customer service all around.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank salinasme
jyerzik, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2018

We are so sorry you experienced a rude front desk attendant. We have been working hard at training our staff to treat each and every guest with the utmost respect. Sorry about the parking as it is very tight here. We hope you'll give us another try.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

We met up with family here for a short spring break getaway. Half of us had a beachfront cottage while the other half were in the RV Park. For the price, location, and clientele they are known to serve, I had higher expectations. Regarding the RV Park, they really pack you in. The space in between each other are extremely narrow, especially if you have a larger trailer. At peak time, it gets very noisy.
I have more to say about the cottages because that’s where we stayed. The price is not cheap by any means, and it practically doubles on the weekend, even during the off-season. Here were some of the issues that we found:
-broken thermostat
-only one extra set of linen
-broken freezer
-dripping shower faucet
-burned out porch light
-no linen or bedding for loft area
The thermostat, porch light, and freezer were fixed on the second night. The staff were responsive when I called. But those kinds of things should be taken care of before a guest checks in.
When I went to check out, i asked to speak to the manager but he wasn’t on the premises and was told he would call me as soon as he arrived. I still haven’t received a phone call.
This place gets a couple of points for nice, down to earth staff and relative cleanliness. Other than that, quality and the customer experience do not seem to be things that they value.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Angie C
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Hello,
Thank You for your review.
Please call me to talk about your review.
I'm off on Monday and Tuesday
949 999 3103

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here with our friends in their 5th wheel. We could not believe this place! Sites are stupid close - you are practically reaching out your kitchen window to shake hands with your neighbor in theirs. Absolutely no room for parking. Kids and adults were playing bean bag toss/cornhole in the street. That was also the only area to have your bonfire - in the street. You are DIRECTLY under the jet flight path to Orange County Airport. But hey that’s ok! The jets drown out the traffic noise on the hill running the upper perimeter of this place. If people think this is camping or getting away from it all....well I’ve got a bridge to sell ya!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank zengecko
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Hello,
I'm sorry for your experience.
Our Maintenance team went in all of our cottages to make sure everything is working order..
Please call me if you would like to try us again.
My office phone number is 949 999 3103.
I will make sure you have great stay.
Rick Vara