“Not the experience I was expecting. Service fell flat”
Review of Pelican Grill

Pelican Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Pelican Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 524 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: USD 30 - USD 40
Cuisines: American
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pelican Hill Road and Newport Coast Drive
Description: Located at Pelican Hill Golf Club, Pelican Grill presents the quintessential California dining experience, featuring cuisine prepared with the highest-quality fresh and locally sourced foods, al fresco dining on the ocean-view terrace, and a popular lounge with two huge 9' x 6' HD TVs for viewing sports events.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were recently staying at the Villas and looking for a casual place to eat. Of course Pelican Grill seemed to be a good pick but we were sadly mistaken — twice.

Our first experience was at dinner on a weeknight. We had a 7:00 reservation in which they finished setting up our table (party of four) and seated us around 7:20. The waiter greeted us promptly and we thought service was off to a great start. We placed our orders and then waited over an hour before we saw any food. No feedback or updates from our waiter. The maitre’d stopped by to ask how we were enjoying our dinner to which we replied that we were still waiting. After another ten minutes or so we were served our food along with any number of excuses. It was obvious that the food was haphazardly finished and the roasted brussel sprouts were still cold in the middle.

Our second experience was for brunch. Our waiter was awesome and did everything in his power to make it an awesome experience. The food came out faster this time but this ended up with a filet mignon we ordered as “medium” was literally raw in the center. We pointed it out to the server who apologized and walked the plate back to the kitchen. Five minutes later still raw but burnt on the outsides.

Service tries to be good but couldn’t overcome basic issues in the kitchen. For me I’d be very reluctant to go back

Pelican_Hill_Resort, Manager at Pelican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hello Mike,

I apologize that your two visits to Pelican Grill fell so short of the dining experience you were looking forward to. Our goal is for guests to enjoy every moment of their stay at Pelican Hill, and I'm disappointed we missed the mark. Please know I've personally addressed your feedback with our culinary team, and I'd also like to connect you with Pelican Grill's General Manager, so we may personally apologize. I've shared his direct phone number with you via private message, and we hope to welcome you back for a much-improved visit soon.

Kind regards,
Tom Donovan
Managing Director, The Resort at Pelican Hill

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Our second time staying here and still blown away! We had three days of meetings and I was most impressed with the attentive, friendly and efficient staff. Our 7:00 am breakfast was always on time and expertly prepared. The support staff were constantly tending to every detail yet they never caused a distraction to our meeting. I have been attending such meetings for thirty years and these people have it mastered. Excellent experience!!

1  Thank lucas h
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Extremely good quality food with amazing service. Everyone was so kind and welcoming in the entire place. Would highly recommend this restaurant. Definitely on the pricey end but it’s well worth it. Caesar salad and BBQ pizza were great appetizers. The pretzel bread they Bring out to start is amazing and all the way from Germany! I had the scallop special and I can’t remember what the details were but this is the kind of place where whatever you get, you can expect it to be delicious. Would love to go back to Pelican Grill!

1  Thank Grace K
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We just hosted a large (24 guest) in a private room. We had coordinated this event Carly Curtis. She was wonderful. She had a menu with the selection with 2 salads, 3 entrees and 2 deserts our guest could choose printed. Service was impeccable and food was fabulous! Best thing, No stress for us!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We had a family outing based on a travel deal. Our wait staff was absolutely terrific. The hostess was not as courteous as one would expect, which is the reason for the four star review. Now back to the food and wine. Our waiter told us that instead of limiting us to the choices on our voucher, they would deduct the amount and we could order anything and pay the difference. This suited us just fine, we got to choose the wines we wanted and eat what we wanted. The sea bass was amazing, the cioppo was delicious and the short rib full of flavor. The view was the icing on the cake as we watched the sunset. Our desserts, lava cake and cobbler finished off a great evening. Truly a high end restaurant, but would recommend additional training for the hostess who acted like the key to heaven was underneath her feet.

Pelican_Hill_Resort, Manager at Pelican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Hello Matt,

Thank you for bringing your family to Pelican Grill, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your candid feedback with us. While I’m glad to read that you enjoyed a delicious meal, I apologize that your interactions with our hostess tarnished an otherwise wonderful dining experience. Please know I’ve personally addressed your concerns with Pelican Grill’s manager team, and I’ve also shared your kind words about the sea bass, cioppino, short rib and chocolate cake with our chefs. Thank you again for your insight, and we hope to welcome you back to Pelican Hill soon.

Kind regards,