“A hidden gem, great sushi for the price”

Yakko Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #137 of 360 Restaurants in Mountain View
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

Fresh and tasty sushi, friendly service, pricing is 20% lower than a similar restaurant in Cupertino, and the best thing is no 45 min wait! The combo dinner has a lot of variety and enough food for my hungry teenagers, and we like their chirashi bowl and nigiri. Yakko has been in Mountain View for over 20 years and we have tried a number of newer restaurants, but still prefer this great local sushi hangout.

Reviewed 5 November 2014

One of the things I love the most about the Bay Area is that you can find good food from around the world. But what makes it so awesome, is that you can also find AMAZING food from around the world.

Yakko serves sushi and a few other typical Japanese items. All can be considered your "run of the mill" sushi menu options. However, what caught my attention in my first visit here, was the free tofu appetizer. Unpretentious (a Japanese trait) our server brought out a small bowl of deliciousness. The tofu had a soy sauce, green onion and black sesame seed topping. It was amazing. Apparently, they make their own soy sauce there.

We ordered a few main items and all were delivered quickly, with friendly service. My sashimi was "like butter". My husbands chicken teriyaki and beef teriyaki were smooth, tasty and fresh.

Our experience was relaxed and we enjoyed the meal very much. The flavors of everything have elevated our standards now for Japanese cuisine. We look forward to returning.

One small ding on my review though - we ordered a bottle of Sake, listed at $27 on the menu. The server brought out a bottle of Kikusui (a good sake, but not the one on the menu). I didn't think to ask about the difference. So when we got our bill, which I expected to be around $70, it was actually $90! We were charged $50 for the Kikusui. I was upset, but didn't make a big deal about it. However, we did feel like there was a "bait and switch" happening.

We will return, the sushi was that good! But we'll be sure to explicitly talk about the price of sake if we order any.

Atmosphere: is typical Japanese style. A lot of wood, paper lanterns, etc.. They have a "booth" section where you can sit in what looks like the floor Japanese style, but your feet go into a "hole". I don't recommend sitting there, it's very uncomfortable. There are two small tables on the sidewalk. It seems like the best seating is at the sushi bar, interacting with the chef.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 19 September 2014 via mobile

Food was good but apparently they were out of water. Seafood lunch teishoku B "kaiou" was attractively presented and delicious.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

The decor and the service here was good, actually the service was very good, but the sushi was just not good.

We ordered Nigiri - Sake and Maguro, both were pretty flavorless and although they didn't seem bad they just didn't seem very fresh.

We had a salmon and avo roll and it was also just flavorless, we also ordered a rainbow and it tasted bad to me...really fishy so i didn't eat it.

I won't go back even though I understand all restaurants have an off night, I just do n't see going there when there are so many really decent sushi restaurants in Mountain View.

Also the check was about $20 more than we normally spend, which is not a disaster, but I guess it kinda makes me feel like I wish we had just gone to the place we always like a lot and saved $20.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

locals hangout. This is the best kept secret in mountain view with best sushi and close to downtown - get four friends and share a boat