“Pretty place, and nice service.”
Review of Star Cafe

Star Cafe
Ranked #6 of 63 Restaurants in Montrose
Cuisines: American, Italian
Panama City, Panama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty place, and nice service.”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Went there on a tuesday night, wasn't very busy. The waitress was very nice, and friendly. We sat in a terrace they have on the back that is really pretty.

The food was OK, we had a BBQ Chicken pizza that was very average, lacking sauce and some Fettuccini Alfredo type of dish that was ok, but I have had way better.

The kitchen looked clean and the prices were ok. The have plenty of parking spaces in the back.

Visited January 2012

Laguna Niguel, California
“Average eatery”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Parking available for ample amount of time to rear of restaurant, which has an upstairs room in back as well as a larger serving area on ground level. Service average. Menu reasonably varied, Continental. Portions adequate but not generous. Somewhat similar to adjacent Black Cow, purportedly under same ownership. Is quite busy on occasion. One nicety is the floor (downstairs, at least) contains sawdust, so one need not be too careful if food particles spill.

• Visited December 2010
Glendora, California
“Terrible Manager! Don't go here!”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

What a terrible manager!

I visit Montrose once a month for my dermatologist appointment. I do not live in this area. I went to Star Café because there was a deal on restaurant.com. When we walk in, there was no one to greet us. A waiter tells us to sit wherever we want. We ordered our food. They give you a bread roll. No flavor. Not even butter or oil to flavor it with. My husband ordered the Lasagna, I got the Shrimp & Scallop pesto linguine. The food was mediocre at best.

The service was mediocre as well. Although our waitress seemed very friendly, it took a long time for us to grab her attention to get our check.

This is where it gets really bad...I give the waitress my voucher from restaurant.com. She comes back and says because the pictures didn’t print out, it’s not valid. The voucher clearly stated the voucher number, the amount, and a customer service number to call. I even had my personal email printed out showing that I paid for it. So what if the stupid GIF pictures did not print. So what if the “Terms & Conditions” are not on there. When I paid for it, I agreed to the “Terms & Conditions”. Printing them does not make a difference. So then the manager comes over and tries to tell me that what I had was not good enough. That the restaurant is having problems with the restaurant.com vouchers getting validated. This is where I lost it! How dare he as a manager argue with his customer. If he is having problems with restaurant.com, that is not my problem. And to top it off it was only for $10.00. Really? You want to argue with a customer for $10.00? So then when I demanded my check with the discount on it, he started to laugh!! OMG! How dare he laugh at his customer! He should be frickin’ grateful he has any customers at all! The economy is bad, and he wants to demean his customer for $10.00!! So I tell him, “Why are you laughing at me? Do you think this is funny?” And he says, “I’m laughing because you will not let me talk and are causing a commotion!” Really? This is how you treat a customer? Scolding me like a child? I again demanded my check with the discount, and he finally came back for it. He should have just honored the voucher in the first place. He did not have to come and argue with me about stupid Gif pictures.

The manager definitely needs to reprimanded, if not fired. Clearly, he has no customer service skills. It was a terrible experience dining at Star Café. I will let everyone I know what a terrible experience it was. There are at least 20 other restaurants on the same street that are far better in food and service. Please stay away from here!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank rubidoe
La Crescenta, California
“Reliable great food”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We went with 18 of us-- colleagues. The food as always was good, though the service was a bit slow. I ordered the cobb salad-- a great choice. the barbeque chicken was not as good a choice this time-- it seemed the amount of barbeque chicken was small. the rolls are "to die for" amazing.

• Visited September 2011
Glendale, CA
“Service and food quality have declined :(”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We used to love this restaurant. The food was always great and the service was good. However, the last two times that we've been there, we had very bad experiences. One time the service was absolutely horrible. The food was bad as well. The very last time we went, our server was nice, but the management was awful. They brought out our pizza which was cold. They took it back and reheated it, and it was soggy. The manager was extremely rude! We paid our bill in full, didn't enjoy our food or time there and needless to say, we haven't gone back!

• Visited May 2011