“good location, honest & professional staff and very clean rooms”

Comfort Inn Monterey Bay
Ranked #34 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Long Beach, California
“good location, honest & professional staff and very clean rooms”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

awesome bargain hotel, great price, clean room, decent free breakfast, polite and friendly staff and above all honest people. I left a valuable item behind, called a week later after I checked out and the lobby operator was very helpful and told me that my item was found in lost and found. They very graciously shipped it back to me at my expense. I can not praise the staff and hotel enough and above all, it's pet friendly, what else can a traveler ask for. 5 stars for me.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back away from the busy street
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessie90808
TravellerMonterey, Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
Thanks you for your 5 STAR recommendation! I am glad we were able to return your item in a timely manner. Thank you for your business and look forward to seeing you on your return visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I purchased a night at this hotel on Priceline's Name Your Price option. I knew I was bidding on a Comfort Inn type of room - so my expectations were not high when I arrived at the hotel. I was fully aware from other reviews that this was a one story, "motel" style hotel. Our room was first floor, and exterior hallways. I only needed the room for one night for myself and my daughter. We got to our room around 8 p.m., a little disappointed with the size of the room and the lack of much sound buffers, but could deal with this. The room was very stuffy and I attempted to turn on the air conditioning. When I couldn't find the controls, I called the front desk. I was informed by the front desk clerk that the room we were in did not have a/c - only heat. In fact, only half of the rooms in the hotel have a/c (and of course all of those were occupied). When I asked the clerk how I am supposed to cool down the room, she told me to "open the window". Also there was a small fan in the closet that I was supposed to plug in and use. I told her that I was traveling with my daughter and because of noise and safety concerns, I refuse to open the window for circulation. She said the windows were equipped with screens. I'm sorry, but a screen is not enough protection.

My only choice at this point was to deal with the fan and stuffiness or find another hotel, which I did not want to do at 10 p.m. The upside here (which is why I gave the property an overall rating of Poor instead of terrible) is that the Comfprt Inn manager agreed to not charge Priceline for the room - now I have to go back to Priceline to get my money back. Ugh. Priceline should not offer this hotel on its Name Your Price option, and any buyers should be notified that there is no guarantee they will receive a room with air conditioning!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
TravellerMonterey, Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
We appreciate your feedback, We apologies about the weather being so hot. It is always difficult to book on Priceline. In the future may I suggest calling hotel direct as you will also be able to find good deals and book a room that fits your needs. Thank you for staying with us.
Arizona
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We got a good night's sleep, even with a few airplanes flying over. The last plane of the evening flew over at about 10:00 pm and the earliest in the morning was 8:00 am. Very quiet night in between! No problems with the room or the staff. Plenty of parking and a good breakfast provided.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nursemaker
TravellerMonterey, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
We appreciate your feedback. Yes the planes are flying their normal paths so they do not disturb the hotel guests during quiet times! They were flying lower then normal several weeks ago due to the heavy fog that we were experiencing. Mother nature is back on our side. Weather is great, it is Indian Summer time in Monterey. Beautiful time to visit....
Fox River Grove, IL
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed here after day on the road and a evening in Monterey. We were looking for something affordable for one night since we had to be in Southern CA the next day.
I would call this a motel not a hotel all rooms are outside. I do not like outside rooms but for one night it was fine. The room was a little cramped but clean.
The spa that is mentioned are two hot tubs outside in an enclosed wooden structure. I had trouble turning them on so did not use.
There are flowers all over that do smell wonderful. The breakfeast is what you expect from a Comfort Inn.
I stayed here because of the price and because we were on our way in the morning. If I was to spend some time in Monterey I would spend the money and stay in a more upscale hotel close to the water. But for a night it works.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ironman_7
TravellerMonterey, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your input. We are glad we could afford you a good value during your stay in Monterey.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I really only have one requirement for a hotel room - cleanliness. Overall, the room and sheets were clean. Unfortunately, both of my towels were not clean -- they had hair from previous use. However, the front desk staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast was good. The room wasn't roomy, just enough room for a bed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your input. We pride our self in providing clean and comfortable rooms. Please rest assure your comments will be reviewed with our housekeeping department.