“Right on the water!”

Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Houston
“Right on the water!”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Spindrift Inn for three nights and it was fantastic! Be sure you book a room facing the bay. We loved watching the waves and otters playing in the water. Our room had a window seat, windows that really open, a fireplace, and a very comfortable bed. Plus, our rate included happy hour (wine & cheese, tea, coffee) in the lobby or take to your room. Breakfast is also included--served to your room. We ordered a boiled egg each day, fruit, cheese, and muffins, plus of course, coffee and juice. It was not only delicious, but so convenient. The staff were very friendly and our car was always brought to us very promptly by the valet. I recommend it!

Room Tip: Book on the water side!
1 Thank Leah747

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Korean first
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you're looking for a hotel that serves as a romantic hideaway for a few days, where you can sit in front of a log fire in a "cosy" room, then I guess the Spindrift Inn will give you that. And there are some nice touches too; being provided with a coffee machine AND a second machine to allow you to make tea (rather than run hot water through coffee-flavoured mechanics in an effort to make tea) was appreciated.

The staff were very good, the location is excellent and the place tries hard to make a virtue out of its weaknesses - the "breakfast in bed" option, for example, may sound romantic but essentially provides you with a somewhat scant continental breakfast in your room simply because the hotel has no dining room. And the rooms are not very large, so cramming in a double bed, two chairs and footrest in front of the fire plus a table and two chairs as well makes for a very compact experience. Again, some will call this cosy I guess.

I will disagree with the review that makes a virtue over the cleanliness of the hotel though. We found long, dark hairs around the room and bathroom, the worst of which were actually in the bed itself. They may have been from the previous occupant, or maybe from the maid, but finding foreign hairs in your bed is not something you want from ANY hotel, let alone one costing $200-$300 a night. And that comment also goes for a breakfast containing a single slice of toast when it toast is requested, two cold hard-boiled eggs as the egg course, etc.

A nice enough hotel, but I was not blown away given the price and reputation.

4 Thank Sionel
Manteca, California, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Ok, first let me get this out of the way - this place is CLEAN. It exceeded my high standards of cleanliness, and the lack of carpeting in the rooms was AWESOME (there's hard wood flooring). My husband and I stayed on the top (4th) floor in a corner king ocean view room, and it was worth every penny. The room was warm and charming without being stuffy. There were little extras everywhere - bath salts in the bathroom for soaking, the in-room coffee maker was a keurig (and four keurig cups of coffees/teas were provided). The bay window seat with the old fashioned crank open windows was my favorite, and being on the top floor provided the best view. There is also a roof top terrace with chairs/tables you could go to. But the bed - that was the best part!!! Like sleeping on a cloud. I usually take my own orthopedic pillow on trips but I forgot it this time and I slept like a baby :) Then in the morning after a very substantial (free) continental breakfast that is actually delivered to your room, the staff kept our bags and car for us while we spent the day at the aquarium. We will definately be back. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND FOR CHILDREN. The room is too small for little ones and there are no screens on the windows to prevent a fall!

2 Thank happytraveler209
No. Cali
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This hotel is so charming and delicate. The staff is very attentive. We love the views of the ocean and the real wood burning fireplace. The windows open to let in the fresh ocean air too. Comfy, fluffy, cloud-like beds and pillows---you don't want to leave. Continental breakfast is served in your room. And they offer wine, fruit and cheese in the afternoon in the lobby too. Can't wait to stay again.

1 Thank NoCali-momof2
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel was the perfect ending to my trip and I can't wait to go back with my husband. The room was awesome with the fluffiest bed and pillows. The armchairs in front of the fire were perfect for watching a movie in front of the fire. The fireplace was perfect and easy to start (even for a novice like me). My favorite part was the window seating with the crank open windows. I loved sitting there in the sun reading and watching the sea. Perfectly calm and relaxing. Also, the breakfast was super delish and the staff was so wonderful and caring. It was truly an awesome hotel. I don't know that I would go there with kids, as it was a really romantic, peaceful type of place, but I loved it for my solo trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a partial ocean view to see the ocean without paying the full price.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo