“Fantastic getaway!”

Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
San Jose, California
“Fantastic getaway!”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I planned a surprise getaway trip for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. I didn't want to break the bank, but wanted to stay somewhere nice. I found Mariposa Inn and Suites on Yelp, and the rooms were nice and the price was much better than some of the other Monterey hotels. I wanted something with a fireplace, and although I wanted to stay closer to the water at first, when I saw the prices of those places, I opted for Mariposa's more affordable rates. I was definitely not disappointed!! I made the reservation online and put in the comments field that it was a surprise for his 30th birthday, and requested a room on the 3rd floor since I'd read that the lower levels were able to hear people above. When we checked in, I was absolutely elated to find out that they'd upgraded us to a suite on the 3rd floor at no additional charge because they'd read my note and they had one suite left that night. The room was incredible!! A huge king bed, fireplace, hot tub in the room, and a dual headed shower in the bathroom. Ah-mazing!! Our only complaint was that it took a long time for the shower water to heat up & we felt like we started to run out of hot water in the morning. But with everything they did for us, this was certainly not a big deal and did not affect our stay much at all. Thank you for helping me make this an unforgettable birthday for him!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Seattle
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Thought we would try a "boutique" type hotel for our overnight in Monterey. Got a good price. The pros: Furnishings are all upgraded..... fireplace in our king room......plenty of towels......upscale bath goods.....decent free continental breakfast..... very comfy bed and lovely linens. Town Mall right across the street with lots of good restaurants. Best of all, free parking, which is a rarity in Monterey.The downside: I know they have "Townhouse" rooms, but our King was SO small...they squeezed too much big furniture in........a chaise lounge, when a smaller comfy chair should have done......a large bench at the end of the bed, which made it impossible to move from one side of the room to the other if you were using the computer table....no luggage rack........water in the shower would go from HOT to Freezing cold and back....and my personal peeve, a lovely upgraded wash stand with mirror that had almost NO room for all the lotions and potions travelers use (toothbrushes....curling irons, shavers, moisterizing creams, eye drops....etc. etc.) We wouldn't stay here again, but I can see that it would appeal to younger travelers.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on Hwy 1 side
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I recently stayed here for 1 night, 3/20/12. I had spent a few hours looking at all the Monterey hotes and decided to stay at Mariposa. What a great choice. Our stay started off very well thanks to Tamara at the front desk. We were arriving to Monterey around noon so I called to see if they could accommodate me by letting us check in early. Tamara answered and said our room wasn't ready yet but she would be willing to call us when it was. She called about 1:30pm and said it was ready, great service! The hotel is a little far from the main attractions like the aquariam and cannery row but an easy 5 minute drive. The hotel grounds are very well kept and the parking is underground. We were very satisfied with our room. The king size bed is on the firm side. We had a fireplace, flat screen tv, microwave, fridge and ihome dock. The bathroom was very nice as well and included granite counters and a vessel sink. Only one minor drawback was the loud construction noise from 9am-6pm, the hotel was being renovated so this is most likely a limited time issue. Overall great hotel and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Request a room not too close to the hallway door, it shuts pretty loudly.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
cincinnati
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at Mariposa and I can't believe the value. The first time I had a wonderful boutique room complete with a fireplace. However, this time I have a suite and it is literally an apartment...2 stories with a fireplace, 2 full baths, fridge, safe, microwave, and all very tastefully decorated. Also free internet and breakfast, all for about $100/night. No fitness center but they will give you complimentary passes to a local gym. The hotel is located right across from the Del Monte shopping center and is also within walking distance (about 15 min) from downtown Monterey. This is the best kept secret on the peninsula.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank caseyerau
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This has to be the best boutique hotel in Monterey. I called to book later in the evening and the gentlemen at the desk gave me an awesome discounted rate. I wasn't expecting much as I drive in. It was pretty and clean on the outside but when I walked into the room. My eyelids popped off. It was gorgeous. We had a living room. A beautiful bathroom which has inspired us in decorating our own. When we entered the bedroom. We noticed we had a working fireplace. The beds were super duper comfy. And totally clean. We met the guy that ran the hotel with his wife downstairs. He was super nice and made small conversation with us. We ordered Pappa johns at 1 in the morning and took some juice and coffee for the road. When or if I go to Monterey again. I am definetly staying in the Mariposa. I felt snug as a catipilar in a Crysalis.

• Stayed January 2012