“Just average”

Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I would have loved to have raved about this hotel. I'm not that picky (see my other reviews) but, in my opinion, this property didn't live up to the reviews I saw here on Trip Advisor. Little things count for a lot and there were lots of little problems that added up.

We booked a two double bed room in part because the photos on the hotel website showed a large room with a sitting area in addition to the beds which is what we wanted. When we got to the room and saw what my friend termed a "dorm room" we were quite disappointed. We went down and mentioned it to the desk clerk who said, "Yeah, the rooms on the website are the deluxe rooms, but we only have four of those." The rooms have obviously been redone but, oddly, there is a large space (which we dubbed "the dance floor" with a lamp and nothing else. Perhaps a comfy chair or a table and chairs? The dirty, scuffed pocket door to the bathroom could do with replacing as well.

Then we discovered the refrigerator was full of water, the main desk light was burned out, there was a single lone coffee pod for the machine and the cable didn't work properly (messages on the screen to call Comcast were discouraging, to say the least). Crawling around under the desk, trying to diagnose the light problem, it was evident that the room wasn't well vacuumed (someone bought a nice new article of clothing at Kohls judging by the tag I found there...) To be fair, these problems were fixed, cheerfully. Better routine maintenance would be helpful. We'll look elsewhere on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a DELUXE doubles room if you want the one on the website!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank MTahoe
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row

Reviewed 19 February 2012

All of Cannery Row including the Aquarium are in easy walking distance. Our King room was light and roomy. Price was very reasonable for the location. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve5235
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate knowing that you enjoyed the hotel. Please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night while for a little romantic getaway while our daughter was with the in-laws. We saw many good reviews, so we found a good deal on priceline.

We were very pleased with our stay here. The room was modern and cozy yet spacious. The bathrooms were classy with basin sinks. We stayed in a corner room, so we had two nice, big windows. We could see the bay from our window (as well as some scrap garage, though this was in no way a deterrent. We weren't going to stare out the window all day...) The king size bed was great, with a choice of firm or soft pillows. We slept very soundly.

They wine and cheese offering was fun. We don't drink (there was juice provided), and the cheese wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but in my youth I would have thought it to be awesome! And I did see lots of kids enjoying the spread. I did indeed partake in the crackers and cheese platter as well.

Breakfast was also what you would expect from a Holiday Inn, which was great in my opinion. They had bagels, muffins, toast, yogurt, and a variety of other pastries and fruit available, which I like when I'm on the go. They also offered a nifty little pancake maker, omelets, sausage, and biscuits and gravy. Perhaps a food snob would snub this array of food, but I found it functional and satisfactory. And again, anyone with kids will love this feature.

The hot tub was not functioning, our only let down.

We also walked down Cannery Row several times during our stay. It was a delightful stroll, and closer than I thought to all the attractions. It was also worth it to have free, underground parking at the hotel. They were more than happy to let us leave our car there, even after check out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank liliribs
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you so much, what a great review! We're so glad that you were able to spend your getaway with us and so glad that you enjoyed yourselves. (Personally, I love the cinnamon rolls so I'm with you on that!)

We're really sorry about the hottub, unfortunately accessibility issues forced us to shut it down last fall. But I'm really glad that the room and great location helped make up for that. Thanks again, and please come and stay with us again when you have the chance.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Easy walk to Cannery Row and to restaurants. Rooms are clean, front desk is friendly. Breakfast is good.
If your room is right outside the elevators though, you can hear everything going on in the hall.

Note on parking: Yes it is free, however, be forwarned that the parking lot is TINY. I am not sure how people get their cars into and out of those tiny spaces. I always come back to the hotel early to try and get a spot at the entrance, then I walk to dinner so I won't lose my parking space.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thanks so much for your review. I apologize about the tight parking, and hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. Unfortunately space is at a premium in Monterey - thanks for finding a way to work with this. We hope you'll come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

The location of this hotel is great. A block from Cannery row, two blocks from the Aquarium, a short stroll to Fisherman's Wharf. There is free parking which is nice. The rooms are nice. The design of the hotel is the only problem. We stayed on the third floor of the hotel. You take the elevator to the third floor, then we had to go down stairs and around a corner and climb more stairs to go back up to our room. I'm not sure why the hotel is designed like this, but it was annoying to drag our suitcases up and down the stairs.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple