“Are we talking about the same place?”

Rodeway Inn - Monterey
Ranked #8 of 10 Monterey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Pulled into town this evening, called about an hour before we got there, asked if they had a room and how much. They had the room and it costs $64 total. In late June. On a Sunday night. I'm actually typing this review as we speak on Wi-Fi on the king sized bed. I'm looking at the microwave, coffee maker, dorm-sized fridge, TV sitting in an entertainment center, etc. I don't know what these other reviews are talking about, unless they were old. They had to be. The batroom area tile and carpet all looks like it was re-done recently, it's very nice. At $64/night including tax, this CANNOT be beat. It's very close to PCH, I'll be using this hotel as a base to travel to Point Lobos and Big Sur over the next 2-3 days. It's right there on the way, you just turn left out of the lot and you are getting on Hwy1, headed South. Very easy. Also planning on going to the Wharf area and Aquarium which are also pretty close. I admit this is NOT the Hilton, but if you are like me and you are in the area to see what there is to do and not lay around in a hotel all day, it works. All I need is a bed and hot shower. Check! If you use hotels like I do, and not for fancy room service, or to lay in the hot tub or pool and are in the area to actually do the activites, this is a great place. If you are looking to spend a lot of time IN the hotel, this is NOT the place, and for $300+/night, be my guest and go on to the Hilton or wherever, at least I know I'll have a room next time I want to come back to Big Sur/Monterey. If anything changes about this place over the next few days, I'll update, but so far things are looking waaay up...

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank EricT

Reviewed 27 October 2007

My girl and I used Expedia to get a reservation at this place. We had some questions, so we called their information line to speak with someone. We had our hearts set on a balcony so expedia was nice enough to call them see if they had rooms with balconies, to which we were told that they did. So we booked a queen w/ a balcony for 2 nights "Guaranteed." When we arrived there, we were told that there were no rooms that we could have for 2 nights. We'd have to change rooms to the other hotel they owned (Monterey econolodge) across the street. Also, there were no balconies to speak of - they considered the outside corridor between rooms a "balcony." A pretty liberal definition to say the least. Expedia is not to blame, as they have made things right, refunding our Credit Cards and canceling our reservations with these people, even after this sorry excuse for a motel said they (rodeway inn, not expedia) would still charge our card. Expedia we will try again, but the terrible service at Rodeway in, we will not.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2007

AT $50.00 per night, I should have know. No coffee maker, They did offer coffee in the office in the morning but it was weak and we like strong coffee. There was what looked like a Refrig marked mini bar in the room which was locked. We had beverage we would have like to cool. No outside area to sit or relex.
Braje

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
santa cruz
Reviewed 18 September 2005

we stayed at this so called "franchise" motel "roadway inn" on august 6th and let me just say it was the worst mistake we have ever made!!!
let me start with some nice things about it like it was near fairgrounds, yup thats it! Now some things that did not please us well in short here is a list:

* first of all there is no pool
* no coffe maker in the rooms
* no fridge or microwave
* no closet
* no hair dryer
and worst of all no Kleenex!!!!
it was the smallest room ever and the price they charged me was ridiculuosly high, i was humiliated by my freinds who were luckily staying at the motel right across the street from us at the econo lodge, their room so amzingly clean and spacey, it had a pool, hair dryers, coffee makers, microwave and fridge and ya KLEENEX!!!!, i was so mad at myself for making my reservations at a place like that when with a little more money i could have had a place like Econo Lodge!

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 September 2004

We booked this motel on-line through a discount room broker (that was our first mistake). The description of the property we had been given was completely false. There was no pool as advertised, no in-room coffee, microwave or fridge.

This was without a doubt the smallest motel room I have ever been in. The room we received was so cramped that we spent the whole weekend sidling around the room to squeeze between the bed and the credenza and then again between the table and the side of the bed. There was no closet, just a bar with a few hangers so our clothes that required hanging and suitcases were always out in the open. Friends who were also in town jokingly invited us to come enjoy the "luxury" of their Motel 6 room after seeing ours.

There are no amenties like hair dryers or even towel racks at the sink. Towels are in the bathroom only. There was not even a box of tissues!

We were on the first floor near the office and utility room so we had the privilege of hearing the phone ring in the office (all hours) and some rather heated conversations between the manager and the housekeeping staff (early in the morning).

The housekeeping staff had some problems like neglecting to give us towels after cleaning the room. They also took some small towels we had brought with us out of a tote bag, assuming they belonged to the hotel.

I would only recommend this motel to persons traveling alone and in need of just one nights stay.

There are several other motels in the area. I have stayed at the Super 8 directly across the street and found it to be a lovely room at a very good price.

We have learned our lesson! No more "no-name" online brokers and make inquiries directly with the hotel before booking.

• Stayed: September 2004