All reviewsadjoining restaurantdennis the menace parkcannery rowfisherman's wharfhot tubon site restaurantwithin walking distancecoffee makernice place to staymonterey baywhale watchingroom was clean and comfortableaquarium ticketsking bedroad tripwe've stayedsan francisco
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This was a weekend at the beach for us, and that was what we found just across the street. The sea was not warm enough for immersion above the knees, but there was a pool at the hotel which was maybe 2 or 3 degrees warmer, just bearable to keep the kids happy. The spa was my retreat to soak away 400 miles of "are we there yet?"
Santa Cruz is less than hour away, and is great entertainment for everyone, but it's nice to get back to a more peaceful Monterey.
We got the family suite, as it was comparable in price to 2 queen rooms at other locations; I believe the best way to maintain sanity on a trip with 2 small kids is to have a door between them and you at the end of the day.
Within easy walking distance is Denace the Menace Playground, definitely worth an hour or two of your kids' time, especially if you want to get them tired for the return trip.
We did not venture beyond the attached diner for breakfast; it serves a good menu at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank baddersfamily
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I booked our trip back in May for a stay in November. When you have children you have to plan for everything. I checked several times through staff and emails back and forth with Michelle and Cindy. I was always assured our plans for the aquarium were set. Room was set, pool was heated. We arrived a bit late in the evening. No aquarium tickets! Room was small with two full size beds. we were supposed to have a suite with a seperate room.The guy at the late desk I could hardly understand, was not concerned at all that my son had to sleep on the floor. They offered to move us to the two room suite the next day. Hey when you travel with kids you bring everything in- side, we did not want to move and re pack. The pool was not heated at all it was unbarable. the beds were lumpy and dirty windows. Burn holes in the carpet and filthy carpets.The next day I asked to speak with Michelle or Cindy I was then told that neither managers were available. How can you run a hotel with no manager on site. While I was waiting for a manager I found out that the woman I made the reservation with was no longer employed. Not comforting at all. when we checked out we were ignored for about 12 minutes before someone even asked us if we needed help. There are better places to stay for the price

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank madcowMadera_ca
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We booked the night before by phone from Atascedero, and chose the upgrade for $5 to a room with fire and fireplace (great move). We arrived after the trip from hell, blow out on rental car on Pacific Coast Highway, no cell coverage, and no safe place to change tyre, and the spare being a 2 inch space saver, which didn't enhance the looks or handling of the Mustang, given the driving conditions that day. We booked in very helpful, efficient, but also human and caring. After a trip to the Airport to change the car, we returned to the Hotel, and asked at the Front Desk about where to eat. Vince (Vincent) was fantastic, he enquired what we wanted to eat, knew the area and and gave us his recomendation and directions, and we enjoyed the best Mussels and Scallops I have ever tasted at ""The Sandbar, washed down with a delightful Chardonnay. The next day we visited The Aquarium, booking our tickets through the front desk, Michelle was very helpful, even though she was balancing two phonecalls at the time. That evening we eat at the Monterey Fish House, again great food, Vince again was very helpful, booking the table, and wanted our feedback, so that he could help future visitors. The room was relaxing, very comfortable, and very reasonablly priced given its location. Wish we could have stayed longer, in this Hotel and this City, as both were a delight to stay in. We cant wait until 2012 to go back and hopefully stay longer.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Pluses: Location is nice. Long walk to the aquarium, shorter walk to the wharf. Beach across the street, with the mini-mart/gas station in between. Yes, you can hear the seals at night, which is nice. Affordable.

Minuses: Beds were completely broken down. Mattresses slanted on one side. Carpet filthy and room very musty. Smokers on walkway outside the door allowed smoke to drift into the room. No view. Dark rooms. Overpriced coffee shop on premises.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I was very impressed by the Monterey Bay Lodge. I wasn’t expecting much at this price: $150 for a King Fireplace, but what I got was a very spacious room, flat screen TV, free wifi, sliding doors out onto the lawn facing the pool. I was sorry to stay here only one night. Everything was very clean and there was plenty of counter space for all my stuff. Also appreciated the free bottles of water. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I also bought tickets for the Aquarium here because for the price of 1 day, you can get in for 2 days and use the special VIP entrance and beat the lines.

The soundproofing must also be very good because when we got in after dinner, we could hear a baby crying as we left our car, but once inside the room, we heard nothing! We also got $2 off coupons for the adjoining restaurant. We used it for breakfast and it was pretty decent.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple