“Authentic Thai”

Thai Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 360 Restaurants in Milpitas
Reviewed 4 February 2016 via mobile

I had the Larb Gai and ordered it "phet Thai." I will advise you to do this only if you want to have a jungle, up-country experience. Wow. 2 bites in and I was ordering my second Heineken. It was invigorating. If there is to be a next time, I will probably have the ground prik on the side to control the heat. Chicken blanched/cooked perfectly. Cilantro, mint, scallions and lettuce were super fresh and made the whole dish come together nicely.

Phad Kee Ew Moo was ordered spicy as well but, they must have seen me sweating and dousing the flames with cold beer so they were merciful. I've had bad versions of this fried noodle dish that were over cooked and clumpy or soupy and messy. I've had better versions elsewhere....in Thailand.

I wish I could move the Thai Cafe Restaurant to Tampa. They have a big menu and I would love to experience it all. If you live near Milpitas, this should be your go-to Thai joint if you are looking for the tastes of what the locals eat in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Maybe a little to brightly lit in some spots in small dining room but hardly a deal breaker.

Reviewed 20 January 2016

What you expect from a Thai restaurant in "Thai Town" and in California. Was not let down for flavor, food was nicely presented. Customer service mediocre, more bistro than restaurant style.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

Had a lunch there, very crowded and stood a bit outside to get in, BUT was worth it.
The food was very good and tasty.
Definitely will visit again!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The food is good with a wide selection on the lunch menu; combinations with soup, rice and meat stir fries and curries. I had the Penang Curry which was quite good, the waitress asked what spicy level I'd like, medium or extra spicy. This restaurant is very popular with employees of the companies in the area, it is always full at lunch. The tables are close together (to accommodate as many as possible) so it is a little noisy and it is not private. Service is quick though, so if are looking for a quick bite of good food, I recommend it but arrive before noon for lunch or be prepared for a small wait for a table.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

When I asked my niece to choose where to eat, she picked Thai Cafe Restaurant (we had some confusion because the elephant in their logo was remembered as part of their name). It is in the Milpitas Ulferts Center with other Asian restaurants and shops and is open until 11 p.m. for dinner. My parents had taken us here before, when they lived in the area, and it was nice to be back again. We enjoyed trying each other's dishes - Chieng Mai Curry Noodle Soup, Spicy Eggplant with Tofu (huge serving), and Tom Kha Kai, We took home an order of Yellow Curry for someone who had to work late, and the next morning, another person had some of the curry for breakfast! It's that good.