“Adequate, but not special”
Review of Red Cottage Inn

Red Cottage Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We were looking forward to a special find with the Red Cottatge Inn, but we got a very run of the mill experience. The location is great for Menlo Park and Stanford and the room was very clean with a cute patio. That's about it.

While there was an HD, flat screen TV in the room, the property, apparently, does not subscribe to HD cable, so we had to watch the Olympics (it was Opening Ceremonies) on fuzzy analog.

There are no electrical outlets in the bathroom and the hairdryer is the small, travel size. The whole point of supplying a hair dryer is so that one either doesn't have to pack one or doesn't have to settle for a small travel size.

Breakfast was unremarkable with baked goods that tasted like they had been frozen and cereal. We headed to the Starbuck's down the street instead. The front desk staff wasn't particularly friendly, although not surly either. Again, adequate and non-commital. On the plus side, it was a quiet property and the bed was comfortable.

Adequate seems to be the best description for our experience. We have a nephew going to Stanford next year and were hoping this would be our place. We'll keep looking.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad location, as we were towards the front and it was plenty quiet for...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
RCIadmin, Guest Relations Manager at Red Cottage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our apologies if our amenities and services fell short of your expectations. We totally get your point about our hair dryers being small and travel size that is why we are in the process of upgrading those to a larger and more powerful ones. In addition, we are going to expand our breakfast selections in the first quarter of 2013 to offer more options to our guests. Rest assured that we take your comment seriously and we strive to give our customers the best experience. We are continually trying to improve and upgrade our hotel and we hope that you allow us another opportunity to gain your trust with us.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This inn is set back off the very busy El Camino Real....they took something from the past and created the perfect little oasis. We had a back patio with small table and chairs, small fridg, microwave....beautiful updating, clean and tidy. Then you go around to the pool and sitting area....very charming and relaxing! The designers didn't miss a thing and we felt blessed to have found such a gem. This inn certainly has what the "corporate hotels" are missing. Highly recommend. :)

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your nice review. We are very delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s nice to know that you were able to take advantage of the nice California weather lounging around our pool and sitting area.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Just about anywhere else this would be a run-of-the-mill motel. But it's noteworthy here because it is not all that expensive relative to other area lodging. I'll give it credit for being clean and quiet (despite its location right on El Camino). I sat by the little pool one morning reading the newspaper and felt a million miles from the Silicon Valley hustle. The truth is, I would go back. Don't expect anything fancy and you will probably feel the same way.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Pete F
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have stayed at the Red Cottage Inn many times as I work in the area a few times a year and travel from Santa Barbara. The staff is always warm, welcoming and incredibly helpful. This year I forgot ALL of my hanging clothes in the closet and they mailed it to me with a Thank-You note....WOW! No charges were made to my account and everything arrived within a few days. They are terrific and the environment is wonderful.

Room Tip: I like the ground floor rooms by the pool. Nice sliding doors that allow for fresh air...no need for...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are happy to know that the clothes that you left here at the hotel arrived safely to you. We look forward in welcoming you back whenever you are in Menlo Park area.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at Red Cottage for 4 nights in July. I had been given the handicap room (not requested and not needed), which was very roomy. My favorite part was the private patio/deck area off the back of the room that included a small table and chairs. I enjoyed the included breakfast outside every morning. Red Cottage had excellent continental breakfast: hard boiled eggs, Nutella (my fave!), Babybel cheese, yogurt, milk, cereal, bananas, muffins, oatmeal (packet style), coffee, and more. They even let me sneak a few things early on my way to my flight out before the official breakfast start time.

A lot of other things were included with the room too: bottled water, umbrella (to borrow), makeup wipes, and Keurig coffee. (Some days, my water wasn't replenished.) My room had a microwave and fridge.

The fitness room was very air-conditioned with new looking well-maintained equipment. There was one each of elliptical, treadmill, and bike with several hand weights as well as yoga and bosu balls. The hours were posted as 7AM-10PM which seems fairly limited, but the hotel staff told me earlier and I was in there as early as 5:30AM with no complaints from anyone. My only complaint about the fitness room was that the wipes from the dispenser were dried out.

I'll definitely try to book early enough to get a room here on my next business trip to the area. It was such a treat to come back to such a nice room at the end of the day.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We look forward in welcoming you back and we’ll take note of those wipes in the fitness room and make sure that they are not dried out. .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menlo Park
#1 of 11 in Menlo Park
0.6 km away
Residence Inn Palo Alto Menlo Park

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Menlo Park

Been to Red Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!