“Best Value In Mendocino”

Sea Gull Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Best Value In Mendocino”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This will make year #5, I have taken a BMW Motorcycle group to the Sea Gull Inn for an early tour. Jim & Ayla Douglas make this stay so easy for us. They help the group with the best up to date suggestions for dinner and make the reservations for us. It seems anything else any one needs is taken care of. The rooms are always super clean, well stocked with soft fluffy towels, comfy bed sheets and beds. The location of the Inn is great. Right in the middle of everything making easy walking distance all weekend. The best thing is sleeping in and having a really great breakfast delivered to your room. My wife really likes that. Best thing for me as tour leader, I never hear any complaints from the group when we stay here.

Room Tip: We like the LookOut #1 and the Driftwood with a king bed and gas fire place.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank xfil911

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We received an off season $99 rate for one of the smallest rooms...the Abalone room. It is an ultra feminine, but charming room complete with rose patterned wallpaper, lace curtains, etc. it is very cozy. There is one chair in the room and no closet..although there is a hook with hangers. The bathroom, probably the former closet, has a decent shower and a small sink set in a recess. It was fine for me but difficult for my broad shouldered husband to brush his teeth. The bed is small, but comfortable. Because the room is so small, we played cribbage in bed and had our nice little breakfast in bed. The owners, Jim and Ayla, are lovely. Ayla gave us a wonderful warm welcome and provided us with information and recommendations for restaurants. There is no parlor or common area at the Inn outside of the lovely gardens so if you plan to do anything besides sleep in your room, I would suggest you spring for a larger room...particularly in poor weather.

Room Tip: If you plan to do anything other than sleep in your room, splurge for one of the larger rooms...part...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy C
Mountain View
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We spent a weekend in February at the Seagull Inn and loved it! It's one block up from the ocean and half a block from the main street in town. If you prefer to leave your car parked and walk everywhere, as we do, the location couldn't be better!

We stayed in the "Shed", which is a cute little one-room building with a private bathroom. The room was small but definitely adequate for two - comfy bed (although it was a double or small queen). The bathroom was very nice with a large tiled shower. The Shed is the only room at the inn with a TV with built-in DVD player. The owners had a nice selection of DVDs that were filmed in Mendocino, and we ended up watching some of them. It was nice to have that option and fun to see the scenes around town in the movies!

Breakfast each day was a large, homemade muffin, fruit, yogurt, OJ, and coffee or tea. The staff brought it to our room at a time we selected the night before. Then we had the choice of eating in the room or taking our tray out to the wonderful little nymph garden beside the shed. Although it was cold, it was sunny, so we opted to take our breakfast out in the garden both days, which was a delightful way to start the day.

The only thing I thought would have made it even more perfect would be a small refrigerator and a corkscrew in the room.

I highly recommend the Seagull Inn.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Innkeeper Ayla warmly welcomed me to The Sea Gull Inn after I'd taken a sketching class. She showed me my room, gave me a few helpful pointers to make my stay more comfortable (if you go out at night, switch on your porch light so you can more easily find your way back to your room). Little things like this make a difference rather than just handing over the key at reception! My room was spotlessly clean, roomy, cozy, and very comfortable. The heater worked great as the evening became a bit chilly. Breakfast was served in the room - simple but very fresh and tasty. Delicious coffee, yummy pumpkin muffin, fruit, a bit of yogurt, orange juice. The inn is surrounded by sweet old gardens, and Sophie the very friendly gray kitty adds the final homey touch. I'll stay again next time in Mendocino.

Room Tip: I stayed in "Geranium". There were two beds and a small sitting area. It was downstairs...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I am writing this from The Driftwood room, it's a classic B&B, with great service, attitude and smiles all round..the breakfast is delicious..

• Stayed January 2012