All reviews mount shasta claw foot tub decorated differently breakfast downstairs candy shop general store turn of the century friday george room quilting retreat common room modern amenities great view of mt breakfast is served small kitchen no elevator miller suite the ground floor
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We spent one night here and wished we had longer to explore the area. We stayed in the Railroad room which was very large and perfect for our family of four. The beds were comfy and cozy and we had a view out the front of the hotel. The rooms are very clean. The bathroom was huge with a shower and a huge clawfoot tub. The owners are very friendly and helpful. We wanted a bottle of wine to drink and the owner had a nice selection downstairs in the store. You get a $20 credit for breakfast downstairs which was very good with large portions. They even had a Mickey mouse pancake for the kids. We ate dinner at Aaron's down the road which also was very good. I would stay there again and would recommend this hotel. The only things missing were a hairdryer and tissues in the room.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Our whole family loved staying here. The room was spacious; furniture of find quality; bed extremely comfortable; atmosphere and ambience fantastic; and shampoos etc had beautiful scent and were excellent quality. The great room offered fascinating reading material about the area and tea and water which we appreciated. Breakfast was delicious. Staff all very friendly. This was our second stay here and we can't wait to go back. It's our home away from home.

Room Tip: Our whole family loves staying here. It was a second stay at the inn. The atmosphere is warm and cosy but also interesting. I loved all the books available with articles on the area. The conditioner, shampoo, lotion, and soap were the best we have ever had.
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed in the Railroad Room two nights in June 2012 with two teens, 15 and 13.

It was a huge room overlooking the main entrance with a queen bed and two twins. The room was immaculate, sparsely appointed with furniture: two nightstands, a small table and a console for a small flatscreen television. The mattresses were firm and comfortable.

The bathroom had a soaking tub and separate shower with two sinks and a water closet. It was stylish and classic looking with white octagon floor tile. It was well appointed with upscale shampoo and conditioner. The only negative was the water pressure was low (it was slow to fill the tub), but adequate for showering.

Dining was available downstairs at the White Mountain Cafe. We ate there two mornings, only for breakfast. The food was hearty, traditional, with HUGE portions: large flapjacks (about 8" in diameter!), biscuits and gravy (two large split biscuits smothered in a cup of gravy), humungous omelets (they must use 3 or 4 eggs), and reasonably priced. I only wish they were open past 9pm for dinner (we never made it back to the hotel before then). Our rate included a $20 credit for breakfast each morning.

The hosts were service oriented by recommending a room that met our needs (3 beds). They managed to keep us in the same room two consecutive nights (originally the room we booked the first night wasn't available the second). They also left a useful map with information on accessing the McCloud River Falls, 5 miles east on Hwy 89.

My only criticism: keep the wifi is working. There are three wifi hotspots, but they were not working the first night and most of the second night. I was trying to use my laptop over wifi but I had to do it on my iPad over the cellular network instead. Fortunately none of my work depended on the apps or files on my laptop.

All in all we had a terrific time at the McCloud River Mercantile Inn and it will be our first choice for any return visit!

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Our room was fantastic, especially the HUGE whirlpool tub, the furniture and the wood panelling worthy of the timber barons when the Inn was both the company store and lumber company offices. Even the soaps were truly outstanding and made our skin feel great in the dry climate. Innkeepers Kevin and Darlene were right on top of a minor electrical problem in our room and when we tried to buy lots of the soaps to give as gifts, Kevin and Darlene GAVE us about 6 soaps which they even attractively wrapped to make up for the electrical problem. Now that's REAL SERVICE!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

McCloud is a tiny little town in the shadow of Mt Shasta and there isn't much to it except this wonderful Inn and a stellar diner. It's a ten mile drive off Interstate 5 and sometimes when your making a long trip as we were an extra ten miles can seem like forever. But this place is so very worth the extra minutes. There's no lobby to speak of and we came in late and found keys waiting for us in a pre-arranged place. It's an old building, so no elevator and creaky floors, and it almost seemed like we had the place to yourselves, although we were told the place was sold out, so we kept it down in case people were already asleep in their rooms. After getting our things sorted out in the room, I went to explore the rest of the building and found, to my surprise, a huge back room abuzz with quiet commotion. Dozens of little old and not so old ladies were quilting away to the innocuous jangle of a little radio, talking and sipping tea and swapping stories about sons and nephews and retirement and planned retirement. It was a beautiful thing to behold. Quilts of all sizes and colors and fabric types. And nary a television.
In the morning, we got some breakfast at the cafe. Do not miss this!!! Fresh, Farm fresh everything. Good coffee and the best tasting tap water imaginable. Which got us to thinking... there are probably good hiking trails to waterfalls in these parts. I did a quick search on my iphone and voila. The McArthur-Burney Falls were just a short way down the road. We made a short morning excursion, where I felt I needed a brisk plunge in the river. ICE COLD, but sooo damned good. And then we were off. Highly recommend this little detour.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple