All reviews mount shasta claw foot tub decorated differently breakfast downstairs candy shop general store turn of the century friday george room quilting retreat common room modern amenities great view of mt small kitchen no elevator miller suite the ground floor bed was very comfortable
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Our room was fantastic, especially the HUGE whirlpool tub, the furniture and the wood panelling worthy of the timber barons when the Inn was both the company store and lumber company offices. Even the soaps were truly outstanding and made our skin feel great in the dry climate. Innkeepers Kevin and Darlene were right on top of a minor electrical problem in our room and when we tried to buy lots of the soaps to give as gifts, Kevin and Darlene GAVE us about 6 soaps which they even attractively wrapped to make up for the electrical problem. Now that's REAL SERVICE!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

McCloud is a tiny little town in the shadow of Mt Shasta and there isn't much to it except this wonderful Inn and a stellar diner. It's a ten mile drive off Interstate 5 and sometimes when your making a long trip as we were an extra ten miles can seem like forever. But this place is so very worth the extra minutes. There's no lobby to speak of and we came in late and found keys waiting for us in a pre-arranged place. It's an old building, so no elevator and creaky floors, and it almost seemed like we had the place to yourselves, although we were told the place was sold out, so we kept it down in case people were already asleep in their rooms. After getting our things sorted out in the room, I went to explore the rest of the building and found, to my surprise, a huge back room abuzz with quiet commotion. Dozens of little old and not so old ladies were quilting away to the innocuous jangle of a little radio, talking and sipping tea and swapping stories about sons and nephews and retirement and planned retirement. It was a beautiful thing to behold. Quilts of all sizes and colors and fabric types. And nary a television.
In the morning, we got some breakfast at the cafe. Do not miss this!!! Fresh, Farm fresh everything. Good coffee and the best tasting tap water imaginable. Which got us to thinking... there are probably good hiking trails to waterfalls in these parts. I did a quick search on my iphone and voila. The McArthur-Burney Falls were just a short way down the road. We made a short morning excursion, where I felt I needed a brisk plunge in the river. ICE COLD, but sooo damned good. And then we were off. Highly recommend this little detour.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here last week with 2 couples and we had a wonderful time. The rooms were amazing, and exactly as shown on the website. Every room has a different theme from the past. We really felt like we were 100 years back in time, but with all the luxuries we could ask for. Our room had a bathtub-on-claws in the room, which reminded me of those old western movies. The bathtub really worked, and it was nicely set up with towels and soap. We also had a separate bathroom with double showers. Everything was spacious and clean. The bed was a bit too soft for me, but that is just my super-personal opinion.

Because of our late check-in, we arrived to find the hotel keys taped to the door with our names on it. I guess McCloud is a very honest town! We could just go to our rooms without seeing any staff members, and we paid the next day in the store downstairs.

Breakfast downstairs was great as well, and it was a nice surprise that we had a 20 dollar credit per room. Everybody was super-friendly, and we wish we could have stayed one more night. But we will be back!

Room Tip: Check online to see pictures of all the rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingTurtle08
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed the Friday George rm recently and it was the worst sleep I have had anywhere. All the rooms are on the top floor of a large bldg and of course heat rises. That entire level was too hot; couldn't enjoy the common areas.
When I arrived the temp in my room registered 78; after 3 hours of running the a/c full blast, it showed a 3 degree drop. By then it was cool enough outside to open the window, when I discovered right outside this room was a huge vent for the cafe which made way more noise than the noisy room a/c. This went off at 9pm and on at 7:20 AM. Then the room's fan started coming on every 5 minutes and ran for 10 seconds, just long enough to make sure you were awake. The controls had two settings for the fan, "on" and "auto" There was no shutting the thing off. Can't enjoy the decor if you can't get a good night's sleep

Room Tip: Don't stay in Friday George room or any room on that side of the building. Don't stay here during warm weather. The place may be nicely decorated, as others have stated, but they cut corners on the A/C which is not adequate for the situation and way too noisy by modern stndards
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Deskandchairs
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The first time we stayed here I was so excited and loved the old time feel! What impressed me the most was how clean everything was! Also the effort into every inch of the room details makes it flow so nicely and are not lacking a bit. You feel like you are in a romantic and completely done sanctuary! We look forward to coming here every year for our little getaway. So kind and friendly, just like family! Nothing about the rooms feel cheap and that makes it feel like an actual getaway instead of a dissapointment. Look forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: The Wintu room is very peaceful!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple