“Interesting concept”

Irori Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Irori Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 143 Restaurants in Marina del Rey
Price range: USD 15 - USD 40
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mindanao Way
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

This is a unique Japanese dining experience because you have to take your shoes off and you sit on the floor. I wasn’t wearing socks and I felt very uncomfortable walking around in there barefoot. I definitely didn’t want to use the bathroom barefoot. Unbeknownst to me, and unadvertised, were footie stockings to put on at the front where you leave your shoes. That should have been more visible, or the hostess should have said something. I’m surprised they even want barefoot people in a dining establishment. I would think that is a health code concern.

So the seating is interesting. It seems like you will be sitting on the floor, but really you are able to put your legs down into holes under the tables. So you still sit upright like you are in a chair, but your bottom is on the floor.

The food is very good. We got an assortment of sushi and Japanese entrees. The staff is abrupt and takes dishes away before you are even finish. Beware! I think they want to turn tables so they try to rush you out.

My adult son really liked it,and would return, but I would not choose to go there again. So mixed reviews, but overall a 4 for ambiance and good Japanese food.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Excellent atmosphere. Very good food and service. No doubt that this is one of the best. I will return again.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Having lived in Japan for a couple of years, and Seattle the rest of the time, I have experienced a wide array of sushi joints over my 50+ years on planet earth. Irori is the real deal. From the understated strip mall location, to the elevated wooden floor that allows guests to experience what it is like to sit on the floor of a traditional Japanese sushi-ya, to the shoe cubbies at the entrance, to the fresh and expertly prepared nigiri, rolls and sashimi, Irori delivers an outstanding and memorable experience. Since the dark wood floor is elevated 18" via a ramp to the dining room, everyone sits with legs hanging down under low tables, offering the visual of sitting in the floor without the discomfort of sitting seiza-style (on one's knees). My daughter and I enjoyed seats at the sushi bar with Han-sensei guiding us through a sublime omakase (chef's choice) experience. The Amber Jack with shiso (beefsteak leaf) was remarkable and not to be missed. The optional ikura (salmon roe) with quail egg-topper was a tasty challenge for my college-aged daughter (she loved it). Seaweed salad and agedashi tofu were winners as well. If dining on a Friday make reservations days in advance or patiently wait for your table as a walk-in. Friday waits were 30-40 minutes for a 2 top at 7:30pm.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I've eaten Poke in a lot of places and can tell the quality of good sushi and was a little disappointed with the quality serves at Irori. But I will give points for how sweet the Uni was. If I'm even in town I would give the restaurant another try.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

A reservation had been made several days previously for 8 people, but when we arrived on time, they wanted to put us at a table for 6. When we explained that would not work, we had to wait until a proper sized table was available. The tables are ground level and you sit with feet hanging down. Getting into proper seating position is very difficult if you have back or arthritis problems, and far worse trying to get up after the meal. You nearly need to be a gymnast to get into position to eat. A diner with 2 hip replacements nearly need a crane to get up
The food was good and the service attentive. The prices likely typical for California.