“Don't waste your time”
Review of petros

petros
Reserve with OpenTable
petros is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 198 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Price range: USD 15 - USD 40
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Our Menu is a combination of the best ingredients that Hellenic and Californian cuisine have to offer. Quality, simplicity, healthy and tasty food is the creation of the combination
Reviewed 14 November 2017

My husband booked this restaurant to celebrate my birthday. We live within walking distance and as it was a Sunday night, we thought it would be a nice experience. We had wanted to try it for a long time and had heard fantastic reviews.
Our reservations were for 6p. We got there a little early but the restaurant was virtually empty so we were seated right away. It would have been nice if we were offered patio seating as there were tables available but we weren't.
We got our menus right away and the bread and garlic sauce was great. When our waitress appeared, I ordered a pomegranate iced tea. She looked at me like I was speaking greek. I had to show her in the menu where it was listed. My son ordered calamari with the dressing on the side & my husband ordered their greek caesar salad. We ordered our entrees but 10 minutes later, the waitress returned and said they were out of the boneless short ribs. Hard to believe since this is one of their specialties and supposedly made fresh daily. I questioned that and was told they had a "lunch rush" and she was just informed. Nothing really grabbed my attention so I figured I'd order the moussaka.
The calamari arrived with the sauce all over it. When we pointed out the mistake, we were told they'd redo it but it would take a while. Meanwhile, my husband was finished with his salad before the calamari arrived. My son ate maybe 4 pieces when he pulled something out of his mouth. He said I think it's cartilage. I looked at it and no, not cartilage but rather a strip of plastic. I asked to speak to a manager and had to wait 8 minutes (yes I timed it) before she showed up. She asked if there was a problem and I proceeded to tell her from the beginning how terrible it was starting with the waitress not knowing the menu, to my entree choice not being available to the plastic in my son's appetizer. She ignored the waitress's not knowing the menu but told me that they don't get meat delivered on Sundays so the short rib choice is only offered until it runs out as it was made the day before. Guess it's false advertising saying made fresh daily. She looked at the plastic and just couldn't understand where it came from. She removed the calamari but no offer of replacement was made.
When our entrees arrived, my son's steak was more rare than medium but by that point, he was too hungry & ate half of it along with the french fries. The green beans that came with it were tasteless.
My husband and I ordered Moussaka. What a mistake. It comes in a casserole dish, very little eggplant to be found (a few thinly sliced strips) and who puts cheddar cheese on top of Moussaka? I travel to Athens frequently and I have NEVER had moussaka prepared like this. When asked, I was very truthful on how disappointed I was.
They gave us an upgraded dessert plate but as none of us are big sweet eaters, it meant very little. They did comp the calamari and the dessert but in all honesty, they should have comped the entire meal. They weren't busy and the manager was less than stellar. I won't be back and & won't recommend this place to anyone who visits Manhattan Beach.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We got there early so was able to score an outdoor table. The bread was terrific and my husband loved the Calamari. He and his sister was able to make their own cocktail sauce because it did not come with cocktail sauce which was fine. My husband said the lamb sandwich was delicious and I had the Trypto...something. I can't remember but it was delicious. The roasted red pepper dip that I had was a bit hot for my pallette but it was good!.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

This restaurant is the gem of the Manhattan Beach, serving gourmet Greek food. Everything is wonderful, including the wine. Lovely atmosphere. Not your ordinary Greek hangout. Save room for the glorious desserts.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

A really nice place fr a group. The food is excellent. Great desserts. Nice place for couples and special occasions.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Petros offers a sweet spot to dine out in Manhattan Beach on lazy summer nights. It is a contemporary Greek restaurant, beautifully decorated, with a sexy bar to stop into. My personal favorites are the watermelon, mint, feta salad (a meal in itself) and the saganaki which is so tasty. Be careful, all the little dips and appetizers can fill you up and you will miss out on the wonderful fish dishes they have to offer for entrees. Still haven't had the lamb yet -- but it looks, oh so good.....you'll love it here. The Servers are Manhattan Beach's finest.....