“LA Layover Lunch”

Fishing with Dynamite
Reserve with OpenTable
Fishing with Dynamite is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

We were in town for an overnight layover, and we thought we would go to Manhattan Beach and spend some time during the afternoon. We had found FWD on TripAdvisor, as well as a recommendation from a friend who knows Chef LeFevre.

We enjoyed wonderful fare and gracious hospitality. Sumayyah, our server was delightful; and Caroline stopped by our table to check on us as well, and we truly enjoyed our conversation. We had a new Salmon dish and yellowtail tacos, both of which were excellent. Great place, great food, great people!

Reviewed 31 August 2018

We are locals to Manhattan Beach and the food here is consistently good! You really can't go wrong and the pricing is reasonable~

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Ate here for the first time! Sat at the bar, we were lucky on a Saturday night to get a seat without a reservation. I had the Salmon, which was very tasty, just big enough for me. My friend had the oysters, was fun watching them shuck and prepare at the Oyster bar.
Highly recommend the squash rolls....

The bartender looked like he was making a mean Sazerac....next time!

Fun place, high energy, good food, healthy options and great friendly staff!

Reviewed 22 August 2018

Zagat gave this restaurant a great rating... but I think a second review is warranted. Some say this is the best seafood in Manhattan Beach and everyone is entitled to their opion. However, I found this place to be a total loser. I don't know if this is some sort of in thing now, but restaurants play loud rock music while your eating. I am not suggesting that music should be Musak... but it is always nice to have a conversation with the people you are dining with. Dynamite has the atmosphere of the rock concert. If you like Led Zepplin and Metalica while you're eating, this is the place for you. I know tapas are appetizers but for $19, the Hamachi Sashimi is the size of a ping pong ball.Hard to split this with someone and really feel like you had a $9.50 bite. We also ordered the Saffron Potato Octopus $22...lots of Saffron Potato but very little octopus. The $18 Tuna Tataki was identifible as a tuna dish. But like the octopus, there wasn't enough tuna on the plate to last through one verse of "Whole Lotta Love.... " We also ordered a Coleman Farm Salad because we were still hungry... it comes with green goddess dressing... which reminded me of the roadside diners back east... when the waitress would ask "you want slaw with that hot dog or a side of salad with green goddess dressing?" I always went with the slaw... but then again the prices were a lot lower and you needed two hands to hold the hot dog.. This place is loud, overrated with miniscule portions that makes warm unappealing Martini's. However, if you still want to go there and check it out... I suggest you pack a sandwich so you can have something to eat after your dinner.

1  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 22 August 2018

My fiance and I had the pleasure of dining at Fishing with Dynamite for my birthday this past Thursday, August 16th. We had a truly wonderful experience. The restaurant is small, so prepare for a wait in the evenings, but it is absolutely worth it (just go hang out on the beach, a short walk away). The service was wonderful, including both the hostess and our waitress. We were absolutely starving as we had just flown into LAX, so we did what most overzealous carnivores would do and ordered the Queen Mary (which serves several people but I probably could have eaten the whole thing myself). It was supposed to have 9 oysters, 4 clams, 8 shrimp, 10 mussels, 1/2 lobster, and 1/2 king crab. We got several scallops instead of mussels but what did we care, all of it was absolutely delicious and prepared to perfection. The aesthetics of this shellfish extravaganza were too impressive to put into words. Complete with two towers and a little note explaining where the oysters came from, it also came with a bevy of sauces (explained very nicely by a male server). I almost didn't want to touch the thing it was so beautiful but alas we dived right in and all of it was incredible. The oysters were a third from the west coast and two thirds from the east coast but all delicious. The clams were like heaven and my personal favorite. The scallops were exquisite, beautifully prepared in their big purple shells with little pieces of grapefruit. The lobster and crab tasted just like the sea and reminded me of my sailing trips with my parents when i was a kid in New York. I wanted another Queen Mary but my fiance and my wallet stopped me. As if things couldn't get any better, we order the New England clam chowder afterwards (as we were still hungry). I went to school in New England and love seafood (obviously) so I am somewhat of a chowder snob and I was suspect at first (as I am with all west coast clam chowders), but Fishing with Dynamite did an incredible job with this New England clam chowder. First thing first, they brought it out in two separate bowls, which was adorable. They could have just slopped a bowl of chowder with two spoons between my fiance and I, but they really paid attention to detail which I quickly realized was one of my favorite things and perhaps the biggest highlight of all at Fishing with Dynamite. They even gave us two little silver ramekins filled with croutons. <3 The chowder had the clams still in the shell, and the base was the perfect thickness. There was bacon in it, and of course potatoes, and a light smattering of onions and other vegetables. No one ingredient outweighed the other and the chowder overall was absolutely delightful. We wanted dessert (of course). I was scared because everything so far was perfect; how would the dessert hold up? We got the pretzel bread pudding and OH MY GOD it was like sesso nella mia bocca, it had this sauce that could break your heart and it was warm with the ice cream melting over the top and just perfect. There appeared to be several different kinds of bread in it (pretzel) which made it even more amazing. It didn't have any raisins or any of that other weird stuff, just simple bread and ice cream and sauce and heaven. I could have died right there with my fiance and had all I ever needed. I couldn't believe just how amazing all of the food was at Fishing with Dynamite. The only I thing I would do differently next time is order two Mother Shuckers instead of the Queen Mary. Definitely try Fishing with Dynamite if you fancy yourself in Manhattan Beach, it is truly dynamite.