“Dynamite”

Fishing with Dynamite
Reserve with OpenTable
Fishing with Dynamite is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2018

My fiance and I had the pleasure of dining at Fishing with Dynamite for my birthday this past Thursday, August 16th. We had a truly wonderful experience. The restaurant is small, so prepare for a wait in the evenings, but it is absolutely worth it (just go hang out on the beach, a short walk away). The service was wonderful, including both the hostess and our waitress. We were absolutely starving as we had just flown into LAX, so we did what most overzealous carnivores would do and ordered the Queen Mary (which serves several people but I probably could have eaten the whole thing myself). It was supposed to have 9 oysters, 4 clams, 8 shrimp, 10 mussels, 1/2 lobster, and 1/2 king crab. We got several scallops instead of mussels but what did we care, all of it was absolutely delicious and prepared to perfection. The aesthetics of this shellfish extravaganza were too impressive to put into words. Complete with two towers and a little note explaining where the oysters came from, it also came with a bevy of sauces (explained very nicely by a male server). I almost didn't want to touch the thing it was so beautiful but alas we dived right in and all of it was incredible. The oysters were a third from the west coast and two thirds from the east coast but all delicious. The clams were like heaven and my personal favorite. The scallops were exquisite, beautifully prepared in their big purple shells with little pieces of grapefruit. The lobster and crab tasted just like the sea and reminded me of my sailing trips with my parents when i was a kid in New York. I wanted another Queen Mary but my fiance and my wallet stopped me. As if things couldn't get any better, we order the New England clam chowder afterwards (as we were still hungry). I went to school in New England and love seafood (obviously) so I am somewhat of a chowder snob and I was suspect at first (as I am with all west coast clam chowders), but Fishing with Dynamite did an incredible job with this New England clam chowder. First thing first, they brought it out in two separate bowls, which was adorable. They could have just slopped a bowl of chowder with two spoons between my fiance and I, but they really paid attention to detail which I quickly realized was one of my favorite things and perhaps the biggest highlight of all at Fishing with Dynamite. They even gave us two little silver ramekins filled with croutons. <3 The chowder had the clams still in the shell, and the base was the perfect thickness. There was bacon in it, and of course potatoes, and a light smattering of onions and other vegetables. No one ingredient outweighed the other and the chowder overall was absolutely delightful. We wanted dessert (of course). I was scared because everything so far was perfect; how would the dessert hold up? We got the pretzel bread pudding and OH MY GOD it was like sesso nella mia bocca, it had this sauce that could break your heart and it was warm with the ice cream melting over the top and just perfect. There appeared to be several different kinds of bread in it (pretzel) which made it even more amazing. It didn't have any raisins or any of that other weird stuff, just simple bread and ice cream and sauce and heaven. I could have died right there with my fiance and had all I ever needed. I couldn't believe just how amazing all of the food was at Fishing with Dynamite. The only I thing I would do differently next time is order two Mother Shuckers instead of the Queen Mary. Definitely try Fishing with Dynamite if you fancy yourself in Manhattan Beach, it is truly dynamite.

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

It was crowded so instead of waiting for a table we grabbed two seats at the bar.
Excellent cocktails, excellent service and excellent food. Just a block of main, check it out.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Classic beach cafe with open doors in the summer, so beach flies. Just shoot them away. Fantastic food, great service. Got the Chef's mother's recipe for classic dinner rolls, but with squash in the dough. Nice crust on the top with coarse kosher salt which explodes happy saltiness into your mouth, with creamy rosemary butter.
The Soft shell Blue Crab was literally melt in your mouth with a great slaw with cantelope. And the grilled street corn was amazing. The emusified butter was tasty. Fun location and cool music.

Reviewed 24 July 2018

Everyone told me if you are in Manhattan Beach you have to go to Fishing with Dynamite. So we did. Ordered the Clam Chowder (good and different from others with clams still in the shell), Crab Cake (very salty), the rice (which turns out is not really a rice dish at all but a overpriced soupy dish) and the corn (with to much sauce to really even taste the corn. Final bill for 2 people with a beer and a mix drink, $170. Service was good however.

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We had been meaning to try this little joint after reading many great reviews and visits to Manhattan Beach.
We booked an early table on a Saturday and it was completely packed at 5.15pm when we arrived. We know why!
The service is super friendly and really helpful as the menu is quite big with so many great options.
We had a Peruvian scallops amuse sent from the manager that had us sold on ordering more. Lip tingling and so juicy.
Albacore tuna special that was smoky and straight from the grill and so fresh!
I could go on.. we will definitely be back as so much more to try and food envy with all the other diners plates being placed around us.
Must try when visiting the Beach