“One of the best by the beach”

Darren's Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Darren's Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 198 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Manhattan Beach Blvd
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Darren’s food and wine is always top shelf. A foodie’s Restaurant! Great food, great people, great service. Classic greatness for years. One of Manhattan Beach’s finest.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

A talented chef, a comfortable room, a great bar (and bartender), professional and warm service, and a varied, tasty menu...Darren's delivers on all facets of a dining experience. I've been to Darren's before and always came away satisfied but last night's experience really was perfect. The menu is quite diverse with choices of small plates and large plates, salads, and appetizers. Everything the three of us ordered was delicious. My entree was the clear winner, miso black cod. I always order it in any restaurant that has it on the menu and Darren's is by far the best offering of that dish. Also enjoyed by my dining partners were the short ribs and pork chop plus we split sides of mac and cheese and risotto. We enjoyed every morsel. I've eaten in every Manhattan Beach restaurant but Darren's is now my number one pick.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I don’t know where to begin but I came here on a Sunday night with friends and we we’re visiting from out of town. I have been to Darren’s a few times before both for a few personal visits and brought clients. I have never had service like this. We were trying to have a good night and maybe should have spoken to a manager. I did send the restaurant a private message off their website email days ago regarding this and never got a response back so it leaves me to believe that they are not real interested in fixing issues.
Here is the long list of concerns.
-Waiter forgot add on items to meals and then left items on order that we specifically asked him not to include. Put anchovies on salad and left office chicken.
- When bringing our cocktails the server brought a shot for himself
- Actually sat down with us at our table a few times to chat and did not pick up on a cue that maybe we were having a night out with friends
- Server brought up other places he worked for with a political connection. We weren’t interested at all
-Told stories about drinking at the establishment.
-Asked for condiments(pepper) multiple times and it never came
-One person in our group didn’t eat their entree as the macaroni was tasteless and the server never thought to question why and brought the bill.

Really unprofessional and not a place to bring clients. This time Darren’s really failed and why spend the money for an experience like this.

Only good part of this was that what I personally ordered was good.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

We were just roaming around Manhattan Beach near LAX on a flight stop-over when we eyed Darren‘s Restaurant and got such a nice invitation of the owner that we could not resist to enter! We got a great table at the window. As we were not really on eating big, we decided for 2 smaller dishes, a Baby Iceberg Lettuce and Mussels! We were really so positively surprised on the quality and taste of both. Beer on tap was also great. Good relaxed atmosphere in the place still to mention and excellent service. We loved it. We will be back.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

We had heard great things & made a reservation for a Saturday night....oddly the place was not packed which was weird for Manhattan Beach. Service not very good....after being seated it took a long while for someone to great us & offer us drinks....then another waiter came & said he would be helping us after we had been waiting for our drinks & to order food....no one seemed to know who was actually suppose to wait on our table so the 2 waiters were arguing about that...in the meantime we still had no drinks or ordered....the bar area was so loud with a few obnoxious people that it was hard to have conversations. The food was just okay too. Too bad because the location & place are great....however not a good night for us.