All reviews rooftop bar evening drinks loved every minute great shower each morning a great stay first floor the pacific coast highway emma surfboard hammocks vibe transformed pier deck california guests
Reviewed 10 June 2018

We stayed here for a few nights back in March, and loved every minute of it. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. We stayed in an “upstairs ocean view room,” and the views were breathtaking. We loved opening the shades each morning and waking up to the amazing sunrise. The room was clean and nicely decorated. It felt like a tastefully decorated, modern beach cottage. And the rest of the hotel was beautiful as well—from the lobby to the library. You will want to snap photos of every nook and cranny for inspiration for decorating back home! The rooftop restaurant was especially lovely. Views of the beach and ocean from there are stunning, and it’s decorated in such a way that you just want to lounge and take in the views for as long as possible. Everything was just very cozy and inviting. They even had a few vegan-friendly options on the menu.

Staff were friendly and helpful. On our first night, it was particularly cold and there were issues with the heat in our room. We called down to the front desk, and they worked to fix things immediately. They even called and came up to our room after fixing the problem to make sure everything was working properly and that we didn’t have any other issues. It was our first time staying in Malibu, and we absolutely loved our stay here. It was nice to have a quieter stay in the LA area, and it was lovely waking up to the ocean each morning and being able to walk right across the street to the beach each day. Would highly recommend this place. In fact, I can’t wait to go back!

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Nikki607
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days and loved every minute of it! Clean, intimate, comfortable, and super-friendly are a few words that aptly describe this small gem of a hotel.

Conveniently located across from Malibu Pier, it offers an easy drive to many of the areas world-famous beaches. We made use of their complementary beach towels and beach umbrella. They have surf boards and wet suits for guests too! Our stay was perfect!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed at this property for one night during a 12 day road trip through California. Whilst it was the hotel with the smallest room size, smallest bed and the noisiest we stayed in (as it is right on Highway One, - but actually it was quieter than I thought it would be so don’t let that put you off) it was a great stay and I would definitely stay here again.

The whole motel is decorated beautifully and it has a bohemian, airy and laid back vibe to it. The service is as good as any 5 star hotel I have stayed in. Travis and his team are warm, welcoming and genuinely interested in making your stay enjoyable.

The roof top bar which is only for hotel guests is fantastic. We had wine, cocktails and lunch there and sat playing games for a few hours soaking in the views. It is a real selling point of this motel and Travis makes a mean cocktail!

The location of the motel next to the pier is outstanding, and means you can pop to dinner at Malibu Farm or to the world famous beach in minutes.

The decor of the room is lovely and the beauty products are incredible. So much so that we found some in Duty Free at LAX and bought it on our way home to remind us of our trip!

I do think the rate is a little pricey for the size of the room, but the location, excellent service, decor and ambience of the place makes it acceptable.

This is a real gem and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in Malibu for one or two nights.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

The Surfrider - Malibu is lovely, refined and beach Yu elegance. We stayed 5 nights in the Pacific Suite which had panaoramic ocean views. Rooftop open air deck serves all meals beautifully done. We enjoyed morning coffee, healthy breakfast bowls and sunset drinks. Friendly staff go out of their way to make you feel at home. Just a fantastic experience. We highly recommend!!!

A few pointers - parking is tight. Rent a small vehicle. No coffee maker or shelves in room. We asked for 10 extra hangars so we could avoid leaving our stuff in suitcase.

We can’t wait to come back!!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our tour of the coast and we absolutely loved it.

The location is phenomenal and is right across from the Malibu Pier.

The room was beautiful with a great shower and we absolutely loved the guests only rooftop patio. The drinks were excellent and the food was so good! We spent the majority of our stay on that patio and I wouldn't have it any other way. Why go anywhere else when the great view, vibe, drinks, and food is all in one place? Travis did a great job of taking care of us during our stay and we were disappointed we couldn't say thank you before we left. So if you ever read this, THANKS Travis!

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Malibu.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple