“I pet a wolf!”

Wolf Mountain Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors are allowed to interact with over a dozen wolves at this nonprofit that is dedicated to rescuing the animals from various unfavorable environments.
Reviewed 14 October 2012

A real honest to goodness wolf. And they even had one that played Jacob in the Twilight movies. The sanctuary is a great place to visit and I plan on continuing to support them through donations because they really need them. It's a great cause. I visited there when I stayed at Flip Flop Ranch which is a really neat farm that you can spend the night at.

3  Thank Sophia_BLosAngeles

Reviewed 3 April 2012

it was so nice we were taken a round and told the wolves personal stories and allwed to interact up close. was so beautiful. the animals were beautiful and the ladies that care for them were super nice!

5  Thank Brandi C
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Why they aren't doing a reality show about these caring and interesting people who are devoting their lives to wolf rescue, rehabilitation and relocation, instead of 'wild hogs' or 'obese chefs' is beyond me.
This is my first time of any adventure like this. I really was not expecting anything all that interesting or enlightening, but boy was I wrong. These people are the real deal. Don't be expecting some staged wolf habitat at the zoo. You walk in amongst many of the wolves and meet them in THEIR homes. It's safe, enjoyable and worthwhile. We did the 'half-day' experience, so we were by ourselves with a guide. I'll return.

4  Thank Brentfromkc
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We read about the wolf sanctuary on the internet and thought it would be fun to go and see the wolves. Shortly after arriving our excitement turned to complete disappoint. The wolves were in very small cages. They had no shade and no comfortable place to lay. Some of the wolves were in such small cages they couldn't even get the proper exercise. This is not a sanctuary!!!!! Please DO NOT PAY money to go to this place!!!! in my opinion, a sanctuary is a place to go and relax and recover from a previous dramatic experience. This place is horrible!!!!. The cages are small, and provide no shade to the wolves. They are in the middle of the desert so the temperatures will be extreme in the summer.

Also, they mentioned to us that in the past year, they lost a few wolves to cancer. We asked if cancer is common in wolves and they said no, not in the wild. They did mention though that there is a concrete mill close by and that gives off chemicals which they believe is causing cancer in the wolves. The wolves need to be rescued from this so called "Sanctuary" and taken to a place where they can have a proper treatment and room to run. There poor animals don't deserve this.

16  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My friend and I visited Wolf Mountain, as seeing a Wolf up close and personal is something that we have both longed to do. We were not disappointed at all seeing these beautiful animals, being able to touch them, look into their amazing eyes, and knowing that they are very well taken care of. The staff were very friendly, answered all of our questions and provided us with a lot of information about the Wolf's own personal story and about the behavior etc. of Wolves in general. It really was a great and memorable experience.

The sour side is that we both paid $75 for the half day tour versus the $25 one hour tour, because we didn't feel that one hour was enough. We also brought along 20lbs of chicken, 10lbs of ground beef (for the sick Wolf who can only eat beef) and two Costco sized boxes of dog biscuits that were recommended by Tonya. The problem was we were joined by three people who had only paid $25 for the one hour tour. Now that wasn't really the problem for me as it was the tour guide's decision to give three people the half day tour for $25. The problem was that these people who paid less seemed to get much more than we did, namely, they were given priority when it came time to have our photo taken with one very friendly Wolf. They were asked first to sit on a giant bolder, Tonya used food to entice the Wolf to climb onto the boulder with them and this made for some amazing photos. After a few minutes the Wolf stepped off, and was done, so when my turn came of course the Wolf was done with posing with guests. I realize these are not circus animals, in fact after a few minutes of watching Tonya trying to get the Wolf to sit on the boulder with me I told her it was okay that he didn't want to. She gave me some chicken jerky and the Wolf ate it out of my hand. I guess I should be grateful, my friend didn't even get that opportunity. I know I sound like a crybaby, but I don't understand why the people who paid $25 for one hour got preferential treatment over my friend and I who paid $75, especially as the guy that was with them broke every rule he was asked to follow . Also, we arrived with a cooler with $120 worth of meat for the Wolves. We were asked to leave the cooler near the check in area and they would put the meat in the freezer. When we left, we went to get our cooler and two guys said they would put it into the car for us. When we got home and lifted the cooler out of the car we realized that they had left the 10lbs of frozen ground beef that we had bought for the Istas, the sick Wolf, in there and it had defrosted.

Despite my disappointment, this is a great place to see these lovely creatures. If you are paying $75 for the half day tour I suggest you ask a lot of questions when booking, such as how many people in the group etc., and how long the half day tour is, as our tour only lasted two and a half hours. Lastly, if you take frozen meat for the Wolves, tell the staff that you will carry it to their freezer yourself, don't let it spoil.

14  Thank LosAngelesSue

Been to Wolf Mountain Sanctuary? Share your experiences!