New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #28 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I will try to keep this short and sweet. I love this hotel. I love the staff (nicest hotel staff I have encountered anywhere in all of my travels). I love the location (the other, pricier hotels ... i.e. Sunset Tower, etc...are sexier, but not in a great walking location). You can walk to the Farmers Market or the Grove or Beverly Center (or Beverly Hills if you are feeling a nice hike). And the rooms are great for the money. They are mildly banged up, but the bed is comfy, and the bathrooms are newly renovated. Not a lot of street noise (ask to face the small pool). Wifi is free (I think with most every rate) and the restaurant inside is tasty. Again, this is not the Four Seasons, but I always stay here while in Los Angeles as everything feels walkable (a rarity for this city) and accessible (takes about 4 minutes for Valet unlike some of the other larger properties in the hood).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mandalaypokerplayer
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Mandalaypokerplayer,

Thank you so much for your repeat visits with us during your trips to Los Angeles. It is always a pleasure to know when someone appreciates our terrific West 3rd Street location.

I am sorry to hear that your room was mildly banged up. We do have a rotation maintenance program to take rooms out of guest use and completely go over them top to bottom. If you notice anything like this on a future visit please let us know and we will prioritize that room.

On behalf of myself and the entire staff, thank you very much for the kind review. We look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,
Tohnia Miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Where do I start to describe The Orlando - 'one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at', and that's just the beginning!!!!
From the moment I walked in the door, the staff were amazing. They are all professional, friendly, kind and will all go out of their way to provide whatever you need.
I have to take a moment to mention Guest Services Manager, Paul Gardner. I have stayed in many hotels over the years, but I have never met someone who was so wonderful, treated everyone with kindness and respect, and would do literally anything to make your stay an great experience. Maybe more impressive than that is that every one of his staff members respected him, and talked kindly about him as soon as you mentioned his name - a very very rare quality. Also, I must mention Managing Director Tohnia Miller. She was also extremely kind, and caring, and has done an incredible upgrade job on the hotel.
The room was extremely comfortable, and very spacious. The bathroom was beautiful, and had everything you needed, where you needed it - including a great hairdryer!
There was a lovely pool, and fitness room too.
I was sick the first night I arrived there, and even though I wanted something off menu from the room service menu the staff were more than happy to help out.
Thank you again to all at The Orlando - you made my stay! I look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: Stay in a back facing room - towards the pool - it's very quiet!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mels13148
Dear Mels13148,

It was such a pleasure to have you as our guest. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Thank you for the kind words and I know it means a lot to Paul and the team that they made an impact during your stay with us.

We very much look forward to the next time you are in Los Angeles.

Very warm regards,
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Lovely location!
Proximity to restaurants and boutiques was convenient so that I was able to walk to get breakfast and do some shopping.

I loved how CLEAN and chic it was. Modern tiles and furniture. Frosted glass sliding door into the bathroom. Great amenities in terms of providing cotton rounds, cotton swabs, Terry cloth hair elastic, etc.

The sink had an usual stopper so when I called the front desk, they sent someone immediately to fix it.

Sauna was closed down permanently during the hotel's reconstruction, so the heated outdoor salt water pool was my only option but a good option. roof top pool in the sense that nothing was overhead but the sky.

I was right next to the elevator on the second floor where you could hear the immensely loud club below but when I walked into my room, it was sound proof and I forgot all about it.

The bar downstairs is free to guests and a vibrant place for young, social people. Has a cute fireplace and you can choose an indoor or outdoor scene to hang out.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank DentistDorisUSN
Dear DentistDorisUSN,

It is truly rewarding to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and our West 3rd Street neighborhood.

We did in fact remove the dry saunas and replaced them with a terrific spa services suite. We now offer full service massages, spa treatments and facials. In addition, by moving the old massage room we were able to add a brand new business center with both PC’s and a Mac, fax and scanner for complimentary guest use. So we think it was a good trade.

The Churchill, the new restaurant located in the hotel has certainly become quite the hot spot and they serve a great all day brunch seven days a week.

Thank you for choosing the Orlando during your Los Angeles travels. We hope to see you again soon.

Very best,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

This is the first time that we have ever chosen to stay at a boutique hotel instead of one of the big chain hotels, and it was a great decision! The front desk service is friendly and helpful. They always greet you when you arrive or leave and take the time to answer any question that was asked.

Since we had booked on one of the "name to be revealed after you pay" sites, we weren't expecting The Orlando to accommodate our request of two beds instead of a king bed. They didn't have a double room when we checked in, but gave us a spacious room with a king and a pull out sofabed. They also honored my request of getting a room on one of the higher floors and away from the elevators. The fact that I booked on a discount site was never mentioned. Very discreet and professional!

Since the hotel had just finished a major renovation and update, the room was clean and very nicely appointed with modern amenities. The bed was super comfortable, and they offer a turn down service at night complete with chocolates on your pillows. The bathroom was on the smaller side, but again, very nicely appointed. There is no bathtub in the hotel's bathrooms, but it wasn't an issue for us as we prefer to shower anyways. For the three nights that we were there, we slept comfortably, and had a very pleasant, quiet stay.

The only minor negative is that the hotel has only one public computer and printer in the lounge, so sometimes, it is quite inconvenient waiting for someone to finish on the computer so that you can use the printer.

The hotel itself is situated right on trendy 3rd Street with many restaurants and boutiques. They have their in house restaurant that just opened which we never got around to eating at, but every time that we passed by, it was packed. I highly recommend Joan's On Third (http://joansonthird.com/), which is right down the street from The Orlando, for at least one brunch or lunch. Their sandwiches and desserts are fabulous. For cheap and filling eats, there is a Soup Plantation ten minutes away in the direction of the Beverly Center. In the same complex as the Soup Plantation, there is also a CVS drugstore for any last minute purchases. The Grove and the Farmer's Market is a 15 minute walk away. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel as well as more bus routes all within a 10 minute walk away if you are depending on public transportation.

I highly recommend The Orlando for anyone that is looking for a non big chain hotel experience coupled with fantastic customer service and overall great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floored room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank SJunie
Dear SJunie,
It is such a pleasure to read your review and hope that we may have influenced you to make a transition from big brand hotels to boutique hotels for your future travels. I couldn’t be more delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to let you know that although most of our guest rooms have walk-in showers, we do have rooms with full bathtubs. You can request a bathtub when you make your reservation and we will be happy to accommodate the request whenever possible at no additional fee.

In the past month we have opened up a brand new business center. The business center is complimentary for our guests and features both a Mac and multiple PC’s as well as a fax machine, scanner and copier. We must have opened it very shortly after your visit with us.

I have to agree with you about not needing a car at our location. There are so many dining, shopping and entertainment activities within walking distance and we are right in the middle of many Metro lines heading to locations and cities all over greater Los Angeles. Contrary to popular opinion LA’s Metro system is safe, clean and easy to navigate.

I hope we have another chance to soon to have you stay with us.

Very best regards,
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I typically stay at a big box brand where I have a high loyalty ranking. However being in LA I wanted to stay in a smaller boutique hotel in a cool area. My friend recommended the Orlando. It was great, the room was really spacious and the bed was very comfortable. However, that's the easy part to me because you can buy that. However, what I was really impressed with was the phenomenal service that I received. Jeff at the front desk made me feel very welcome, he made restaurant recommendations and called a couple to check availability. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great hotel at a reasonable cost in a cool neighbourhood.

Locally, I really enjoyed Sushi Roki & Little Next Door for dinner and magnolia bakery & toast for breakfast/ brunch

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank bobbydacron
Dear Tuxedobob,

Of course we are fans of guests that enjoy a boutique hotel experience and an opportunity to get a taste of living LA the way we know it. Thank you so much for choosing the Orlando.

I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to Jeff. I know he will be pleased he made your stay more enjoyable.

I’m so glad you had a chance to dine with some of our favorite neighborhood restaurants.

We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,
Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel
#100 of 347 in Los Angeles
Hotel Normandie
#23 of 347 in Los Angeles

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!