“worst experience ever”

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #11 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I recently moved to Venice from NYC. I'd stayed at Hotel Erwin 2-3 times so when I was booking a hotel for my mother and aunt I thought of it since it's 4 blocks from my new place.

Our first night we went to dinner and while we were at dinner someone came into their room and stole a camera and a brand new iphone that had been charging. These things happen and it was unfortunate, but it was more upsetting how the hotel handled the situation.

After thoroughly searching the room to confirm it was taken we called the front desk. The didn't have a manager on duty so we filled out the report with their restaurant manager who told us to come back in the morning to continue the process. He assured us that they would check the security cameras.

My Aunt and my mom returned the next morning and finished the report. They had no information about the cameras and never followed up on that. They said their insurance would cover the phone, but couldn't confirm for how much and when the insurance company would get in contact. Refused to give us the name or number of the insurance company so there is no way for them to follow up. Couldn't assure us any time line or details. At the end of that conversation they said they would comp the 2 nights.

When they checked out on the clerk didn't know about the comped rooms and raised his voice when my aunt brought of the theft. He literally yelled at her "There is no theft in our hotel!" My aunt calmly clarified and insisted. Eventually he comped the rooms like they had promised. Then he started to charge her for the entire contents of the mini-bar. Apparently, when the theft occurred they also cleaned out the mini-bar. But because we never opened the the fridge we had no idea. Very strange. Again, we had to fight with the front desk- convincing them that 2 women in their late 60s didn't consume the entire contents of the mini-bar.

Needless to say this event dominated their entire weekend. I appreciate that theft can be a sensitive and difficult situation to deal with in a hotel, but we were patient and understanding at every turn. I was personally surprised to see how calmly my aunt and mom were since their room had been broken into. It was frustrating to see how the hotel dealt with calm, collected and understanding customers. I would hate to see how they handle customers who are less forgiving.

I have to say now I'd never recommend the Hotel Erwin and I certainly wouldn't stay there with valuables.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kathleen G
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Kathleen G,

I wanted to first that you for voicing your concerns here on TripAdvosr.

When this issue was brought to our attention, our Management team handled it right away. Since this happen at 10pm at night, first thing the following morning we opened a claim with our Insurance Zurich North America. Once that claim was opened, I reached out to the parties involved and informed them that they could stop by the front desk to pick up the information for the claim as they did not have anywhere to write the information down. I also followed up with both parties involved and emailed them all the information once an insurance adjuster was assigned to the claims.

After an investigation from the insurance company and the hotel, it was determined that the hotel was not at fault nor responsible for the missing items. Out of good faith, we did adjust off the 2 nights of Room and Tax charges as we understand this was not a pleasant experience.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact myself directly. Thank you again for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Erwin

Reviewed 15 March 2012

For my wife's birthday I surprised her with a little weekend beach getaway. We could not have been happier with the time we had at Hotel Erwin in Venice. The rooftop bar at the hotel, "High", is amazing. I don't think there is a better place to watch a sunset in LA. The drinks hit the spot as well. After drinks, that Friday evening happened to also be "First Friday" on Abbot Kinney. Hotel Erwin is in a great location to walk to the street/food truck fair as well as everything else in the Venice Beach area. It was the perfect evening. The next morning could not have worked out better as well. Our with a delicious breakfast in Barlo was followed by a walk along the famous Venice boardwalk. The hotel is not only in the perfect location for the ideal LA beach experience, but it is extremely hip and comfortable at the same time. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Josh W,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, High Rooftop Lounge, and Barlo, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the local area as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. I hope your wife’s birthday was a memorable experience.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication to our guests and service.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

I had to travel to Venice Beach, LA CA for business and stayed at the Hotel Erwin. It's currently under construction but the staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. This was my last stop on a rather long trip and I forgot to call that I was planning to check-in early, but they tried very hard to accommodate me even though I showed up 4 hours ahead of check-in time. While I waited for my room, no less than 3 groups came down to check-out who asked if they could stay another night because they loved it so much.

The room I stayed in (4th floor) was outdated by about 5-6 years - had a very funky vibe and graffiti art on the entry wall. However, the bed was comfy and they got my the hypoallergenic pillows I'd requested. There was noise from a bar below and a lot of light, but the drapes solved the problem pretty effectively. The balconies they offer are pretty small and have chic versions of folding camping chairs on them which I didn't find very comfortable - unless it's really warm out, I'd save your money from the balcony and just enjoy a regular room if you can't get the full ocean option.

BEST PART about the hotel is it's proximity to the actual beach (very short, easy walk) and the rooftop lounge. They had delicious food, great drinks and an excellent staff, but if you want to go up there and have a seat to watch the sunset, call ahead, even on a weeknight. That said, you can stand and get great pictures (see below) even if you don't have a table reserved.

Enjoyed my stay, if you're going to Venice to experience that location's vibe, no way you'd be disappointed. If you're not into the culture and funky atmosphere, may not be your thing, but you should at least stop by to check out the rooftop deck!

Room Tip: There are very few rooms with full ocean views, so try to reserve them with the upgrade option they...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Ana O,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Hotel Erwin was one of my little splurges on my last trip in SoCal...my boyfriend and I were looking forward to a boutique eclectic style experience & Hotel Erwin did not disappoint. During our stay, the hotel was undergoing some renovations however, we were not inconvenienced what so ever & the $10 restaurant vouchers in exchange for the disturbance made up for it. The service at this hotel was exceptional; Anderson the Valet was a gem. He catered to all our needs and went way beyond the duties of his job title. We also had a chance to try their new restaurant which was slightly pricey for breakfast but the choices were so interesting & yummy we didn't really care when the bill came! Another fun feature of the hotel is the rooftop deck with the cozy couches and a perfect view of Venice Beach!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sembriaco,

Thank you so much for posting a review to share with everyone here on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate it. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and i will be sure to pass along all the great comments to the entire team including Anderson.

It's great you had a chance to try our new restaurant Barlo. The food in there is amazing and i try to eat there often. Next time the SoCal Skillet if you didn’t this time, its the best!!

Best,

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Well, another amazing stay at Hotel Erwin last month when I needed to be in LA for work - the staff is incredible. The GM Ben is the nicest guy as well for special needs or requests. But honestly from valet to front desk to the maid-service you can't get a bad service at this place. I am headed back down at the end of this month and this time bringing people to entertain there. With great food, the rooftop deck, the beach you can be there for work, pleasure, a romantic weekend - it is all worth it!

Room Tip: Spend a little more for the partial or full ocean views - it is worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Clare M
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Dear Clare M,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed you stay once again. The staff all knows you and we love to have you on propertry. We look forward to seeing you later this month.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
#10 of 36 in Santa Monica
Casa del Mar
Casa del Mar
#3 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!