New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #90 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice Room and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Great location. The lobby is fabulous. Good beds, great pool, lovely service, and the food is fine. Don't get the fish tacos though. I enjoyed staying here. The decor is old in an oddly lovable way.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Solvang, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sportmen's Lodge February 10-11. We were in the LA area to make a delivery, and figured we would stay the night and have some fun in the big city. The Sportsmen's is close to many great restaurants and bars on Ventura Blvd, so we didn't have to travel far. We enjoyed a lovely meal at Ahi Sushi the next block over, and had great cadillac margaritas at MexiCali a few blocks down the other way. Yes, the hotel is older and slightly warn, but the place has a great funky vibe going on. The lobby bar was only open in the evening, but we enjoyed great company with our fellow travelers over delicious mai tais and conversation about LA and Studio City. We had such a great day at the Sportsmen's, we decided to stay another night and soak up more of the city.

The hotel is conveniently located with many restaurants, bars and shops within a few blocks. There's a grocery store across the street for those forgotten items, and it's just a few blocks off the freeway, making it very convenient.

There was a some type of movie being filmed when we first got there, but in no way did we feel it distracted from the common areas of the hotel. The second night there was a huge class reunion party in the gardens by the pool, but the kids were having a great time, and quite frankly the noise of their revelry was downright cheerful.

The staff we dealt with at check-in and other times were all very helpful and pleasant. When we initially checked in, the gentleman at the front desk asked if we had a AAA card, and he was able to give us a great discount with our card. He didn't have to do that!

All in all, we've decided any time we come back to the Studio City area, we will definitely stay at the Sportsmen's Lodge. I was hesitant to reserve here initially, due to the myriad of unpleasant reviews, but I can say we were very happy with every aspect of our stay -- thanks Sportsmen's for a great weekend!! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly B
Rsilva1965, General Manager at Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for your recent review and your visit. I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your business stay so much that you decided to stay with us for another night of relaxation and fun! I am happy you were able to experience the hotel and all it has to offer, including our magnificent staff. I Thank you for your feedback and special recognition. I hope you come and stay with us again soon…for business or pleasure!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stayed here one night and it was a fine accommodation- a bit worn, but still fun. Great location on Ventura Blvd in Studio City in central location in San fernanco Valley. Lots of history relative to Hollywood actors visiting there and trout-fishing in bygone days in the golden era. Bobby Kennedy spent his last night there before his assassination. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. Worth the stay just to see photos of glamorous actors of the past who stayed there back in 20's thru 60's.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agrathwol
san diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

My husband and I travel to LA once a year and always looking for "the hotel", I really wanted this place to be it. Looked good upon check-in, older, little funky- parking was easy.Was told no continenal breakfast disappointed, also thought travel book said rooms had frig and microwave, there weren't any. Funny- moldy, antiseptic smell in our hallway to our room. I could ignore that, if the rest were good. The room was fine, as promsed pool acess. The heated pool was great, the jacuzzi has a warning sign that it will strip your hair color. Couldn't stand the smell, it burned my eyes. Don't think it has to be that harsh, other places manage to tone that down. The walls are very thin, we could hear our neighbors tv. But all of this isn't the worst of it, at 6am on Sat morning we were wakened by noise outside our room, workers were sitting up tables for some event right in front of our pool acess. I called the front desk to ask what was the deal, they denied anything going on out by the pool. I said I see 6 round tables- oh those tables, the front desk said. Oh, tgey offered to move me, I was sick and I was leaving the next day, I wasn't moving. Yes, I could squeeze by the table in a wet bathing suit, but I wouldn't. There were other places to set up the lunch for the group there, why in my pool acess?? I happened to be very sick before their lunch, so I never got a chance to be inconvienced by the people. That said, I had to stay in my room that night, and I was jolted out of sleep at 8pm, by "Karens " dj. I wish I wouldn't have been sick, I would have joined the party. There is an open area and the noise just travels in between the building and bounces around. It was so loud, luckliy, I had ear plugs with me, so I could sleep my sickness away. Never been sick in a hotel room and I had the misfortune to be stuck in my room here. Bottom line at this place, EVENTS COME FIRST. If you've only paid for a room, and are a guest you are out of luck. I really wanted this place to be "IT", my hotel in LA. But I don't think so.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank beckiesandiego
Rsilva1965, General Manager at Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you for your thorough review. We appreciate your kind words about our accomodations. While we regret any inconvenience your experience may have caused, we do want you to know that we greatly appreciate our guest guest feedback so that we may constanly improve the quality of the services we provide. Thank you again for your comments and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel.
Ron Silva
Hotel Manager
Norwell, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Great hotel, they have recently upgraded the interiors of the lobby and the rooms.

Room Tip: Every room that i have stayed in have been great
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel. We will be looking forward to your next visit. If you need any assistance on your futeure reservation, please feel free to contact me

Ron Silva