“Events Are The Priority Here, Not Guests” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel

Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel
Ranked #92 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
san diego
“Events Are The Priority Here, Not Guests”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

My husband and I travel to LA once a year and always looking for "the hotel", I really wanted this place to be it. Looked good upon check-in, older, little funky- parking was easy.Was told no continenal breakfast disappointed, also thought travel book said rooms had frig and microwave, there weren't any. Funny- moldy, antiseptic smell in our hallway to our room. I could ignore that, if the rest were good. The room was fine, as promsed pool acess. The heated pool was great, the jacuzzi has a warning sign that it will strip your hair color. Couldn't stand the smell, it burned my eyes. Don't think it has to be that harsh, other places manage to tone that down. The walls are very thin, we could hear our neighbors tv. But all of this isn't the worst of it, at 6am on Sat morning we were wakened by noise outside our room, workers were sitting up tables for some event right in front of our pool acess. I called the front desk to ask what was the deal, they denied anything going on out by the pool. I said I see 6 round tables- oh those tables, the front desk said. Oh, tgey offered to move me, I was sick and I was leaving the next day, I wasn't moving. Yes, I could squeeze by the table in a wet bathing suit, but I wouldn't. There were other places to set up the lunch for the group there, why in my pool acess?? I happened to be very sick before their lunch, so I never got a chance to be inconvienced by the people. That said, I had to stay in my room that night, and I was jolted out of sleep at 8pm, by "Karens " dj. I wish I wouldn't have been sick, I would have joined the party. There is an open area and the noise just travels in between the building and bounces around. It was so loud, luckliy, I had ear plugs with me, so I could sleep my sickness away. Never been sick in a hotel room and I had the misfortune to be stuck in my room here. Bottom line at this place, EVENTS COME FIRST. If you've only paid for a room, and are a guest you are out of luck. I really wanted this place to be "IT", my hotel in LA. But I don't think so.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beckiesandiego
Rsilva1965, General Manager at Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you for your thorough review. We appreciate your kind words about our accomodations. While we regret any inconvenience your experience may have caused, we do want you to know that we greatly appreciate our guest guest feedback so that we may constanly improve the quality of the services we provide. Thank you again for your comments and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel.
Ron Silva
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norwell, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Great hotel, they have recently upgraded the interiors of the lobby and the rooms.

Room Tip: Every room that i have stayed in have been great
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel. We will be looking forward to your next visit. If you need any assistance on your futeure reservation, please feel free to contact me

Ron Silva

12825 Ventura Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 91604

SECOND NOTICE

To Whom It May Concern,

I was a guest at your hotel last night, 11/17 for the duration of one night. Long story short, I drove from San Diego for over 2 hours with my 3 year old daughter to surprise my husband for his 40th birthday. His company is located in this area, knowing that many of his colleagues stay at this hotel I booked a room for one night.

At roughly 11pm the nightmare began. The room next to us became increasing loud and obnoxious as the night went on. From loud laughing, yelling and talking to finally sex that became so loud anyone walking by within earshot would have been able to hear it. I called the front desk a total of 3 times starting at 11pm to voice my concerns. I was told they would call the room and “take care of it.”

Working in the hotel industry myself in the past (Westin Hotels) I know the importance of customer satisfaction as the customer is PAYING for a night away to get peace and quiet and most importantly, sleep! Something my family was NOT afforded last night at your establishment.

After 3 phone calls to the front desk I was offered a room change at 1am. Let my say for common sense purposes that option was NOT possible. My 3 year old daughter was finally asleep after all the noise that kept her up. At that point changing rooms would not have been feasible.

I want to be reimbursed for this nightmare of a “trip’ to your hotel. In essence, I paid to be kept up ALL night by ignorant guests at your hotel. What is more disturbing is the lack of pure good judgment on the part of your employees who told me “we will take of it” then the manager “I would like you to calm down” offering me a 25% discount. Given what we put up with last night you people should be reimbursing me IN FULL, so that I don’t feel the need to repeat what happened with your hotel to every single one of my husband business associates. As previously stated, your hotel is where most of them stay when here on business.

I am expecting someone to get back to me regarding this letter ASAP. My sister is a journalist for the local paper and I would not want to have to get the local media involved as it would severely DETER guests from ever staying at your hotel again. My experience and being offered a 25% discount in short, NOT ACCEPTABLE. If I am not reimbursed I have no problem writing to the head of your establishment, the federal trade and better business bureau to ensure this NONSENSE doesn’t happen to the next person. You are definitely not a “quiet legend” as you claim.

Room Tip: ask to be near an empty section where there are no other guests
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank d p

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Spring Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Friday night was awful! Lots of partying everywhere. The noise was incredible. It took 3 calls to the front desk before things quieted down above us. Rooms are old but clean. And although they advertise a free continental breakfast, we were told that was no longer available. We picked this hotel for the convenience, and it is nicely located. However if you plan to be there on a weekend, be advised it is incredibly noisy!

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the pool. It is a big party place on the weekends, and the sound really...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank traveller33119
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hotel is in a nice safe neighbourhoud near the hollywood sign. The hotel itself is not so exclusive. The rooms are a bit old and outdated. The staff seems occupied with all sorts of things and does not have a lot of time to answer questions of the quests (maybe its not their fault, but the management to blaim)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple