“Very Nice Hotel in Downtown LA”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #6 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Phoenix, Arizona
“Very Nice Hotel in Downtown LA”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here on business February 5-7. If you desire to be in downtown LA, this hotel will afford you the modern, highly functional hotel you are looking for, without having to pay super-steep prices for a room. The Omni chain will frequently offer discounts for AAA, AARP, gov't rates, etc., so take advantage of those if you can when reserving online. Moreover, just joining the Omni Select Guest program, which is free, provides you with complimentary internet in your room. There is no reason not to do this. I found the wi-fi to be a dependable service here, just as I had when I stayed at the Omni in Cancun a few months earlier.

By checking in online before your arrival here in downtown LA, you will completely bypass the registration desk. My valet/bellman handed me my room keys as I first entered the lobby and promptly ushered me upstairs; my luggage followed me up the elevator. I was very pleased with my comfortable, clean, modern, attractive guest room. My requests for a high floor with a view overlooking California Plaza were honored, and I found the king bed to be quite comfortable, with several extra pillows.

The "Classic Deluxe" guest room and the bathroom were both sufficiently spacious (384+ sq. ft.) and well-appointed. The bathroom had both a small tub and a shower stall. Both were sparkling clean. There was plenty of hot water and water pressure each morning. The usual assortment of lotions / shampoos / conditioners were there for my use. The in-room safe with programmable lock combination worked perfectly, and it was large enough for my laptop and accessories. Bathrobes, clothing iron and refrigerator were well placed and worked great. The housekeeping service was excellent and also consisted of one or two polite visits to my room each evening to see if I needed anything, such as more ice, etc.

The flat-screen TV worked well. The TV did not have a plethora of stations, but it did have most of the local and national stations/networks. The pay-per-view movie service had some but a limited number of choices. The newspapers I requested for morning delivery when I made the reservation were both placed in the hallway right at my door each morning.

Express check-out is conveniently and efficiently handled. I found the bell staff and the valet staff to be very professional and capable. I had driven my own car to LA and had no qualms at all leaving it with this valet staff. I did feel that the price of $40 per day to park was a tad high, even though I realize this is downtown LA. $20-$30 I wouldn't have even blinked at. I just thought $40 was a little high. But I have zero complaints about the quality of service I received. These guys are good, and they are knowledgeable for providing you with local driving directions, if you ask them. Getting here and getting back onto the LA freeway system are relatively simple if you stay at this hotel. LA's downtown is actually pretty easy to navigate, and it served my business purposes to be here.

The hotel's concierge desk is usually staffed. There were a couple of things I inquired about with which they were not able to assist me, but they were very polite and at least tried. I felt that the hotel's spa was somewhat "hidden" on an upper floor. When I finally located it one evening, I found it to be closed; apparently most of their service is done by appointment only, rather than on a walk-in basis. The staff at the hotel's front desk were always cordial, professional and helpful. Since I was in the hotel during the early portion of a work week, the lounge seemed a little quiet. The place was beautiful, with a nice big-screen TV and a basketball game showing, but no other customers that I saw. The staff on that shift were ready to serve, however. I would imagine that the lounge receives more business later in the week and whenever the hotel is full. It was not full during my stay.

I really loved the hotel's breakfast buffet in the 'Grand Cafe' on the third floor. The buffet opens at 6:30 a.m., and I found it to be a very enjoyable breakfast experience. The price was reasonable -- I tipped well and still got out of there for under $30. The made-to-order omlette was one of the best I have had in years. There are plenty of hot food items, and they change them up from day to day. There are several cereal choices; the milk was cold, and I found the fresh fruit and pastry assortments to be ample. The dining area is large. When I was there, it was fairly quiet, and I could enjoy my morning newspaper. Just outside the Grand Cafe and down the hallway a few feet is a "to-go" coffee and pastry venue, if you don't have time for a sit-down breakfast. The Grand Cafe serves meals throughout the day, but I dined elsewhere for lunches and dinners, so I cannot speak to their menus or services at those times.

In conclusion, I was very satisfied with my stay at the downtown LA Omni. I will stay here again and do recommend you give it a try.

Room Tip: Reserve online and pay close attention to the choices they give you and the questions they ask you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank singapurastan
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. It's wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We will definitely recognize the specific departments you mentioned as well as address the areas of concerns with the appropriate department heads. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I stayed February 2 to 6 at The Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza. I read many of the reviews posted on the Tripadvisor and decided this would be a great hotel choice for our first stay in downtown LA. In the past we stayed in the West Hollywood area and loved the Magic Castle Hotel for friendliness, location and overall retro feel. We were not disappointed in The Omni and my husband stated each day wow you found a great hotel!

Pros: It's all pros!
Beautiful room with a king bed, sofa and chairs. A desk with great fast speed connections for my husband to keep in touch with our company at home in Canada. A previous reviewer recommended joining the Omni Club for extras...great advice! We were able to check-in on line so when we arrived our room keys were waiting. Check out is just as easy!

The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Having a courtesy car that drives hotel guests within 3 miles of the hotel was perfect for a downtown stay...we didn't need to rent a car for this trip. This trip was about exploring downtown and the hotel is in a great location.

The hotel bed was so comfortable and we had no street noise...outstanding in a hotel located downtown in a large city!

Third floor offers a full breakfast restaurant or Starbucks for a quick coffee and morning snack if on the run. We enjoyed the option of both. The hotel's main restaurant looked inviting and on our next visit we will book a dinner and also enjoy the wonderful bar patio!

We will definitely stay at The Omni again....lots more to say but not enough space...a very well kept and clean hotel ...not one negative to say! We visit LA at least 2 to 3 times a year and when downtown this is my new first choice!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Maynards
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay with us! It's wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable vacation. We hope you had a great time exploring downtown, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Omni Plaza hotel this past January for a few days. Immediately we were greeted warmly upon check-in and looked forward to our stay. Our king room faced California Plaza and we enjoyed looking out at the MOCA as well.

The valet attendants were always a pleasure and anytime I had a question for the front desk it was answered quickly and professionally. Being a member of the Omni Select Guest Program is strongly recommended (it's free) and makes for extra touches that are really appreciated during your stay.

Our room was always freshly turned down and smelled great. Every morning we awoke to our complimentary beverage, and even splurged on our last day for a reasonably priced croissant with jam. Beautiful hotel with some greenery nearby as well. It is true that there isn't too much nearby other than the museum and Disney Hall but the dining in the hotel is quite yummy as an alternative to trekking around Los Angeles.

Basically, if you can swing it, stay at this fantastic hotel. You definitely won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank asiae2013
Folsom, CA
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed here to see the opera at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Hotel was reasonably priced, clean, convenient and lovely. Bed, sheets, pillows all very comfortable, staff was very welcoming and friendly. The Dorothy Chandler Pavilion was just a couple of blocks walk away and although the hotel did offer to drive us there and pick us up in their town car without charge, we felt we could handle the 2 blocks ourselves. Highly recommend this hotel. We had absolutely no complaints and I will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MaryFolsom
Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was just a one night stop-over on our way from the UK to San Diego. We loved this hotel. Lovely quiet room with a comfy bed and a great big bathroom. The bar served really good food and the bar tender was friendly and welcoming. There was also a pianist who played 'When Irish Eyes are Smiling' when he heard where we were from!
For a city centre hotel the Omni also had a great outdoor area with seating and heaters.
Not much going on in the immediate locale, i.e. restaurants, bars etc but we would definitely come back next time in LA.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple