“ACE BABY, ACE!”

Ranked #89 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne, Australia
“ACE BABY, ACE!”
Reviewed 21 April 2016

This is my second stay at Ace Downtown LA - my third with Ace Hotels, done NY - and again, all I can say is WOW! The team at this hotel know how to make one feel wanted. They have a very special way of staying completely chilled, while being rather proficient at the same time as they're quite formal. Efficient, with an eye for detail - the detail being 'what I want' aka attentive without being smothering.
My room this time had a great view out over this rapidly changing town, glass and shiny steel behemoths going up at a rate. The room, as always, had that special Ace feel and was supercomfy.
But I need to hark back to the service: The team at Ace LA is amazing, nothing is too hard, nothing seems to take great effort, they made me fell right at home for what was an extended period away from my actual home, THANK YOU ACE LA!! (I miss you already)

Room Tip: For Quiet; request a higher floor... Visit the ROOF ;)
  • Stayed January 2016, travelled on business
Ace_DTLA, Front Office Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 23 April 2016
Oh Michael, you're making us blush! Thanks very much for the kind words - it's rad to hear that someone had as much fun staying here as we have working here. Please drop us a line when you plan on coming back to DTLA so that we can make sure your next visit is even better!

XO,
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 19 April 2016

The Ace is painfully trendy and the place to be for a certain sort of person. We spent a lot on a large room. Check in was painless and pleasant. The room was large and sparse. Furniture is all cheap, almost Ikea like. The turntable and vinyl must be the selling point. No towel racks, so you almost have to throw them on the floor to be replaced which is wasteful. The bed was very comfortable. We were woken up when the bars closed by noisy neighbors but happily the revelry did not last long. Sadly, construction noise, drywall screw guns right outside our window, began before 7:00 AM Saturday morning and did not stop until sometime after we left the hotel. The pool and bar on the roof are great but were closed for a private party on Saturday night. No coffee in the rooms. Well stocked but expensive minibar. Not a good or even fair value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from any construction if you plan to sleep in at all.
  • Stayed April 2016, travelled as a couple
Ace_DTLA, Front Office Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 22 April 2016
Hi Kipp, very sorry that you were disturbed by noise during your stay! Our neighborhood is undergoing a lot of exciting changes, though it does come with growing pains for which I sincerely apologize. If your travels bring you back to Ace then we'd love to arrange a much quieter room and the first round of cocktails at the roof is on us!

Best,
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 31 March 2016

So the hotel itself, staff, etc. was quite nice. The rooms are very interesting, nothing like I have ever stayed in before and everything was nice and clean. The beds are AMAZING, best sleep I've had in a long time. The room was small, even though it was supposed to be a medium. The shower was weird, left the floor wet no matter where you put the towels, but all in all, it was a cool place. Just very different.

Free WIFI was cool. The restaurant was nice and the bar on the roof was fantastic.

The complaint that I have is the valet service. You pay $40 per night, but the drivers are not conscientious at all about the job. They don't wait for you to collect your belongings before they take off like a bat out of hell. One of them actually drove away while we were emptying the trunk, as he drove off the trunk was flapping up and down and he didn't even stop. My concern was, what if we were holding onto the trunk? Someone could have gotten hurt. This was reported to the hotel, but all they really said was, oh, ok, we will alert their manager. $40/night - really? We should be getting something special for that!

• Stayed March 2016, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ShawnnnaLee
Ace_DTLA, Front Office Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 3 April 2016
Hi Ben, thanks for bringing this to our attention! We'll definitely address this with our valet team right away to ensure we're more careful in the future. Please reach out to us in the future if you're in DTLA again so that we can arrange a special (and flawless) stay.

Cheers,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2016

I enjoyed my stay at the Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles. The room was bright, modern, and clean. Everything felt fresh and new. I think I saw a Banksy mural across the street. Plus the neighborhood taco selection was excellent. I would stay here again next time I'm staying downtown.

Stayed July 2015
Hi there, thanks a lot for coming to stay! I couldn't agree more about the neighborhood and the tacos. Looking forward to seeing you back soon!

Best,
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2016

I've never been to LA so wasn't entirely sure where to stay and I can't fault the location of the hotel, or it's set up. The staff were friendly and helpful in every interaction and, the room (although compact) was perfect for a single traveler (the open plan bathroom and shower stall would have made it a little uncomfortable if I had been travelling with a friend), I also loved the little fire escape balcony. Room service in the morning was prompt and the food delicious.

The only negative comment I can make is about the noise... I know that it was from outside so out of the management's control, but I think I only managed about 3 hours sleep. Providing ear plugs was a cute touch, but for someone who doesn't like wearing them, perhaps an investment in double glazing may be more useful?

Stayed March 2016
Hello, thanks for staying with us and for leaving feedback. Glad that you enjoyed your stay (esp. the room service!) and hope you'll keep us in mind for your next trip to DTLA. Though we're excited to welcome our new neighbors across the street - we'll be as relieved as you when the construction finally concludes later this year. Till then we'll be happy to find a quieter room for you on the other side of the hotel.

See ya then!