“Excellent Ambiance and Food”

Maccheroni Republic
Ranked #9 of 11,905 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

While on a business trip I met up with a colleague here. I enjoyed the patio seating and the heaters outside since the temperatures were in the upper 50’s. I had the lasagna which was excellent. I especially enjoyed the tomato sauce they have which is made from scratch. I plan to be back!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Why only so-so? We ordered Pappardelle al Ragu' di Cinghiale (Wild Boar sauce), $20; Spigoli della Nonna al Ragu' (Grandma's Wide-Cut Spaghetti , $15. Both pastas were freshly made and delicious by themselves. But both were swimming in way too much sauce, overly salted. More spigoli and much less sauce would have received a kinder review. A beer was $ 7.50; an iced tea $3 or $4, I can't remember exactly. We would have liked a dessert.All the desserts are $9.45 each. It was my wife's birthday. I asked the waiter if she could receive a complimentary dessert with a candle on it if I purchased a second dessert. The waiter said that he would check. He returned with an apologetic no-can-do. Other than that the atmosphere was pleasant, the service very professional. Still, will we come back? No, we expect more for the prices charged by the Maccheroni Republic.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank 1foodsavant
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Pasta was fantastic and the service was spot on. Not a 5* but pretty close.

Note that you should arrive early to get a reservation. They advise how log your table I’ll be and send you to grab a drink at a local bar and send a text for you to return.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

There are plenty of places to find Italian food in LA but I trusted the reviews and walked from my hotel to this spot. It was busy but no wait around 6:30pm on a Wednesday night. Service was quick and servers seemed to help each other making things go smooth and quick. I ordered the baked gnocchi and it was fresh and very good. Lots of cheese and red sauce had a great flavor. Was not a typical Italian portion that can feed a small family but I was full after by including the free bread to dip in oil and balsamic. Good place. Nice people. Not huge portions. Pricey but it is LA.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 7 March 2018

I went here with a group of four. All of us are from the North East part of the country. Italian food is something that our group is well familiar with. The food here was good and they used fresh ingredients. However, this place would just be another middle of the road Italian restaurant where were from so our perception was influenced by that.
If you like Italian food you'll propably won't be dissapointed with the food here. However, you probably won't be blown away either. In my view, stay away from the Calamari. It seemed previously frozen and was over ccoked.

Date of visit: January 2018