“LA legend for French Dip!”

The Original Philippe
Ranked #28 of 11,727 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: American, Deli, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This restaurant is a classic! A true national treasure in my book. I love the lamb - double dip. Just perfect flavor and texture. The hot mustard is soooo addictive. Wow! Love this for lunch with its generous free parking lot.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,009)

Reviewed 11 September 2018

OK...Lets face it Philippe's is a "Tourist Trap." However it is a VERY GOOD ONE! This is one of these places you see on an old movie and think they don't exist. But they do and this one is that Place! Sawdust on the floor. Coffee is 15 cents! The sandwiches are "Smallish" so if you have an appetite order two. Where else are you going to get a Lamb Sandwich? Here! There is a Litany of deli type favorites so (Heart Patients beware) enjoy within reason. Why not take it to go and go see a Dodger Game? (If in Season) They are right down the road. Oh and by the way China Town is nearby and the LA Grand Train station is across the street which is featured in many movies. Also close by is Alvaro Street where Puebla Los Angeles grew to a city. It's all there...But you must park elsewhere after you eat. Philippe's is a Must See if in Los Angeles!!!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

We knew we would be waiting for a train at Union Station for quite a while and researched and Philippe the Original certainly came up as *the* place we had to try. I must have read close to 300 of the reviews. We wandered in around 11:40 on a Thursday and did not have much of a wait. We both ordered beef, double dipped, with extra au jus on the side. I ordered mine with swiss cheese. The swiss cheese was absolutely tasteless. Seriously - never had cheese with so little taste: if you don't already love this for some reason and and are tempted: don't bother. The meat was tender but on the dry side - very reminiscent of Arby's beef - and definitely needed the au jus. I had to dip mine in the extra with each bite but my husband didn't, so this is personal taste. The mustard surprised me: it is identical to chinese restaurant mustard. My guess is that is what it is, or at least was originally, as Philippe the Original sits on the edge of LA's Chinatown. It is not special: it truly is the standard chinese mustard flavor. Based on all the hype I was expecting something much different and unique. The sandwiches were quite small for $10, though we felt the meal itself was rather cheap. One sandwich each, with shared sides of cole slaw, potato and macaroni salads, was a good snack. The side salads were tasty. The cole slaw serving is very large, but almost exclusively of cabbage alone. Stylistically, the place is as described: old timey with sawdust on the floors and 'family style' shared tables. Over all the sandwiches were tasty but not compelling. We are glad we stopped in but unlikely to return (and we will be back in the area, so this is not theoretical). I guess it's an LA thing. I gave it four stars because I think three indicates too much negativity.

1  Thank darylqu
Reviewed 8 September 2018

The only thing I order is their lamb dip sandwich double-dipped, a side of coleslaw, a sliced pickle and a beer! Have been eating there since I was a kid. Didn't have the beers then. And great sociology every time. People going to the theater or local art event, just across from the train station. I was just there three nights ago before the theater at The Music Center.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

I've been to Philippe's so many times over the last 50 years with my family! It was my mother's favorite place and always has the same delicious food and historical atmosphere, complete with sawdust on the floor and old style telephone booths! You have to stand in line just like a New York deli but it is worth it. Best to bring cash but I think they now have a credit card machine to give you cash too. Step back in time and enjoy~