“Beef”

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Tourist alert (meaning us... plus about half the other people there). This place has been on TV so many times we had to try it. It was good. Sandwiches were good, we got a beef and a lamb, both with cheese. They carve the lamb off a whole leg right there. I thought the lamb was better than the beef, wife liked the beef. We loved the mustard, should have bought a bottle of that to take home. Cole slaw was good. Chilli was a tad thick, but tasty and meaty, no beans but an option for. Drinks are super cheap but small, so wish I would have ordered 2; still would have been cheaper than anywhere else. We had a slice of lemon meringue pie which was fine, classic like mom used to make.

The line was pretty long, took about 20 minutes to get something to eat. We parked in a one hour metered spot a block away and made it back to the car with 2 minutes to spare. I have seen some reviews complaining about the prices and those people are nuts. Prices are great. Our whole lunch was like $27, total bargain as far as I'm concerned. I'll go back if I'm in the neighborhood.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,925)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

One of the must dos when anyone comes to visit, is to take them to Philippe the Original. The sawdust on the floor, the lines that put you inches from folks enjoying their sandwiches. I have yet to have a unsatisfied guest. Double dip your French dips for the best experience. I add blue cheese for a real treat. Love the macaroni salad as well. BRING CASH.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

A great lunch spot. Old style cafeteria but delicious. Watch out for the HOT mustard!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I went here with my brother-in-law before the USC-UCLA game. He had wonderful memories of Phillipes when growing up in LA and attending UCLA, but he had not gone there in over 20 years. He said it was just as good as he remembered it. Nothing had changed. I was very impressed. We had the French Dip Sandwich with potato salad and beer. Outstanding pregame meal! This seems like a great place to go before catching a game at Dodger Stadium or the Coliseum, which are both nearby. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This place has great French Dipped sandwiches. The menu is fun to look at. Everything besides the sandwiches are cheap. Great place to take out of towners.