“Lunch at the Ivy”
Review of The Ivy

The Ivy
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 11,908 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Alden Dr.
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Dined here with my Wife on a gorgeous day in early September 2018. Ample parking across the street for only $9. The complimentary glass of champagne on arrival is a lovely touch, and the food was good. The decor is beautiful, it feels like a country farmhouse and I LOVED all of the multi-colored fresh roses everywhere. The service was impeccable. My only complaint is how close you get seated next to other diners. They really pack you in! My Wife had a cobb salad that was loaded with fresh delicious ingredients, and my lobster ravioli was very nice. The red velvet cake was a bit dry, but the pink cream cheese icing was divine! We also appreciated the free cookies at the end. It was a lovely experience overall.

Date of visit: September 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,945)

Reviewed 7 September 2018

we went here for a silver wedding anniversary meal and found it to be overpriced, cramped and the staff were rude. Ignorant to female clients, only addressing the male in our party. Ignored my daughter completely. Food was average, nothing special to warrant such high prices. Pretty enough with its floral chintz and flowers and fairy lights but my husband and I were elbow to elbow throughout our meal. The waiter even chased us up the road as we decided due to the bad service we would not leave them a tip ! Our bill was over $270 so I felt we'd paid enough. Two nights later we ate pretty much the same food at Chris Ruth's Steak house and spent just $175!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 4 September 2018

We celebrated my niece's graduation with dinner at The Ivy. As we walked in, we were offered champagne as our table was being prepared. The decor was beautiful. We had a prime spot outside. Our waiter was very knowledgable and quick.

Yes, this restaurant is expensive, but we knew that going in. We had some drinks, all very good. We had calamari as an appetizer. I had a tasty steak. Others had pasta and fish dishes. Everyone was very happy with the meal.

Yes, you may spot a celebrity. I ended up in the background of a photo on TMZ, ha!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 31 August 2018

I like to start out positive, so I will say their hallmark, multi colored roses on the tables are beautiful. At first glance, from the street, the place looks adorable. I'd heard wonderful things about this place, and I was very excited when I made a reservation on fairly short notice and was able to get an outdoor table...

Okay, so it's small, not like cutesy small, but you can't move small. People are crammed into uncomfortable little tables which are nearly on top of each other.

The service is terrible and some of the waiters are ignorant and have this air about themselves, as if they are better than their customers and they're doing you a favor to wait on you.. Seriously, I've been to some wonderful places and, typically, servers treat their customers very well... that is not the case here. Our server took orders from people who were seated well after we were, and kept nodding to us as he passed by. I finally asked another server if he could take our order... he was very nice but unfortunately we were stuck with the ignorant one.

The food was just average. It was very overpriced and there was nothing special in the presentation or in the way in which it was cooked. My friend had surf and turf which she said was just okay. I had the crab-cakes... yuck! Actually, I wanted the crab-cake appetizer and asked for such, because I knew it would be enough, and the server really pressured me into the dinner. So I caved and ordered it. I paid over twice as much to get 5, instead of 3, nasty little over cooked crab-cake things, cold potatoes and some terrible tasting white stuff that I's still not sure of what it was.

The management sucked. After dinner I went to the manager and told him we were disappointed in our experience, our meal, and how our server had been very dismissive and had pretty much ignored us most of the time we were there. He too was just plain rude. He acted like this was nothing out of the ordinary and that it was we who were the problem for not being satisfied. I rarely complain about a restaurant, and I don't think I've ever complained about a manager, but my goodness the place is a joke.

This is supposedly a place where the stars hang out... why? I mean they have the money to eat anywhere they'd like, so one would think they'd choose a place that's comfortable and one that serves decent food with friendly servers.

We did see a few faces that were red carpet walkers for off screen accomplishments... again not sure why they'd want to eat there, but other than that no one very note able showed up.

So if you like paying way too much for average food, arrogant waitstaff, and being crammed in to a seat like a sardine just to have a less than minimal chance to see someone who might be someone... well, then you'll probably love the place!

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank KateyOB
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

The Ivy had a good atmosphere. Wasn't too terribly crowded. Food was not what I expected. The price was very high and food was average. You might see some celebrities there, which is cool but probably won't go back.

Date of visit: March 2018