All reviews farmers market street parking european style hotel tar pits no elevator room was large west hollywood boutique hotel mini fridge free breakfast is comfortable beds rodeo drive wi fi clean hotel would definitely stay here again santa monica downtown la
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Everything about the Wilshire Crest is thoroughly pleasant! Unlike most hotel rooms, which are usually long and narrow, these rooms are open and airy, with a refrigerator, table and chairs, two sinks (one in the bathroom and one outside the bathroom), and very comfortable beds with lovely comforters that were the perfect weight. I was glad to see some variety to the continental breakfast: instead of being overly bread-based, they offered cut-up tomatoes and cucumbers and cottage cheese (which I mixed with hard-boiled eggs); fresh-tasting orange juice was served in a pitcher, and the coffee was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful and seemed to take great pride in their establishment. There are plenty of places to sit and chat with others (especially if you're with a group, as we were). The sitting area near the lobby is so pleasant and decorated with beautiful fresh flowers, and there's an outdoor courtyard and a separate patio for shmoozing. The location is unique, too, in a really nice neighborhood that's great for casual walks and within walking distance to shopping, dining, and museums. I'm glad I had the opportunity to stay here!

Room Tip: If you can't, or would rather not, negotiate stairs, ask for a first-floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SusieH_57

Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for your great review of the Wilshire Crest Hotel. You semed to have enjoyed so many things that we offer including our large clean rooms, friendly staff, excellent location and our breakfast.We look forward to seeing you on your future visits to Los Angeles.

Aaron Tomaszewski

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We booked to stay at the Wilshire Crest in April 2012 for 6 nights.

We needed somewhere that was a moderate price and in a decent location with good parking facilities for our hire car.

We chose the Wilshire Crest Hotel because we thought it was all those things (apart from the parking), we didn't exactly think we'd be staying at the Ritz but we expected a bit of a higher standard of hotel for the money we paid than we ultimate got at the Wilshere Crest Hotel.

On first appearances the hotel looks decent enough, tucked away into a residential suburb near the Wilshire Boulevard and The Grove Shopping Centre.

But as soon as we got there I knew even my modest hopes of getting a semi-decent hotel for our stay in LA was dashed.

The hotel itself looks very nice from the outside but once you get in the whole hotel feels a bit rundown. The stairs upto the First Floor are a bit rickety and old with a very badly sun-damaged carpet.

The corridoor where the rooms are isn't that bad but is depressingly bland.

Then the rooms themselves, where do I start?

The walls are pretty thin, so you could hear things that maybe you didn't want to hear going on in the adjacent rooms. They're poorly lit and look like a depressing Motel room out of a movie, the sheets were adorned with numerous stains and cigarette burns which complimented the numerous stains on the walls and curtains.

When we first went into the room there was hair in the Sink, and the toilet roll holder/soap holder in the bath/shower unit was rusty. This once again complimented the creaky taps and the small toilet in the tiny bathroom that the hotel supplied.

Then we get to the breakfast. It was a travesty, It is a buffet where you're left to yourself to take as many Bagels/pastries as you want. It basically consisted of Bagels, cereal, tea/coffee, milk, some danish pastries and cake. Then there was this salad stuff that I saw no-one eat on my stay to compliment to 'delicious' bagels and pastries.

I'm not 100% but pretty sure that they didn't put out fresh pastries/cakes every day and that the salad stuff was left out overnight. On more than 1 occasion I bit into a pastry and it was rock solid. and that's pretty much it, if you don't like Bagels or get fed up with having them everyday then it is terrible.

As for drinks you get orange juice, milk, tea or coffee and that's about it, all served in polystyrene cups.

The two plus points of the hotel were the parking permit you get which enables you to park anywhere in the adjacent roads aslong as you display the permit on your rear-view mirror. We had no problem parking the car and found the fact we didn't have to pay for parking, and the area to park the car is a very safe residential neighbourhood where you didn't have to worry about leaving your car overnight.

And the other was the Television, you get a very extensive Time Warner Cable TV box that includes all the LA sports teams, films, news channels etc. you could ever want.

So to summarise. We made a huge mistake by staying here, and I can confidently say that if we go to LA again we definitely won't be staying at the Wilshire Crest Hotel.

Spend the Extra $$$ and stay at a much better hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Saints_B

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize if your were disappointed with your stay. I thank you for pointing out the bathroom holders and I will inform you that we are in the processs of replacing them. In terms of the carpet and drapes, I will have to investigate these issues because they were both replaced within the last year and half. I would just liek to add that I wish you would have mentioned something earlier in your stay. We could have resolved some thing prior to you staying all 6 nights.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Everything about the Wilshire Crest is average. Average price, average room, average service. If you're looking for an average experience this is the place for you. A few caveats: some of the rooms can be noisy due to air conditioning equipment. There is no elevator but if you can handle a short flight of stairs request a room on the second floor to avoid this problem. The breakfast room is really awful. The selection of food is dismal, the lack of utensils to pick up the food is a little off putting and the noise level is deafening (I was with a quiet family group in town for a Bat Mitzva. Another loud family group was staying there for the same reason. Trust me- this place is too small for two Bat Mitzva groups. Worst problem is parking:there is none. Instead you are given a city parking pass which allows you up park on the residential streets around the area the hotel is located in. Unfortunately there are a lot of resident in this residential area and parking was ALWAYS difficult at the Wilshire Crest.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank plaidandstripe

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. In terms of the noise of the other party, we try to create an atmosphere that will allow all of our guests to be as comfortable as possible. Unfotunately, sometimes people especially when its a larger group do get somewhat noisy and can disturb others. However, there is little we can do other than ask them to keep their volume down to the point where it does not disturb others. We hope you consider staying with us on your next visit to Los Angeles.

Aaron Tomaszewski

Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed five nights using two rooms and we had four young children. The hotel was great, large rooms, good breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. No problems with parking which is free on the street. And we had a wonderful Shabbat, going to a friendly shul in the neighborhood and the hotel set up a place for our Shabbat meals in the dining room and provided plenty of refrigerator space and a food warmer. There are plenty of kosher markets and restaurants a short drive away. We couldn't have been more pleased. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ABG2012
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I really enjoyed my 3 night stay at the Wilshire Crest Hotel.This small, independent hotel has a european flair and a great, friendly staff. My room on the second floor rear was surprisingly large, tastefully decorated and very clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable and had soft and firm pillows. Internet was free and fast, and the large screen TV worked well. The fully tiled bath was also very clean. Breakfast was simple continental, with cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and lots of great pastries and breads. The location was great for me, as the Los Angeles Co. Museum of Art and the Page Museum/Tar Pits were within moderate walking distance. Access to the rest of the city is easy with main streets nearby. As others have mentioned, parking is a concern. I stayed during the middle of the week and was always able to find a spot on Orange St. during the day. You receive a parking permit as soon as you arrive and the staff will gladly tell you all about the parking restrictions. These are very important to follow, as parking enforcement comes by everyday and fines are steep [as are tow charges]. Monday and Tuesday are street cleaning days and these affect where you can park on those days. I have already recommended the Wilshire Crest to friends and family and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms away from the busy main street are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo