Price with the rule "you get what you pay for" in mind; free parking; in town location. This hotel is 40-50s and hasn't seen an infrastructure repair or upgrade since new except for the door card lock. Examples: electrical outlet dangled from the wall; no commode tank top or counter top in bathroom for stuff; tub so old bottom worn thru to core. The building is two story with steep stairs - no elevator. Bottom line: overdue for overhaul ceiling to floor. In any city except Los Angeles, rooms would be $30 a night or less, get a sub par rating or perhaps be out of biz due to failed city inspections. The in-town location is great but it comes with caveats - the office is kept locked at all times and check in procedure requires a copy of drivers license to be kept in the office for police access, according to staff. That was a first for me & I travel a lot. Contrary to other reviews, I found the front desk female both friendly when conversation was the extent of her required involvement and resistant when I required actual assistance. Her unprofessional behavior went far beyond not having a good day. Breakfast was on par with chains offering free food. All that said, if you view the hotel only as a place to drop your bags, sleep and go, the three reasons to stay will work fine; just arrive with expectations in check. I didn't and was stunned. The web pictures gave the impression of quaint. Not so. It's merely old and rundown.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hollywood Downtowner Inn is truly the "Chev Vous at the Walkway of the Stars" located minutes from Universal, Paramount, Nickelodeon and Gower studios, Kodak, Mann's Chinese, Egyption, Arclight, El Capitan, Greek, Pantages Theaters. Griffith park with in walking and a great hike to the observatory. Rooms featuring king or two double beds and some efficiency suites as well. Pool and hot breakfast each morning before you get on the various tours that can be arrranged to all attractions and star homes. There is complimentary parking, WiFi, HBO/Cable TV, refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer, iron with board and in-room coffee in all rooms and suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, lastminute.com.au, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hollywood Downtowner Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hollywood Downtowner Hotel Los Angeles
- Hollywood Downtowner Motel