“Fabulous Location!”

Ranked #6 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Portland OR
“Fabulous Location!”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Great location for activities/events at the Staple Center.

The lobby area is a bit lacking in space however; and getting to the roof top deck is an 'elevator adventure'. The spa is lovely, and the service is at the Ritz Carlton level of exceptional.

The bathroom sink is not ideal - there is a lot of water splashing from the way it's set-up.

Room Tip: Avoid the floor with Wolfgang Pucks restaurant, it requires an additional set of doors to get to you...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Upon entering the hotel to check-in, you will notice that the lobby is almost nonexistent. There are two chairs, a concierge desk and the two person check-in desk. There was no champagne or pampered atmosphere as stated in other reviews. I was greeted by a front desk person who explained that my room was not ready, which I understood, as I was there at 10:00 am, however he was not at all accommodating. He asked for my method of payment, even though he was not checking me in (strange), and seemed inconvenienced when I asked to have my bags checked. I asked at that time if it was possible to get a pass to the concierge lounge, he corrected me by saying "We don't have a concierge lounge at the Ritz - we do however have a Club Room which you can be upgraded to when you check in". I found this to be very condescending and arrogant. It may be that I was dressed in workout gear as I was in town for a Fitness Convention, and that may have not fit in with the "LA Ritz" requirements. I often stay at 5-star hotels, and have never been treated so poorly. At that time, I asked that they call me when a room was available and left my phone number. He stated that they would put a rush on the room for me, which made me feel a little better.

After checking my bags, I realized that I left my convention badge in my backpack, so I want back 5 minutes later and asked if they could grab my backpack so that I could get my badge out. The front desk person informed me that I would have to wait for the bellman to come up to the front to get it. When he checked my bag, the bellman did not check it, the front desk person did, and I assisted him with bringing it to the room directly behind the desk. There was no one in the lobby, so I asked if he could just grab my one small backpack, and he begrudgingly completed the task, which took less than 30-seconds. I thanked him and remedied him to let me know as soon as a room was available.

I waited for a call to confirm my room was ready for 5 hours, and never received a call. So much for rushing the room for me. Either way, when I checked in, I was greeted by a more pleasant front desk person, who apologized for not calling me when my room was ready and proceeded to check me in. Again, he asked for my method of payment, and I informed him that I had already provided it. He apologized and said that it was not put into the system and that he had to take it again, making me wonder why the first person needed it. Check in went well (still no champagne), and I went to my room.

The room was very well appointed, modern and clean. It was a fantastic room overlooking the swimming pool. This is what I was expecting from the Ritz! I have no complaints about the room at all. The walk-in shower, the amazingly comfortable bed, etc. all were up to 5-start standards!

My group of 7 had dinner that night at Wolfgang Puck's 24, in the Hotel, which was amazing. The food was delicious, the service was impeccable and the view was beautiful. We secured a very private table, and enjoyed an amazing dinning experience.

Upon getting ready to check-out, I called down to ask if transport was available to the hotel, and informed them that I needed a car for 6. They said no problem, just come down to the concierge and she will take care of it. When I came down, the concierge told me that it would be 45 minutes to get a limo. I told her that I would just call the Limo that I took in from the Airport as it was only $110 and they said they could pick me up with less than 30-minutes notice. She then told me that they had an Escalade available immediately and that it could easily take 6. I wound up waiting for 20 minutes for the Escalade, which did work fine for our group. When the driver dropped me off at the airport, I gave him my card to charge the ride on, and he stated that it was billed to my room. I asked if he knew what the rate was and he stated that he did not. To my surprise, I found that they charged my room $190 for the ride. $80 more than the limo I was going to get. I have no problem paying the expected amount for service, but I felt that this was very deceptive and the price should have been stated in advance, especially when I told her the rate we paid coming in.

I feel that this Ritz is pretentious, and the service is not up to the standards set by the Ritz or other 5-star hotels.

Room Tip: Stay at the JW Marriott which is attached to the hotel, has a much more vibrant lobby, and has a muc...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dubai
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Great hotel, good location next to staples centre, Good rooms, Cant fault it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed 14 February 2012

One wonders: this hotel property is so connected with the GW Marriott, and with the GW Marriott being the Marriott name's top-of-the-line, why not just stay at the GW Marriott and pocket the difference? If you only travel with tall dogs, and it is important to you to run with the glitterati, then being at the Ritz Carlton Los Angeles will do it for you. Typically efficient, the front desk people are helpful and wonderful. The location of this property is spectacular. Very clean. The exercise room is also top-rate, and check out the pool on the roof top. Amazing. I would go back there any time.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room, as some of them can be noisy. If you order breakfast in-room, know...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank fidelrobert
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My 2-day weekend stay at the Ritz-Carlton LA could not have been better! The attention to detail was exactly what one expects from a 5-star hotel. From the glass of champagne at check-in, I was pampered and treated with the utmost care.

I stayed on Floor #23, which was the Club Floor. The Club Room offers up sumptuous edibles all day, from a breakfast which included eggs and bacon, fruit, and every muffin and bakery item imaginable, to a lite supper which included meats, fish and poultry, as well as sides and salads. And don't pass up the fabulous selection of cookies and meringues on your way out the main Club entrance! Whenever I entered the Club Room, I was personally greeted, sometimes by name. I enjoyed taking most of my meals there, as well as popping in to grab a diet Coke or water, or to use one of the two computers located in an alcove.

My room was not spacious, but the amenities made up for that. It included a 42" flat screen TV, ipod docking station, and other stereo components which I did not use; high-speed internet is offered for a fee. There were the obligatory self-serve mini-bar and refrigerator, as well as complimentary water, and coffee/espresso. The bathrooms were lovely, with walk-in shower, huge tub, and a TV screen built in to the mirror. The king-size bed and linens were exactly what one would expect at this hotel - luxurious, satiny and soooo comfortable. The only thing the room lacked was a larger closet; it accomodated my needs, as I was traveling solo. But it would have been cramped for two people.

I spent Saturday morning at the 2nd floor spa, where I received the same personal greeting and attention to detail. I scheduled a lovely facial from Daniella, and a manicure/pedicure from Lillybeth, who was so funny and gracious. The spa is dressed all in white, with private rooms for each service offered. I left feeling really pampered!

The lay-out of the Ritz-Carlton LA is a little different from most 5-star hotels. To start, it shares a high-rise with the Los Angeles Marriott, which takes up the first 20 or so floors. The hotel portion of the Ritz is on floors (approximately) 22-26, with the Ritz Carlton condominiums in the floors above that. Of course, you use high-speed elevators which take you directly to the Ritz-Carlton rooms from the small lobby. From the lobby you can walk through a corridor to the Marriott, which boasts a HUGE lobby area with an array of restaurants and bars. The entire Ritz/Marriott building is located directly across from Staples Stadium, the LA Convention Center, and the Nokia theatre.

One other nice amenity is that the hotel has a Club Car for use by its patrons, free of charge. It will take you anywhere within a (I think) 5-mile radius of the hotel, first-come first-served.

The resident restaurant for the hotel is WP24 (a Wolfgang Puck offering), which serves Asian-inspired cuisine. Additionally, there are restaurants of every offering and for every budget within walking distance of the hotel. There is also a 14-theater cinema complex directly across the street.

My reason for staying at the Ritz was because I was attending 3 concerts in downtown LA (I'm a musician and Gustavo Dudamel enthusiast!). The Ritz location was perfect for my needs, and the ambiance was just right for a woman traveling solo. I will definitely be going again soon!

Room Tip: Room facing North have a view of the Hollywood Sign and Griffith Observatory.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
#7 of 350 in Los Angeles
Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Luxe City Center Hotel
Luxe City Center Hotel
#43 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!