“Centrally located hotel geared for the Korean traveller”

Garden Suites Hotel & Resort
Ranked #198 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bay City, Michigan
“Centrally located hotel geared for the Korean traveller”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed here for a week while attending a conference on Korean culture and history at the Korean Cultural Center, located a bit further along down Wilshire. This hotel is Korean owned and obviously caters to Korean travelers. While I am all about multiculturalism, it was a bit bothersome when signs in the elevators and in the room were only in Korean. My experience at the front desk was that their knowledge of English was limited. The staff there very friendly, though, and professional.

The room I was in was incredibly small and spartan. With the king-sized bed in the room, there was only a small border around the room in which to move. There was no ironing board or iron in the room, which for a cross-country traveller was a bit disappointing. However, there wasn't room to open one up anyway! There was a small writing desk wedged into the corner, but there was barely room to pull out the chair. I do really appreciate the complementary wi-fi access in the room. (You do need an access code from the front desk.) I also appreciated the mini-fridge in the room. My room looked across to the other wing of the hotel, so I didn't really feel a sense of privacy with the curtains opened, so I kept them closed most of the time I was in the room.
The room was always thoroughly cleaned each day by the cleaning staff, something that I truly appreciate. The carpet in the hallway was very worn and needs to be replaced.
Overall, if you're staying in Koreatown, this hotel is in a very central location, conveniently located next to the Wilshire/Western Metro Stop. Drawbacks include the lack of amenities in the room (I almost forgot there was no coffee maker in the room), no fitness centre or pool and the lack of English signage. Would I stay here again? Maybe. I do not know how much it costs per night, as this was paid by someone else.

Room Tip: I would request an exterior facing room in order to avoid looking at the guests across the courtyard...