Review Highlights
Wonderful way to spend a day in Los Angeles

On Saturday 12/8/18 my husband, in-laws, and myself took Laura's tour of West Hollywood and Beverly... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
rdinlosangeles
LA architecture

I spent 2 plus enjoyable hours with Laura viewing historically significant downtown buildings with... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
michaelilarch
via mobile

All reviews silver lake frank lloyd wright laura massino west hollywood beverly hills mid century downtown tour architectural tour hancock park miracle mile historical context comfortable van better understanding great tour hollyhock house tour van downtown la la history
Reviewed 30 March 2018

I met Laura a few years prior at one of my Eichler open houses (which goes to show you - she likes to do her research) and she had mentioned that she does architectural tours in Los Angeles. I've always wanted to do the tourist thing but living in LA at the time, I always put it off. Now that I'm predominately in Canada now, my last trip to LA I made sure to contact her to book a tour and that was one of the best decisions I made that weekend. Not only did I see another side of LA that I haven't experienced before, but were lucky enough to meet and view Dion Neutra's (son of Richard Neutra) house. I learned so much on that tour and I definitely plan on checking out the tours she offers. Thanks so much Laura!! Until next time!

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I'm an art/architectural historian, and Laura Massino Smith really impressed me--as well as my husband and son! We booked the longer Frank Lloyd Wright tour as well as the mid-century modern houses of Silver Lake for a second tour a few days later. Both tours are really intelligently structured. For example, the FLW tour began with a killer house, the Barnsdall, then alternated between smaller gems by FLW and his son, and more killer houses. It ended with the Ennis House, where many establishing shots for movies like "Blade Runner" were shot (a testimonial to FLW's modernist concrete designs so advanced they could look like much later in the future!). We finished the day with a tour of the interior of the Barnsdall House, which is owned by the city. What impressed all of us was how the tour built up the drama of FLW's work; Laura also schedules proper restroom and lunch stops. Her humor and information abided while driving a complex itinerary with calm and aplomb.
Our second tour, of mid-century modern houses of Silver Lake, ranged across a broader spectrum of design yet was also related to FLW's work in interesting ways, both in design and history. Laura navigated the somewhat terrifying precipices of Silver Lake's tiny streets again with calm. Two guests from Australia were on this tour with us, and they seemed amazed by what Laura presented (we knew already how good she was!).
We look forward to our next trip here to visit our son to enjoy more of Laura's tours. She does a great job, reaching both those in the field and those for whom architectural observation is new. Highly highly recommended!

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Laura is a highly knowledgable architectural historian whose various tours
(four so far and counting) are informative and fun. The depth of her research
is impressive and we can't recommend Laura highly enough.

1  Thank cfr10021
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We came upon this one-woman tour company years ago in the Triple A book of all places. We took one tour by Laura Massino in her spacious air conditioned van and never stopped. We’re from the east coast but family brings us to LA a couple times a year. We invariably book at least one tour of the many offered on each visit. And yes that means we do repeats. That’s how much we enjoy the tours. Laura knows LA and now because of her, so do we! In addition to orienting you to its vast and varied architectural wonders, she’ll regale you with tales of the famous personalities involved, from architects like Frank Gehry to denizens of famous buildings like Charlie Chaplin. Los Angeles is a fabulous city, stretching for miles from the mountains to the sea. Let Laura open up the many worlds that comprise the city. Prepare to be amazed.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We did the LA Downtown Tour and the West Hollywood/Beverly Hills tour. Both were fantastic and provided great insights into both regions. Laura knows her topics and communicates information in a clear way. We loved the tours and highly recommend them to anyone wanting more depth in understanding these locations.