Shelter Hotels Los Angeles
Ranked #153 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed one night at the hotel. The ceiling of the parking was not that high and our Jeep with the storage on top nearly didn't get in. The room was spacious and clean and the cable internet connection was great. Coffee is provided in the room. We were told that there would be coffee and donuts at the reception in the morning, so I didn't bother to make my coffee in the room. But when I got there, there was no coffee. I asked if there was coffee, and the dude just said no, and that was that. I thought he could've been more helpful. In general, it seems that they are still working things out as the construction is going on. For the price, it's ok.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imawhiz
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

I'm truly sorry to hear about the coffee situation. Coffee is something that is available every day and we should have made a fresh pot for you if we had run out.

Reviewed 16 July 2010

I'm a native Angeleno that recently moved out of state - but love any excuse to get back "home". I had been at a conference in LA earlier in the week - and decided to expend my trip by four additional days to catch up with friends and basically hang out. I've stayed at a number of different budget boutique hotel/motels over the past few years - and try to find a decent place that is around 100 per night or less. I booked my room through their website - and got an introductory price of around 70.00 per night, I think because they're still working on renovating parts of the property, like the pool.

When I arrived, they graciously allowed me to check in early - as I had just checked out of my conference hotel downtown. The front desk person gave me the scoop on how their FREE parking worked - first come first served - if you block somebody in you have to leave your keys at the front desk - you need to call the front desk to be buzzed in after mid-night. The neighborhood is residential - but not great to walk around at night by yourself. A number of pretty aggressive panhandlers around bumming change when you get closer to the stores and shops in the area - but not near the hotel. (Some of the beautiful churches on Wilshire Blvd are good samaritanas and run food / shower programs for the homeless). That said - there are some great Korean BBQ / Pho places in the 'hood!

My room was just like what was pictured on their website (and here on Tripadvisor). Modern, sleek and roomy! The bed was clean and comfy - but my room had some weird staining on the walls underneath the window - as if there had been a leak. Due to this the room smelled a little musty. When I opened the windows I noticed one window had a screen, the other one didn't. I was on the top floor - so I didn't worry about it.

The bathroom was modern and sleek as well - but not as clean as I had hoped. When I got the shower curtain wet - it smelled like mildew and had orangey rust/mildew stains on it. A little bleach should take care of that - but something the management should keep an eye out for.

The only weird thing was one afternoon I was just kicking it in my room - enjoying their FREE internet (which was great) - and suddenly, with no warning one of the workmen in the hotel opened my door to change the door latch plate on the doorjamb. No knocking or anything! Lucky I was alone! And clothed!

Check out was smooth - no problems, except that was when I found out about the complimentary breakfast! No one had mentioned it when I checked in :( Overall an OK stay - but I wouldn't stay here if the price were any higher...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank vinividivori

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience overall. We have made the adjustments to the window in the room as well as repainted. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed 26 June 2010

We had two pleasant nites at the Shelter Hotel, LA.
It's location is just about midway between downtown LA and West Beverly hills, so ideal as a base loction for travelling to either.
Alex was on duty when we arrived and he was very welcoming, polite and helpfull suggested a number of restaurants and bars for us to check out in downtown LA and West Beverly Hills.
The decor of our room was very modern, clean, chic and surprisingly spacious. Comfortable and equipped well for the price you pay for the room.
If you are the sort of traveller that just wants a comfortable affordable room in a good location but prefer to eat out (breakfast, lunch dinner etc) then this hotel is for you.

Rather ingeniously, every morning there is a selection of doughnuts and fresh coffee at the reception, but get up early to avoid the sugar rush! We missed out on the first day so the following morning Jason reserve the remaining 4 for us! Yay!!

It does not have a restaurant or any of the other gimmicks that other hotels might have but, it doesn't pretend to be anything more and this is reflected in the price and it has free sheltered parking (no pun intended). We really enjoyed our stay and I must say that the manager, Jason, was very knowlegable on the area of LA and extremely helpful. Thanks for the suggestion of the Griffith Observatory Jason!

We would just like to say thanks to both Jason and Alex for their hospitality. The Shelter Hotel LA certainly gets our thumbs up and we would certainly recommend it.
Josh and Elena Mwatsama

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMwatsama

Thank you very much. The doughnuts seem to be a hot item. it makes me glad to hear the great comments regarding our team here.

Reviewed 11 June 2010

I flew to LA on the 2nd June 2010. I was only staying one night in LA but wanted something close to Hollywood so that I could see some of the sights in the limited time I had. I collected my hire car from Dollar and it was only a 15 minute drive to the hotel. The free parking was under the hotel which seemed very secure. The check in was fast and straight forward as I have booked online before hand. The hallways were clean and smoke free. The room itself was huge, measuring around 17' x 17' with a newly fitted bathroom. The bath was a good size and the shower had a very good pressure.

The location is residential and very close to Korea Town. Plenty of local shops and food outlets. I didn't see any signs of trouble or any people hanging around. I also drove from the hotel to Hollywood and it took around 15 mins (this was around 8pm) so the traffic may be worse during the day.

Overall I can't fault the hotel. Good location, great price, great room. Will definitely return on my next visit to LA.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 May 2010

Rough start, smooth finish, some bumps after visit. Send me a message if you need details.

Room and bed were big. Bathroom was good size and clean. Seemed like a quiet residential neighborhood. Free parking. Overall good value.

However, only Jason the manager seemed like he actually had hospitality experience and knew what he was doing. It felt like he spent a lot of time cleaning the messes of his staff. They seemed like temps. I have to give Jason credit for keeping it together.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nyctravelguy777
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2010

I'm glad to hear that all ended up well. I apologize for any inconveniences that you may have had. I have also let the staff know of the overall concern and we are actively working on it. I would like the oppurtunity to speak with you regarding your stay however due to the anonymous nature of this site I am not able to contact you. Please feel free to give me a call or an email.