All reviews hardwood floors double park and leave hotel has free parking wilshire blvd close to downtown king bed ice machine stayed nights would definitely stay here again universal studios koreatown neighborhood garage hollywood uber
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel during an event weekend (NBA All Star) and cound't have asked for a better location. The hotel was located just outside of downtown in Korea town in a friendly residential neighborhood. If you are looking for 5 star amenities, don't stay here. But if you are looking for a recently updated, clean, hotel with free parking and close to downtown, I would highly reccomend the hotel. Centrally located, we were able to get to several areas of LA with little to no fuss even during the event weekend. Close to Beverly Center, Staples Center, Downtown LA, and only minutes from Hollywood. Now has become one of my favorite Boutique hotels...Will stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2011

Thank you for staying with us. It's fantastic to know that you had a great stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 February 2011

I have had a chance to look over a few of the reviews. I want to start out my review by saying that I travel quite a bit to Los Angeles. I almost always stay at the same 2 properties in West Hollywood. I happened to be joy riding one day and I wound up running into The Shelter Hotel. I have to argue that although the hotel is listed as being in "Koreatown" in my opinion it is not in the heart of this section. In fact, it is heading to the West Hollywood border. Nevertheless, I saw the hotel and thought it maybe a condominium. In fact, there were several condominiums and nice homes in the area. The neighborhood is VERY safe. In fact, I am surprised at some of the comments. The hotel is in a very eclectic and nice residential neighborhood. You do see a lot of Korean restaurant and shops. Is this why people say these things? To be honest, I thought I had cancelled my reservation. I called and spoke to Jason the GM and I was stunned to find out, I still had a reservation in the system.

Jason, went over and beyond helping me. I felt very comfortable speaking to him. I also enjoyed working with Steve, one of the nicest front desk reps that you ever want to meet. I have to say that the rooms are so spacious, especially for the price. I felt like I was in an apartment. My best friend Tawanna adored the property too. The rooms were gorgeous. Simple, and clean. The bathroom was very nice. I loved the hard wood floors. I am not a fan of carpet (especially since I have bad allergies) so walking into a room with gorgeous dark wood floors, was truly a BONUS! There was not ONE moment that I did not feel safe in this neighborhood. The staff provided one-on-one service, and I realized how important that was to me. I am a big fan of customer service and you cannot always receive that at the larger hotels. It felt awesome not being 'just a number'.

One of the other things I loved, was the outer decor of the hotel. I love the brownstone effect and the pink crest logo on the building. It was this that caught my eye, on my joy ride that day. I loved the coziness, warmth and relaxing components that the Shelter Hotel provides.

I do not have one bad thing to say about the Shelter Hotel. In fact, I found a place to get my nails done. Went food shopping for a few items. All in the same neighborhood. Now, it may not have anything you can walk to, but I had a rental car, and would rather drive where I need to go.

The parking garage was fine. I do not know many places you can go to where parking is complimentary. The parking garage is very secure. There were BMWs, Mercedez Benz's, Infiniti's and many other cars in the garage. Economy, Mid Size and Luxury. SUVs also. There is a gate after a certain time of night that closes so no one can enter the parking garage that should not be there.

I only have small recommendations: It would be great to have a cocktail hour offered at the Shelter Hotel. Add a DJ for that daily cocktail hour (offering five or six specialty cocktails) would add to this hip spot! It would also be nice to have a breakfast cafe where guests can pay for french pastries and other hot breakfast foods. I know that the hotel is decorating the rooms more... the rooms look great, but it would be nice to see that same brown background and pink crest logo on a bathroom carpet (smile). Maybe a small spa and a swimming pool (lap pool).

I would give the Shelter Hotel a standing ovation! I can tell you that anytime I visit LA, I will not stay anywhere else but @ the Shelter.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

You are fantastic. Thank you so much.

Reviewed 22 February 2011

My best friend and I stayed at The Shelter on February 17-February 21, 2011 and I am not too sure where others who have reviewed this hotel has stayed. I have stayed in various hotels over the years some big and some small and I have found that the "boutique hotels" are the ones that treat you like a person as oppose to what you paid for a room/suite. The personal and friendly service we received was unbelievable. Jason Scharlau, the general manager was much more then that, he made you feel like you were family. I have never met him before our stay but you would have thought I was a regular visitor, even maybe a resident, which is not something you'd find in a larger establishment. Great customer service is one of the things I know I look for when I travel because it makes you feel like it was worth the money, no matter the amount and I will say that the rates were exceptional and completed complimented the service. Steve rocked with the quick draw on the direction requests, along with anything locally you needed to find! This is definitely a spot on the come up and I know my best friend and I will go along for the ride, because we can not wait to see what they do next to try to top their exceptional service!!!! The location is very city which is great if you want to walk and get to things, which being from a big city myself, was another great highlight! Centrally located to everything. I was very pleased with my stay at The Shelter and will do it again anytime I'm in the Los Angeles area, which may be sooner then I think!!!!! :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for the great review. We can't wait to have you back again.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

First off this Hotel is under constant renovation. None of the rooms appear completed. Neighbour hood is not great in that nothing is in walking distance, bad considering the poor parking conditions. When arrived given a room in which a guest was still checked in, lucky thing they were not in the room when we walked in and found their luggage. The check in is from the incomplete second floor still under renovation, a strange feeling as you go up from the ground floor parking garage to check in in an under construction second floor room off the extremely loud and obnoxious elevator. When we were moved to another room, the room looks incomplete, nice wood floor was not properly cleaned, which was told was consistent with another room when speaking to another guest. As a matter of fact it's a shame that the entire room was so poorly maintained and cleaned, nothing looked dusted. Dust from construction ? I don't know but it's not good. Some of the renovation has potential but right now, it's not worth the slightly lower price. No place in the room to hang any clothes either. And then there is the garage, no where to park on the street and not enough spots to park all the cars, so you have to double park, and leave your keys at the desk and trust the crew to move around cars all morning to get people back out of the garage. Sure it's free parking, a revelation in LA, but now you know why, seems like a huge risk for the hotel to be driving these cars around without any written agreement declaring who is responsible for what. Otherwise, the room was fine. If you are willing it put up with the parking, the oddity of the front desk situation, and the cleaning style of the the rooms, it may be worth the decent rates, they offer at this point for this area. It does feel odd staying there though. Oh and no ice machine or for that matter any machines. No frig in room to make up for this either.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Thank you for your words. Clearly, we did not meet expectations and I am truly sorry for that. I am actively working with the staff to make sure that the cleanliness issues that you had, will not happen in the future. Construction does lead to dust, however it also means we need to step it up that much more.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night. We chose this hotel for the price and the location. We enjoyed our short stay there. The guys at the front desk were very friendly and easygoing.

This hotel was an old apartment building at one time, so it's surrounded by apartments. The parking was free and simple, so that was great. Inside the room, everything was clean, simple, and roomy. I only have a couple of suggestions for inside the room and I wanted a comment card but was directed here. I think that they should use shower liners in the shower because our bathroom only had a curtain and if you leave the curtain out of the tub then you end up with water on the floor but if you put it inside the tub, it soaks the curtain. Another suggestion would be to have a second mirror above the desk or somewhere on the wall. Our room only had one above the sink. Having another mirror just makes sense so you don't have two people trying to get ready in the same mirror. Another suggestion (but not necessary), maybe just to add to the decor, some night stands or maybe an accent chair would be nice. The room was so roomy, so it wouldn't cause it to be cramped.

From what I understand, it's a fairly new ownership and they are doing some renovations/additions which I think will be really nice when finished. However, we woke up to pounding from the construction workers downstairs. But it's understandable, they are renovating. This wasn't too big of a deal to keep us from coming back if we are in the area again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I look forward to seeing you again. We will hopefully have the mirrors up by then.