1,970 results
All reviews rooftop pool w insider bliss spa bliss products chris nelson marvelous suite pantages theater pool party living room lobby bar metro stop valet parking chinese theatre valet service beverly hills universal studios hollywood
Reviewed 21 September 2016

We were very excited prior to our visit. We loved the modern, Ibiza style images on the website and purchased an expensive room for our 4 day staff. The overall experience was "ok" ... not worth the room rate. Very small rooms. Be careful also with the chargeable extras from USD 15 daily room wifi (free in most hotels for the last 10 years)... even the wifi is slow and unreliable. Great location of you are after Hollywood Blvd stuff... but be careful of the dodgy local area. Next time I will stay in West Hollywood.

Room tip: spend the maximum if you can - we were offered an "upgrade" for an addit USD 250!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2016

Before this stay, I read a lot of previous Tripadvisor reviews. Some were positive, some negative. After staying there I now believe most of the comments were true. It is up to you to decide what is right for your personal taste.

The hotel is located in a central busy area of Hollywood. The common areas are often crowded and noisy. I would describe the style of the hotel as trendy. It is a place for gathering, people watching and being seen. There is lots of energy, sometimes to a frenzy.

We arrived at 11am, a bit early and our rooms were not ready. I am an SPG Gold member as is my nephew. They did their best to have rooms ready on the same floor as early as possible. It turned out to be 2 hours later. They didn't seem to have a clear system for determining if a room was ready or not. Once they did assign our rooms, one was still not cleaned. Also, my SPG status was not recognized at check in. I had to ask about getting my Gold benefits. I often make the green choice for points instead of maid service. I have not had good experience in general with this program in the past. I have often had to ask several times to get credit. Once I never got credit. The W was no exception. I had to ask twice. This was due to a pleasant but rather indifferent front desk woman. I encountered her several times during my stay, always pleasant but not overly motivated to volunteer information. I always had to ask.

The rooms too could also be described as trendy. The decor is modern and minimalist. The room is equipped with lots of convenience items for sale, one free bottle of water, complimentary toiletries, a safe and a sound machine. I usually travel with one of these to help me sleep through strange sounds at hotels but I have never encountered a hotel that provided one. There was a window seat too. I found the bed comfortable though not as comfortable as most Sheratons and Westins. The shower was adequate but should have a hand-held massage feature considering the luxury level of this hotel. We discovered the free wifi on our own since this information was volunteered to us at check in.

There is a small swimming pool on the roof with a bar, cabanas, lounge chairs, a ping-pong table and deck. Much of the cabanas are reserved for private affairs so public space seemed very limited. The drinks are VERY expensive.

Price-wise, I consider the W moderately high. For the price I was expecting a bit more. The positives are cleanliness, location and style. The negatives are noise, crowds and service that is not exceptional. We enjoyed our stay in general so they get 4 stars. They would need to earn the 5th star.

Room tip: Higher rooms are quieter
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank catdad
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

I love this hotel chain and this location didn't disappoint . well maintained rooms with a trendy and modern style comfortable beds lots of in room amenities. Coffee available in the mornings . Glamorous rooftop pool . Only negative was I had a room viewing the same level as the car parking lot and felt the need to keep the blinds down . But in hollywood who stays in their room ! Directly above metro so easy to get around . Right outside shuttle to airport . Everything on your doorstop

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank queen_of_the_skys
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed in the "marvelous suite" and it lived up to its name! Ashton at concierge even surprised us with a complementary bottle of Grey Goose , OJ, champagne, and a welcome note thanking us for choosing to stay at the property. Trust me, it was our pleasure! The Bliss spa products and complementary grooming kits and toiletries were so fabulous, had I known they provided so much, I could have skipped packing all of my own.
The bars and bar tenders were amazing. The sweet young girl at the lobby bar offered to get me blue cheese olives for my martini even though it was not a menu item. I told her not to worry but she insisted! That is the type of service that that makes the difference between ordinary and extraordinary.
The location of the hotel is great if your looking for a true Hollywood experience. You can walk or uber pretty much everywhere. I will absolutely recommend this hotel to any friends, family, or clients of mine in the future. My one and only recommendation or criticism is that black out shades would be pretty awesome especially considering that someone staying in the "marvelous suite" is probably going to be out all night and sleeping all day. At least that was the case for us anyways. I don't think a small detail like that warrants reducing my 5 star rating though.
Thanks for the great time! We look forward to our next visit!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2016

We enjoyed our stay at the W Hollywood. It was our first time visiting LA but not really looking to do all the traditional touristy things... but if you are then this could be a fantastic base for you since it is located right off the highway and right on the walk of fame and near the Chinese Theater, etc. There is a Traders Joes and a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance which ended up being handy when we needed our morning coffee (the complimentary coffee at the W is not good) and also for when we needed to grab a few bottles of water on the way to a hike we did. Traffic isn't so good around this area (but, hey, that's LA I guess) and it was very simple and quick to get an Uber here. The lounge bar gets pretty busy at night and maybe would be a good spot for some quick pre-drinks before heading out if you had some time to kill. We did not go there ourselves because the crowd seemed a little odd to us... not sure how to describe it, but they seemed to be a bit older with some random touristy types sprinkled in, all were dressed to the nines and very stiff. I don't know, the vibe just didn't strike me as a "cool" place to be and like everyone there was trying very hard to be cool. Sorry if that sounds harsh but thats how we felt about it! (For reference, we are two girls in our mid-twenties). Front desk staff was a little slow at times when we needed help but over all this W location is pretty good and I'd probably recommend it to a friend if they were really having a hard time finding somewhere to stay. But honestly, it's a little over priced and I'd probably encourage them to find a cooler spot closer to West Hollywood if they were looking to do less touristy stuff and more local, trendy, celeb hot spots. Hotel was very clean and that's a huge thing for me, however I feel that for the money spent it SHOULD be spotless. Oh and another thing that really bothered us was the Wifi is not free. I have stayed at W hotels in Chile, Miami Beach and now LA so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this as I remember being annoyed by this in the past but I mean come on-- even Holiday Inn offers free Wifi! You might also want to ask for a room facing Hollywood Blvd. Our room faced an alley so our view was legit just a big white wall. That's it. Just a white wall with no hint of sky or anything lol

Room tip: Ask for a room facing Hollywood Blvd. Our room faced an alley so our window view was legit just a big white wall.
Date of stay: August 2016