“Wanted to try something different - so glad we did!”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #148 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Long Beach, California
“Wanted to try something different – so glad we did!”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I was tired of the same large hotel chains and decided to take my money elsewhere. I saw the Hotel Figueroa across from the Staples Center and LA Live and decide to give it a try. You walk in and go back in time into what seems to be an old Moroccan movie set. The 13 story building was built in 1926 but the novelty and experience was still very new and exciting. We were welcomed by the hotel’s very charming and helpful proprietor. He gave us a few recommendations for dinner and sites to view around town. What I noticed were the other hotel guests were also enthralled with unique décor and artwork and tapestries around the hotel and expressed their liking of the hotel. The staff was conscientious and we were never lost in a crowd. The rooms are decorated with the same theme and made it very fun. The hotel is surrounded by giant modern hotel chains and food establishments so the only problem is making decisions as to what you want to eat. One recommendation made by the hotel manager was to go across the street to the neighboring hotel’s 26th floor and enjoy the views. The views were breathtaking! The Figueroa’s pool is heated and the bar is a very nice place to hang out. It comes alive in the evening as many come to enjoy the unique vibe of this very different place. Our experience was positive and memorable. We will be back to this small oasis in the big city.

Room Tip: We liked the 12th floor. It has good views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank hppytrvler
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking time out to write, Makes it all worth while.
We have so much fun here. Last Saturday evening we had a wonderful party for 300 with a live camel, bellydancers, mermaids in the pool, snakecharmers, henna artists..tonight Shopzilla with a casino and other entertainers...then February 12 with a big Grammy party..perhaps the economy is picking up...
Hope to see you again..Prosecco is on me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I used to come to the Figueroa Hotel as a professional tour guide with groups for many years. After I moved back to Europe, I did not have the opportunity to visit until recently. Wow, the place has gotten only better. If you are looking for a tourist class hotel with all the amenities yet centrally located, this is your place. The price is right, the comfort is certainly all there, the location is incredible being right next to the Staple Center and the new L.A Live complex in downtown LA. The "A1" goes to the service, as always. The staff is not only friendly and accommodating, it feels like they really care about you - rare in this world. The Moroccan theme, mixed with early California genuine artifacts from that era, enhance the appeal. Blanka M. Lukes from Prague

Room Tip: Great steak dinner. Yes, there are places around to eat but if you are tired, stay in and have a gr...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you very much. I seem to remember when you were tour guiding the area was not that great. The Staples center was really the catalyst in reforming this whole area. The Ritz and JW are brand new and the ownership of the old Holiday Inn across the sreet have done a wonderful
job I am told in transforming it into a Luxe hotel.
All good for us since their rates should be considerably higher than ours.
With all the people around at night, Lakers, Clippers, Kings and concerts. our guests feel special and secure as I did when I spent time in Prag as a young man.
Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2012

this was a great change from the cookie cutter hotels. I go on vacation every year to new cities and watch hockey games. Hotel Fig was originally picked for being close to the venue, but it turns out it was a nice relaxing place to stay. Check in went smoothly and having an Old School key was kind of cool. The lobby is so cool, some nice decorations and a piano too. Of course, you need to know how to play or Uno will get "mad". PS. I can't play that well. We got to our room (#930) and it was just as the picture looked. Very roomy and nicely decorated. The beds were super soft (I think they are new) the room had 2 closets (we missed the 2nd one for a couple hours) and a little fridge too. Again the room was way bigger than the normal hotels. The room had a non-working old piano and that is where the TV was located. I think they should get some new TV's. it's a good distance away from the beds, so a new one would help (even though we were not in room alot). The windows even opened, so it was nice to have fresh air, well LA air. The bathroom, as others have mentioned, was not super big, but it worked out perfect for us. The shower head needs to be a little higher as quick fix. Maid service was done and on one sleep in day they even called to ask if we wanted maid service. We had plans for most of our stay, but we did stop at the hotel bar and it was nice, not many bottled beers. Having onsite parking was nice, it was $12 a day, so not bad for the area. Overall, we had a blast and Hotel Fig will be used in the future.

Room Tip: if you want a big room with 2 beds ask for #930!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Sausalito, California
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Since 87 I have been staying here. I have watched the hotel change as art is added or made on the walls, ceiling, doors, poolside or elsewhere in the hotel. I have stayed in grand rooms, and often tiny rooms, which made me enjoy the estethics of the lobby and pool even more.
Just as special as the hotel are the 2 fabulous managers, Uno and Elise. I have watched them deal with a full hotel and a major earthquake, The wine flowed at 3 A M. I have also watched them deal with snobby guests as they must explain the hotel rules. I have also been helped by them over the years as my business went up and down. Also there staff is very warm and loyal. It was always good to come back and see many faces that had been there for years. '
You cannot beat the originality, art and friendliness of this hotel and there staff.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. If you are buying at a discount you will get a small room. The rooftop sui...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank marty b
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
We will miss you. Your roaring laughter resonated through the lobby, particularly after a few margaritas. We have given away a lot of complimentary rooms over the years to loyal guests when their business was tough. .I believe you are heading to Vietnam to teach English. I did notice a few grammatical errors in your review which have to be corrected before you start teaching.,Hope to see you and your wife at some stage,,we will assign Casa Vogue for you on the roof,,,complimentary.
All the best.
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Others words that come to mind are romantic, intimate and fun. The place is eye candy for people tired of sterile, cookie cutter hotels. It's an exotic paradise without ever leaving the Continental US . The owner was hands on and available for a private tour. When next I visit LA, I know where I will be staying…

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anne b
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking time out to write. I view myself as the old style European innkeeper and taking people on tours of the hotel is the highlight of my day..then again I also like a cognac at poolside at night after a long day..thank you again,,,when you return let me know so that I at least can assign a decent room.