All reviews rooftop deck venice beach santa monica homeless people ocean front sidewalk cafe panoramic ocean view drum circle great rooftop muscle beach awesome location the ground floor one bedroom suite sofa bed late at night street noise definitely stay here again
Reviewed 26 December 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights in December and enjoyed every moment. The clever design of the totally equipped kitchen becoming a divider to a separate bedroom area was perfect. The view, if you get a beach-facing suite, is tranquil and relaxing, watching the sunset over the water every night. We also took advantage of the rooftop garden by bringing our meals up there a few times.

The bed was extremely comfortable, the rain shower felt invigorating, and the on-site manager was helpful if we needed anything. The exposed brick wall was a charming touch.

Convenient to the beach, Santa Monica pier, and including parking, you couldn't ask for a better location.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Ideal location between Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier. Top class apartment and facilities, loved the roof terrace after a long trans-Atlantic flight. Has all mod-cons, our only advice would be to provide some kind of welcome pack (milk, coffee etc) for a fee. Trying to find supplies straight off the plane was more than our jet-lagged brains could deal with!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I was very pleased with my stay at the suites. It was very convenient for me and the price was right. While it is true that the neighborhood can be a bit shady at night, I was not at all uncomfortable. Mike, the suites' manager, was helpful and pleasant. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2009

We visit Los Angeles frequently and decided to stay in Venice for the first time. The building has been recently renovated and the rooms are great. The owners did a fantastic job of designing and decorating the rooms. Ours had a small kitchen and dining area, which were convenient for eating in. There is also a great rooftop deck with a grill. Unfortunately, housekeeping did not clean the dishes used by the previous guests. This is not a full-service hotel, so we had to clean the dishes ourselves. The bathroom, though, was clean and well designed. Other updated amenities included the AC system and flat-panel TV with DVD player. The building itself is quite old, so we easily heard our neighbors through the thin walls. Furthermore, the hotel is located on the Boardwalk, which can be a very festive place on the weekend. The Venice Drum Circle played each day in front of the hotel until 10pm. We were away from the room much of time, but this would definitely be an inconvenience for anyone who goes to bed early or wants to take a midday nap. Speaking of bed, we have slept in hotels all over the world and this has to be one of the worst beds we have encountered. It was extremely soft and we woke up each morning with sore backs. Another thing to consider is the parking situation. Parking is provided in the garage of a building five blocks away. There are a number of transients in the Venice Beach area, especially at night. While we are accustomed to transients in our urban environment back home, the walk between the garage and hotel made us uncomfortable at night. There are some shortcomings that hopefully management will address over time. However, it is hard to find a Los Angeles hotel on the beach with nice rooms for this reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ValleyTraveller76
Reviewed 10 January 2009

First off, I would like to point at that I am a professional travel writer and photographer. I don't contribute to this or any other review sites on a regular basis. But once in a while, when I feel inclined to share an experience with a wider audience (and not just to the readership of the magazines I contribute articles to), I'll post a review. This is such an occasion.

Moving along...

After having stayed at several other hotels on or near the boardwalk in Venice Beach and Santa Monica, I have finally found a gem, the Venice Breeze Suites.

In my opinion, most of the smaller hotels (and a couple of the bigger ones) are in desperate need of an entirely new concept.

And even if plenty of these hotels marketing efforts often play to the tune of being "surf funky" and "bohemian chic", the apparent truth is that the owners care very little about keeping their properties in good shape – and even less about their guests' experiences. Its sad really – and I've had some pretty bad experiences at some pretty steep rates.

The Venice Breeze Suites (which, by the way, I in no way have any affiliation with) is an exception to the rule. They have recently renovated the entire building – which, I have been told, previously was in pretty dire straits. This used to be a residential apartment building – and it still is. Studios can be rented on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

I stayed "The Breeze" for five nights in January 2009 (Jan 1-6) and enjoyed my best L.A. beach hotel experience so far. The friendly and service minded staff played a big part in this. But more importantly, the rooms at this hotel are nothing less than marvelous. Not just because the competition is in sad shape either.

The studio we stayed in (#203) was decorated and planned to be both cozy and functional – and was just that. I don't know who did the thoughtful interior design, but it definitely made our stay an enjoyable one. I think not having to look at (let alone make use of) ugly, worn and torn furniture and rugs makes a huge difference.

We also liked taking advantage of our studio's gorgeous and fully equipped kitchenette and using an clean, neat and nice looking bathroom. Which, when your traveling with kids, is pretty important.

Flat screen TV, free WiFi and local calls all add to the overall positive impression – as did the awesome view on the rooftop lounge.

The only negative of our stay there was that the phone system didn't work very well – making it difficult for friends to call directly to our room. A technical glitch that I'm sure was soon corrected.

Not everybody appreciates the crazies, wannabe hippies, "artists" and trashy culture along the Venice Beach Boardwalk. But if you can or even, like me, enjoy it once and a while, Venice Breeze Suites is the hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Joakim L